PDA

View Full Version : From nothing to all the time--

Kev Williams
09-01-2016, 5:57 PM
I'm talking about the phenomenon of when you hear, or notice, or are exposed to something-anything- for the first time...
And then you seem to be bombarded with it afterwards? Is there a name for it?

I suppose this is common with 'new' things, especially new catch-phrases. Last one of those I remember was "No worries"...After that first time, it was like every single person I talked to afterward used it in conversation.

My lastest is a little different.

About 2 weeks ago one of my customers brought in one of their parts they were custom fabbing for one of their customers.
They wanted the Spacex logo laser etched onto it. No problem, and it turned out great! ;)

Then last week, one of my LONG time customers I haven't heard from in about 2 years sends me an email, wanting to know if I can laser etch stainless steel license plate frames, as the cheap aluminum ones he's been buying keep corroding from winter road salt. He sent a pic of his current frame...
He's been with them since right after the last time we talked...

Then this morning a Spacex F9-29 rocket blows up, taking out a Facebook satellite along with it...

"Facebook" is another one, but I digress ... ;)

A month ago I'd never heard of Spacex, then 3 times in 2 weeks, all from different sources...

Brian Elfert
09-01-2016, 8:52 PM
I find that when I buy a used item that I keep looking after the purchase and sometimes I see a better deal that just .....me off. I should quit looking after I buy something.

ken masoumi
09-01-2016, 10:51 PM
Watching CNN lately more often than before and I keep hearing,he or she " doubled down" on a comment .
another one :" bad optics".
There are few more but can't remember right now.

Matt Day
09-02-2016, 7:43 AM
I find this happens to me with cars. My 2 year old son loves Jeeps and we point them out whenever we drive now - I never noticed how many Jeeps are out there! Same thing happens when a friend or neighbor gets a new car, then you notice that type of car is everywhere.

Michael Dye
09-02-2016, 7:57 AM
Yep, cars and motorcycles are the same. A few years back, I got a killer deal (there's one of those catch phrases) on a limited edition CVO Harley. I bought it, thinking that I might have something special that not many would have. Last get together I went to I had to find my bike with the arm switch on the key fob. They were everywhere. Oh, well.

Rich Riddle
09-02-2016, 8:47 AM
The older I get, the more often I learn unwelcome lessons and knowledge; ignorance was bliss.

Stephen Tashiro
09-02-2016, 11:13 AM
I'm talking about the phenomenon of when you hear, or notice, or are exposed to something-anything- for the first time...
And then you seem to be bombarded with it afterwards? Is there a name for it?

Do you remember the first time you carefully followed the instructions for doing something on a computer and they didn't work ?