View Full Version : Arauco (radiata) plywood

Jon Endres
09-02-2016, 10:32 AM
I have been a fan of the Arauco radiata pine plywood from Home Depot for some time now. They used to have an end cap of it that was restocked often, and the sheets usually remained flat and stable. I built a few shop carts and cabinets and some shelf units out of it. The face ply was thick enough to not sand through it, and it took paint and finishes very well. Plus cheap at about $35 a sheet. Now I cannot find it and I have tried several places. I would be willing to substitute a similar plywood but the price point is important. I'm not wanting to build shop cabinets out of $75+ per sheet plywood, and the "hardwood" plywood currently at Home Depot is of visibly poor quality. I have many Home Depots and Lowes, and a few independent yards, within 60 miles.

Having written all that, I would really like to find the Arauco stuff again. Does anybody know where this can be found (preferably in eastern NY or western New England)? I would be willing to drive 2-3 hours to buy a dozen sheets.

Tom Ewell
09-02-2016, 11:11 AM
Maybe contact Arauco directly through their website to locate resellers in your area.

The Lowes in my backyard is notorious for not keeping stuff around that I actually like. I suspect that certain prices points reflect their stocking agenda more so than actual quality offerings and brand loyalty.

I also liked the Arauco stuff, which was hyped up the ying yang when it first hit the local Lowes, now I supposed demand for the product reached the market tipping point calling for another price point adjustment and another brand.

Robin Frierson
09-02-2016, 11:40 AM
I been buying it at Lowes home improvement here in NC. Its now 37$ a sheet. I have used it myself setting up my new shop.

Peter Kelly
09-02-2016, 4:27 PM
I think Atlantic Plywood may be a distributor and they do have a warehouse in South Royalton Vermont. Trade only but they may be able to point you to a retailer: http://atlanticplywood.com/findrep.php?loc=10

If not Arauco, they certainly would have BB/BB multi-ply in 4x8s.

Jon Endres
09-10-2016, 7:48 PM
I found it! Home Depot stocked a full lift of the stuff just last week. Still the same material, that will work perfectly for shop cabinets.

John K Jordan
09-10-2016, 8:31 PM
I found it! Home Depot stocked a full lift of the stuff just last week. Still the same material, that will work perfectly for shop cabinets.

FWIW, I found it at a real lumberyard cheaper than HD. I like the stuff. I did buy a full bundle of 1/2" so maybe the contractor price made it cheaper. Our HD usually carries 3/4" and is closer so I've bought smaller quantities there.

JKJ

Ed Edwards
09-11-2016, 4:22 PM
FWIW, I found it at a real lumberyard cheaper than HD. I like the stuff. I did buy a full bundle of 1/2" so maybe the contractor price made it cheaper. Our HD usually carries 3/4" and is closer so I've bought smaller quantities there.

JKJ
So, John how cheap was it?

John K Jordan
09-11-2016, 4:53 PM
So, John how cheap was it?

Sorry, it was a couple of years ago and I don't remember.

JKJ

Wes Ramsey
09-12-2016, 12:10 PM
If you don't see it on the shelf I would ask at the contractor desk if they can order it. Last year I ordered 2 5x5 sheets of 1/2" BB plywood from Lowe's. Turns out the 5x5 sheets were considerably cheaper than 4x8 (~$28/sheet) and I never would have known if I didn't ask. They had them delivered to my store in 2 days from the distributor in Little Rock.

Tom Hyde
09-13-2016, 9:45 AM
I'm in Washington State but my local contractor's lumberyard stocks Arauco for $32.20 for 4x8 3/4. The also stock 5/8" which is nice for shop drawers, and 1/2". Arauco is made and marketed as underlayment for floors so the standards are higher, tends to have few voids and full thickness outer layer. I used to use MDO (signboard) for cabinets but last time I checked, the price was getting outrageous and supply was a problem. Still, with its tough waterproof facing I still really prefer it for drawers.

I also recently bought some 4x8 3/4" ACX for $43.32. I think I like it even better than Arauco. More plies, better face.