PDA

View Full Version : Water Softener Thoughts

John Weber
09-29-2005, 9:53 AM
Hi guys,

Our Water Boss softener is giving us trouble yet again, I've decided maybe it's just time for a new softener rather then repair (it's around 6 years old). Any ideas on a good system. Just looking for a decent simple softener that is not expensive, I don't really need any other filtering etc..., but do need decent capacity.

Thanks - John

Keith Hall
09-29-2005, 10:37 AM
John, I sold water softeners for about eight years. Sears has the Kenmore brand softener made by Ecodyne Mfg in Wisconsin. They are the largest mfg in the world. You may knock Sears, but the product is good. I have had one in my home for 7 yrs and no problems. You mentioned the fact that you do not need filters. IMHO, no installation is complete without a whole house filter between the water supply and the softener. More service calls are from sediment in the valve than any other reason. They are cheap enough at about thirty dollars at most home conters. Also put a shut-off valve ahead of the filter for convenience of changing the filter. I had softeners in my laundramats by other mfgs. but they were commercial types.

Woody VonDielingen
09-29-2005, 1:20 PM
John, I see you are in eastern Indiana. I'm in Indianapolis and have had Aqua Systems water softeners for over 25 yrs. The one we have now is 14 yrs old and no service calls, but we are on city water so I'm sure that helps. You can get them as fancy or plain as you want. I know they have a couple of locations in Indy with the main office on the west side.
No connecion, just satisfied customer.
Good luck,
Woody

Matt Meiser
09-29-2005, 1:25 PM
We went with a local company who does nothing but water treatment. They came out and tested our water and set everything up. We've had it for close to two years now with 0 problems (knock on wood.) Our system is made up of multiple components they purchase separately. The same company will come out and fill the salt and check the unit once a month, but we don't pay for that.

Les Spencer
09-29-2005, 2:07 PM
John,

I concur with Woody. I live in the Indianapolis area and have had Aqua System softners in my last 2 houses (over a fifteen year period) with no problems.:D

Boyd Gathwright
09-30-2005, 1:23 AM
.... John, What kind of problems are you having with your Water Boss? Do you have the larger or the smaller unit? Are you on a well or city water? With a Water Boss you do not have to purchase an additional filter. It comes with a 20 micron filter built in, as I recall, and it backwashes itself with each regeneration. They say you should test your water once a year but realistically most people are lucky if they check 3 to 5 years. As I understand it, a Water Boss unit should last 15 years or so, as long as you keep salt in the tank and there's little or no iron in your water and the PH is correct. I think there is a heavy duty regeneration setting on your machine that really scrubs the beads (inside the sealed tank) if they are folded.

.... Hope these questions and suggestions help you resolve your problem economically and doesn't cost you a bundle. Keep us posted, I for one am very much interested in the problem and how you resolve it.

Good luck ;).

Boyd

Hi guys,

Our Water Boss softener is giving us trouble yet again, I've decided maybe it's just time for a new softener rather then repair (it's around 6 years old). Any ideas on a good system. Just looking for a decent simple softener that is not expensive, I don't really need any other filtering etc..., but do need decent capacity.

Thanks - John