PDA

View Full Version : Varieties of onions

Stephen Tashiro
09-02-2016, 10:41 PM
I always buy white onions at the local grocery stores and I've never found any recipe where yellow onions are superior. The red onions are are nearly the equal of white onions for most purposes. For what purposes are yellow onions the onion of choice ?

Mel Fulks
09-03-2016, 12:00 AM
We consider white and red for uncooked ,salads,sandwiches. Yellow for cooking as they are stronger tasting and have some power left after flavoring the feature.

Rich Engelhardt
09-03-2016, 5:14 AM
I've never found any recipe where yellow onions are superior. I'm just the opposite - -I prefer Yellow - - but - - I'm a "sensory" junkie. I like my onions to give me a "stink face" when I eat them.
All except Vidalia that is.....

George Bokros
09-03-2016, 5:59 AM
I'm just the opposite - -I prefer Yellow - - but - - I'm a "sensory" junkie. I like my onions to give me a "stink face" when I eat them.
All except Vidalia that is.....

I am with Rich. I like a strong onion for cooking. I like the white or red for salads. When Vidalia are availalabe they are my salad choice.

Wayne Lomman
09-03-2016, 6:00 AM
Brown onions keep longer. Not that it matters to me - I have a resident vampire who is allergic to garlic and onions so our house is Allium free. Cheers

David Helm
09-03-2016, 12:35 PM
Since I grow my own onions I never have white ones. For immediate eating I grow Walla Walla Sweets. For salad I grow reds. For keeping through the winter I grow yellow storage. Never understood the purpose of white onions.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-03-2016, 12:57 PM
We enjoy them all. Especially like Walla Walla sweets when they are available.

Mike Chance in Iowa
09-03-2016, 4:59 PM
Brown onions keep longer. Not that it matters to me - I have a resident vampire who is allergic to garlic and onions so our house is Allium free. Cheers

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the smell of onions growing in the garden and used to drive by a leek field every day that smelled wonderful. I like the taste of white onions in soup. Walla Walla's & red onions are tasty in salads. I have used yellow or white to make my own pico de gallo.

Unfortunately I have to keep my onion & garlic intake low. I'm one of those vampires too. (It's amazing how much those 2 flavorings are used in everything!) A few years ago I discovered I cannot be around onions or garlic frying in a skillet. Someone in a small store was cooking onions on a hot plate in the aisle and I couldn't understand why everyone was standing around as if nothing was wrong while I felt like I was in a burning building with thick smoke in my eyes and molten lava pouring down my throat and a sudden pounding headache. Once out of the store and into the fresh air I was fine, but now it's hard for me to be around any cooking where onion or garlic particles are floating in the air.