PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw tires: clean or replace

Paul Schaefer
09-02-2016, 12:35 AM
I bought a used Rikon 10-325 14" bandsaw with the original yellow urethane tires. The tires have a lot of big stubborn resin boogers on them. I've started cleaning the upper tire, and have discovered two divots on the tire: one is about half the size of a pencil eraser and fairly deep, the other is about 1/4" wide and 2/3rds the width of the tire. There's also a few abrasions where it looks like the blade came off the tire at some point. Should I keep cleaning, or should I just get a set of new tires? Looks like I can get a set of two off Amazon for around $30.

For what it's worth, the saw seemed very quiet and stable when I tested it before buying.

Larry Frank
09-02-2016, 7:22 AM
I would replace them now. I buy the tires from BandSaw Tire Warehouse on EBay and very pleased. I did call them to discuss what I needed and great customer service along with good price.

lowell holmes
09-02-2016, 8:02 AM
Why are you asking? How much do tires cost?

Michael Dye
09-02-2016, 8:04 AM
Zowie! They actually have a warehouse where they store bandsaw tires? Who would have thought? Anyway, great tip. I need a set for my 20" Rockwell and was wondering where to go other than OEM at $200 a set. Thanks

lowell holmes
09-02-2016, 8:08 AM
If you replace the tires, you may want to boil the tires in water to prepare for stretching them onto the wheels. The last time I changed tires on my saw I did not have to.

My saw has it's third set of tires.

Marc Burt
09-02-2016, 8:16 AM
I'd replace them. It probably won't take you any longer than what you're doing now and that way you won't have to worry about them.

Geoff Crimmins
09-02-2016, 11:02 AM
Zowie! They actually have a warehouse where they store bandsaw tires? Who would have thought? Anyway, great tip. I need a set for my 20" Rockwell and was wondering where to go other than OEM at $200 a set. Thanks

Woodworkers Toolworks sells really nice rubber tires that will fit your Rockwell bandsaw. Ditto for the Rikon. Just be sure to order a bottle of adhesive, and to crown the tires. I recently installed a pair of their tires on my Powermatic 141 and and quite happy with them.
http://store.woodworkerstoolworks.com/rubber-bandsaw-tire/

--Geoff

Paul Schaefer
09-02-2016, 1:09 PM
Lowell - I ask because based on my progress so far, it's going to take a few hours of cleaning to get all of the embedded resin clumps off. I'm going to be unhappy if I do all that work only to find that the divots in the tire cause an unacceptable level of vibration. I don't think that will be the case, but I don't know.

Actually I think I may have answered my own question. I'd rather drop $30-40 on new tires than sacrifice a couple hours of time I don't really have to clean the old ones.