PDA

View Full Version : Do these things work? SHOP FOX LATHE ATTACHMENT FOR DRILL PRESS D4088

Frederick Skelly
09-04-2016, 12:19 PM
Hi guys,
I dont really have the desire or the floor space for a lathe. BUT, Im tired of shaping various file handles by hand. All I really want to do is to be able to shape a round or conical handle, starting from either square stock or a dowel rod. I dont have a desire to begin turning - that seems like a whole 'nother hobby/investment.

Has anyone tried something like this gizmo? It's only $50, but I'm skeptical as to whether it actually works, and concerned that using it may put undue wear on my drill press.
https://www.amazon.com/D4088-Lathe-Attachment-Drill-Press/dp/B005W16YJS

Anyone have experience here, thoughts, alternative ideas, etc?

Thank you.
Fred

Bill White
09-04-2016, 12:32 PM
Standard opinion is that side loading DP bearing is not a good thing. Having said that, I have used my old King Seeley/Craftsman as a milling machine on occasion without detriment.
Bill

Frederick Skelly
09-04-2016, 5:46 PM
Thanks Bill!
Fred

Jim Becker
09-04-2016, 6:21 PM
For very occasional use, something like that can be helpful, but as Bill mentioned, they are not the best thing for the way the DP is designed. DPs are about "up and down" and one doesn't generally put any lateral pressure on them.

Frederick Skelly
09-04-2016, 6:25 PM
Thanks Jim!

Dick Brown
09-04-2016, 6:38 PM
If I were to use one to shape file handles, I wouldn't use lathe tools. I would use a 4-1/2" angle grinder with a flapper sanding disc. Very little side thrust and no catches. (Stay away from the tool rest!) You will need dust collection!!!!!

Frederick Skelly
09-04-2016, 7:45 PM
If I were to use one to shape file handles, I wouldn't use lathe tools. I would use a 4-1/2" angle grinder with a flapper sanding disc. Very little side thrust and no catches. (Stay away from the tool rest!) You will need dust collection!!!!!

Thanks for the idea Dick!