PDA

View Full Version : Shop Vac and Hand Power Tools

ramone kalsaw
09-04-2016, 2:03 AM
Hello ... a pretty general question. I need to get a wet-dry shop vac and a hand sander. What do i need to know when purchasing hand power tools so that they can be hooked up to the vac?

Thanks!

I found this on Handyman Mag:

A smaller 1-1/4 in. hose is great for flexibility

http://cdn1.tmbi.com/TFH/Step-By-Step/display/FH04NOV_CONDUS_03.JPG
Use a 1-1/4-in. hose for mobilityThe smaller 1-1/4-in. hose is easier to adapt to portable tools and is much easier to maneuver than the 2-1/2-in. hose.

Buy a 6-ft. (or longer) length of 1-1/4 in. hose to connect directly to hand power tools. Then connect the 1-1/4 in. hose to the standard 2-1/2 in. vacuum hose with a plastic friction fit coupling. The smaller hose is light and flexible compared with the larger hose. No drag, no kinks. You’ll barely notice the 1-1/4 in. hose as you move the saw, sander or other tool across the work piece. Most sanders have dust ports, but relatively few circular saws and routers have them.

Paul F Franklin
09-04-2016, 8:03 AM
You'll find that dust port sizes are not standardized, so it's best to have the tool(s) in hand to get the right pieces. Based on recommendations here I bought this hose: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AV78B/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it fits many of my portable tools. They make an anti static version as well, and festool makes a similar version.

Woodcraft makes an adapter set with a short hose that adapts to multiple size ports; but I find the hose too heavy for use with lighter portable tools.

Jim Andrew
09-04-2016, 9:55 AM
I had to buy an adapter for my Bosch ROS to connect to the vac hose. The 1 1/4" hose works fine. Trouble is keeping your cord and hose from causing you trouble, I wind the cord around the hose to try to keep them together, and usually put the pair around my neck to keep them out of the way of the sander. Bit of a pain, but beats breathing and eating dust.

Mike Cutler
09-04-2016, 10:55 AM
Ramone

As stated, it seems that there is no standard for hose connection size, unless you go Festool. There are however many after market adapters of one sort or another to accomplish the task and a little duct tape here and there will help too. I have a 1- 1/2" Tygon hose that I use with hose clamps also.
I would pick the vacuum first. If it's going to be used in an enclosed shop environment, stay away from the cheap banshee screamers at the big box stores. Their just not worth it.
I have a Fein Turbo II and have used it one way or another with every power tool I own that has a dust port hookup, and some that don't.

Gene Takae
09-05-2016, 1:56 AM
I like this one better. Hose diameter is 1" and per an inquiry I had with Shopvac smaller diameter results in greater velocity.
https://www.amazon.com/Collection-Power-Fittings-Peachtree-Woodworking/dp/B000XXXT9S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473054764&sr=8-1&keywords=power+tool+vacuum+hose
This is made by Porter Cable- very easy to move the tool.