PDA

View Full Version : Best non-commercial software for creating woodworking plans?

Chris Lukowski
09-02-2016, 11:26 AM
What software would you recommend for a DIY hobbyist to use for non-commercial woodworking design? I briefly played around with SketchUp Make (since I don't want to shell out for their $600 Pro version) but it seems limited when it comes to converting the end-result 3D drawing into other views that would help with construction, like exploded views, multi-profile views for printing, and cut lists. Is there anything out there that does this without having to shell out big bucks?

Andy Giddings
09-02-2016, 11:36 AM
Chris, about the only free software package I've used that does most of what you need is Autodesk Fusion. I switch between Sketchup Make and Fusion depending on the number of components in what I'm building. Fusion is better for me in producing component drawings. I don't believe either will produce a cutlist without some sort of addon. I use Cutlist Plus as a separate program for that purpose

Matt Day
09-02-2016, 11:44 AM
Sketchup.

Chris Lukowski
09-02-2016, 11:51 AM
Sketchup.

The Make or Pro version?

Dave Richards
09-02-2016, 11:53 AM
I create lots of detailed furniture plans using SketchUp. Exploded views and three-views of the parts are easily created. Dimensions and labels can also be added (although that's much more full-featured in LayOut) and there's at least one free extension that will generate cutlists from the Sketchup model. I use SketchUp pro so I can use LayOut for the documentation part but it can be done with Make. You would just need to export the various scenes as images for the plan document.

Daniel O'Neill
09-02-2016, 12:20 PM
I use AutoCAD at work and a little bit of Sketchup at home. It's hard to switch between the two sometimes but cost makes it so. I would say give yourself some time to use sketchup. I got some help here on how to make exploded views etc. and it turns out pretty well. Hope you get the designs you want.

Chris Padilla
09-02-2016, 12:26 PM
Sketch Up is the best...mostly because it is free. It has a plugin available for it called CutList. It works pretty well...not prefect...but will get you pretty darn close.

Richard McComas
09-02-2016, 12:50 PM
This may be of interest to some of you. It's is a copy and past of a post from another forum.

This is a copy and past from another forum but it's easier than me typing it all out.

I was looking at current 3D cad programs available today when I ran across a notice that said the Solidworks will provide a Veteran with the Student version of their CAD program. All that is required is the Vet upload a copy of their DD-214 (blacken out your SSN). I did that. They sent me an email with a link to proceed with the purchase. Total cost $20.00. That is not a typo – Twenty Dollars!!!
Solidworks is one of the premier CAD programs and when purchased by a business will run $5000+ for the first seat. The Student version is a fully functioning 3D cad program with incredible capabilities. You do need a newer Computer 64K operating system to run it. (It took 2 hours to load.) I am stunned by the offer. If you take the time to do the tutorials provided – you will have professional CAD capabilities at your fingertips for next to no cost.
I am not associated with Solidworks in any way, shape or form.

https://store.solidworks.com/veterans/de...mand=Step1

Chris Lukowski
09-02-2016, 12:51 PM
Sketch Up is the best...mostly because it is free. It has a plugin available for it call CutList. It works pretty well...not prefect...but will get you pretty darn close.

Do you know if it works with the new 2016 Make version? I remember coming across that plugin and some commenters were saying it broke with the latest update.

Dave Richards
09-02-2016, 12:56 PM
The cutlist extension works just fine in SketchUp 2016 Make.

Matt Day
09-02-2016, 1:31 PM
Just to let you know, Dave is kind of the man at Sketchup.

Chris Padilla
09-02-2016, 2:42 PM
Just to let you know, Dave is kind of the man at Sketchup.Not "kind of"....THE MAN! :D And 2016 and CutList work just fine together.

Martin Wasner
09-02-2016, 6:18 PM
My experience with Sketchup is I could build something in less time than the drawing takes.