PDA

View Full Version : Weird experience at Sears

Dan Friedrichs
09-02-2016, 11:14 PM
LOML wanted a treadmill desk. But not just any treadmill desk - she wanted one that can go FAST. Because who doesn't want to be running 12MPH while typing? :)

So I looked around and found the (one) treadmill desk on the market that met all her specs. I found it on Amazon for $1275 (and free freight!), but thought I'd Google Shopper it quick before pulling the trigger at Amazon.

Well, Google said Sears had it for $875. I am young enough that Sears has been a disaster my entire life - I don't know that I've ever bought anything from them. The nearby Sears store is downright scary. And it's Sears - do they even know how to use the internet?

But their website said they had this treadmill for cheap, and free ship-to-store. So I bought it, thoroughly expecting that there would be some disaster and it would never show up or show up broke or I'd get the wrong model, etc. The email said it would be ready in 5 days. 4 days later, I get an email that it's ready. I drive to the store, and walk into a back door labeled "Merchandise Pickup". The "Merchandise Pickup" room is straight out of 1975, except for a gleaming computer terminal telling me to scan a barcode from my smartphone. Ok. A big sign says that if my order isn't ready in 5 minutes, I get a $5 gift card. So I'm standing here thinking there is no way they're going to find this treadmill and bring it out in less than 5 minutes, and what the heck would I want at Sears for $5, anyways? But 2 minutes later, two big guys show up with a treadmill on a pallet jack. They put it in my vehicle for me and helped me tie it down. Got it home, and it's in perfect shape.

To say I'm confused is an understatement :/

Rich Riddle
09-02-2016, 11:30 PM
I have absolutely no problem with Sears and never have. I purchase things all the time from them and do merchandise pickup. You can find some good deals on tools as well.

Gerry Grzadzinski
09-03-2016, 6:44 AM
I can't believe that there are people that have never bought anything from Sears??

Kevin Womer
09-03-2016, 7:22 AM
Love their wrenches and sockets, but power tools from Sears in their brand name, I avoid like the plague. My Dad had several and I didn't care for them.

Frederick Skelly
09-03-2016, 7:23 AM
So, you were willing to risk a crappy experience to save $400, but it almost sounds like you were disappointed they did well? :D:D:D

Who cares if the back room pickup area looks old - you saved $400 Dan! Tell Momma it's your turn and go buy a nice hand tool with the savings! Lee Valley just came out with a new line of mortise chisels that look promising, and a Lie Neilsen hand plane is always a delightful purchase!

(Stepping onto my soap box now). You wanna do something nice for someone? Why not copy your post into a (:eek:) hardcopy letter and mail it to that Sears' Manager or to Corporate? Those guys are taking a beating and a "hey, somebody noticed" letter might make somebody's day. They desperately WANT somebody like you - a young professional who never shops there - to feel they still have something to offer. Even if you never intend to go there again, it would be a kind gesture. (Ok. Stepping off the soap box now.)

Enjoy your new hand tool!

Best regards,
Fred

Stan Calow
09-03-2016, 11:05 AM
I can remember when "Sears has Everything" was their motto. I find lots of bargains at my local Sears, and yeah, its pretty shabby, but worth checking first. I understand that their online shopping is run independently from the stores, and they are desperately trying to compete in that market.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-03-2016, 11:11 AM
In the first 15 years of our marriage, Sears was our "go-to" store for everything. It started during the 8 years I spent in the Navy. I bought my first set of Sears Roadhandlers steel belted radial tires after reading an article in Scientific American, IIRC in the early 70's. I worked in the warehouse for Sears in Meridian, MS while I was stationed there in the Navy. We shopped at Sears because regardless of where the Navy might send me, there was almost always a Sears store nearby and the sign over the door said "Satisfaction Guaranteed". After getting out of the Navy, my profession required me to wear suits daily. I bought my suits at Sears. If I was out of town on business, I could buy "mix and match" jackets and vests to go with those suits to extend my wardrobe when I was out of town. It was only in the late 80's we saw the quality of service and merchandise begin to go down. Our Sears retail store locally closed some years ago. A Sears appliance store opened up a year or two later. We bought a new refrigerator there 2 years ago because they could deliver before Thanksgiving and not after Thanksgiving like HD would.

Glad to hear you had a good experience!

Mel Fulks
09-03-2016, 11:14 AM
Well said ,Frederick. But now you need to ditch the soap box and buy a podium from Sears! I think they have three quality grades; ...just like with the tarps,underwear,screwdrivers,and "trusses". STANDARD grade is good for things like "yelling at people who try to get away without cleaning up after their dog". DELUXE grade is "great for thanking the family for birthday presents and rebuking them for "wasting stuff". "Premium" grade is a must for those aspiring to elected office and has an almost bullet proof clear screen.

Dave Lehnert
09-03-2016, 1:25 PM
I get some fantastic deals from Sears.
If you have a "Shop Your Way" rewards card (Good at Sears and Kmart) they add surprise points all the time. Points =$$$$$
I received a message the other day that with my points I could get a Name brand convertible hand truck for like $20. Same truck sells for around $80 on popular store web site.

Sears is not what it use to be but for some reason people just refuse to buy from them and miss out on some deals.

John K Jordan
09-03-2016, 1:46 PM
That's typical for Sears around here too.

JKJ

Frederick Skelly
09-03-2016, 2:00 PM
Well said ,Frederick. But now you need to ditch the soap box and buy a podium from Sears! I think they have three quality grades; ...just like with the tarps,underwear,screwdrivers,and "trusses". STANDARD grade is good for things like "yelling at people who try to get away without cleaning up after their dog". DELUXE grade is "great for thanking the family for birthday presents and rebuking them for "wasting stuff". "Premium" grade is a must for those aspiring to elected office and has an almost bullet proof clear screen.

:):):):):):)

Wade Lippman
09-03-2016, 2:04 PM
They screwed up, and got it right; even a stopped clock...

I bought 4 WS3000 from them a few years back for $10 each. The clerk assured me it was a really good buy.
Other than that, I haven't shopped there in 15 years.