PDA

View Full Version : Tablesaw arbor mystery

julian abram
09-02-2016, 11:06 AM
For some reason my 0690 tablesaw has become difficult to remove and install blades on the arbor. I can't figure out what is causing this problem. I've had the saw since it was new and it has had relatively light hobby use, certainly no abuse. I've never had difficulty removing and installing blades until the past few weeks. I have inspected the arbor and nut both visually and by feel but the threads appear to be in perfect condition. I've thought about purchasing a dye to run down on the arbor just in case there are some misaligned threads. Any one experience a problem like this on their tablesaw?

John Lankers
09-02-2016, 2:19 PM
You could try a light Lithium grease on the arbor. Next thread the nut on and tap it very lightly as you thread it, it is possible when you install a Dado set with shims that the - shims drop into the threads and deform them. If that doesn't do it a tap and dye may be your best option - unless someone else comes up with a better idea.

Doug Ladendorf
09-02-2016, 2:27 PM
You might try some bit and blade cleaner on the arbor. Could be pitch buildup.

Charles Lent
09-02-2016, 3:52 PM
Be careful with the tap and die idea.

Delta Unisaws have Acme Threads on their arbor and many other better brands of saws also have Acme threads on their arbors. An Acme thread is a square shaped thread and not pointed like common bolt threads. You will destroy it if you try to run a standard die on it, or a similar tap on the nut, even if the thread count is correct.

It might be better to first thoroughly clean the threads using paint thinner or WD-40 and a stiff bristle or wire brush. Do both the nut and the arbor, and then see if the nut screws onto the arbor easily. If it's still difficult to thread on, look carefully at both the arbor thread and the nut
thread to see if you can find any damage. You might then be able to touch the damaged spot up with a small machinist's file.

Charley

lee cox
09-02-2016, 4:11 PM
plus the treads are left hand. Don't try and tap and die set. They are for right hand threads and not acme threads.

Rick Moyer
09-02-2016, 5:28 PM
plus the treads are left hand. Don't try and tap and die set. They are for right hand threads and not acme threads.
????? uh, NO, they are not left handed threads. I spin my arbor nut on like regular right hand thread. I have a 0691, but basically the same saw.

lee cox
09-02-2016, 5:58 PM
????? uh, NO, they are not left handed threads. I spin my arbor nut on like regular right hand thread. I have a 0691, but basically the same saw.

You are right I went out and looked at my table saw. I guess it is the motor side.

glenn bradley
09-02-2016, 7:15 PM

This is just a left-tilt / right-tilt confusion. No worries.

David Kumm
09-02-2016, 8:26 PM
Does the blade get tight right from the beginning or just as it reaches the flange. The latter could be a flange that is slightly cocked but that would also show up in a wobbly blade when under power. If the nut goes on easily it shouldn't be the threads and I'm assuming the flange or washer still fits the arbor? Dave

larry senen
09-02-2016, 8:40 PM
My guess is you've got a small chip either in the threads of the arbor or the nut. Once you tighten down on a blade it's really difficult to see. Run a wire brush on both arbor and nut and see if that does it. I would avoid any oil or grease in the future because that would only attract saw dust.