PDA

View Full Version : Searching for a post that mentions Everbrite or Protectaclear

Bernie Fraser
09-03-2016, 4:14 AM
Hi guys,
I am searching for a post where somebody was talking about protecting brass placed outside from tarnishing by using Everbrite or Protectaclear. I have used the search function for those two words and also searched for brass protecting but have not found the post I was looking for.

I have laser engraved Stainless Steel and Brass on my Rayjet 30 Watt laser using Cermark and the mark on Stainless is very durable and with the Brass I have had it for over a year now and cleaned it several times with Brasso and nothing has polished off so I would like to be able to offer customers a laser engraved memorial plaque for their pet that they can place outside. I remember reading about the post maybe 8 months ago but I cannot find it. I just like to read the recommendations of other users before I buy some as the shipping to Australia is expensive. The laser engraved brass feels so much more high value and I think it will be easier to sell as a product over the Plastic laminate versions.

Cheers, Bernie

Mike Null
09-03-2016, 6:50 AM
I would be inclined to run down to my nearest auto body repair shop and ask them to spray an automotive clear coat on it.

Also consider Corian or one of the Corain wannabes for outside work. It will hold up better than brass--at least in terms of maintenance.

Bernie Fraser
09-03-2016, 8:38 AM
Thanks Mike, that Corian does look great.

Kev Williams
09-03-2016, 11:53 AM
I made some 2 x 6" engravers brass plates for our local police that I clearcoated with Rustoleum. The clear worked great but only lasted a couple of years, and that was being mounted vertically on a stone facing east, no afternoon sun.

I haven't tried this but I've wondered how 2-part liquid plastic would work...

Bernie Fraser
09-03-2016, 4:26 PM
Kev I thought there was someone on this forum that coated the brass with Everbrite and had good results. If you read about it on their website it is flexible and will not yellow.

Ross Moshinsky
09-03-2016, 6:11 PM
Here you go: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?245849-Exterior-Grade-Clear-Coat-for-Brass

The company Paul suggested will send you a 4oz sample to try out for free (at least they did for me). This customer didn't want to pony up the cash so they ended up settling on sublimated brass and only putting the signs inside.

All you need to apply is a reasonable sized compressor and a gun with a .8mm tip. I'm sure if you went a little larger it would work fine.

Bernie Fraser
09-03-2016, 9:33 PM
Thanks for that Ross, no wonder it didn't come up in the searches it is a completely different product mentioned in the thread. Looks like the Everbrite can be applied with a brush or applicator where the products mentioned in the thread need to be sprayed. Thanks for finding the thread.

Cheers, Bernie