PDA

View Full Version : LED Recessed Lights

Peter Stahl
08-31-2016, 10:38 AM
Anyone replace their recessed lights with LED's? If so do you like them? What wattage & color temperature (Soft White (2700K – 3000K), Bright White/Cool White (3500K – 4100K), and Daylight (5000K – 6500K) did you choose? Did you do just the bulbs or the retrofit housing? I have lights in the bedroom and kitchen I'd like to replace.

thanks!

Steve Peterson
08-31-2016, 10:56 AM
If they are can lights, I just replace the bulbs. One of the big box stores has 10 packs of non-dimmable 60W equiv bulbs for $20. The 100W equiv are $50 for a 10 pack. I have a few of these where I need a lot of brightness. They put out 1550 lumens for 14W. Dimmable bulbs are a bit more expensive.

The retrofit bulbs with a cover around them seem to run about $10 each or more.

Steve

Erik Loza
08-31-2016, 11:02 AM
We have a number of the Sylvania LED can lights in the house. Warm white, I believe. Going on four years, no complaints so far. I have also replaced most of the recessed lights (that were of the PAR type) with LED's from Costco. FEIT brand, I think. Same experience as the Sylvanias.

Erik

Pat Barry
08-31-2016, 11:14 AM
I replaced 6 can lamps in our kitchen. My wife talked me into the daylight version. The light they give off is impressive but too white for me. She says she likes it though in the kitchen. I had to replace the dimmer at the same time since it wasn't rated for LED bulbs. The new dimmer has a separate slider to control the dim - I notice that I turn it down so not so bright and she always slides it full on. I guess she likes the brightness :)

On a related note, they just renovated the offices here where I work and I noticed that some people had umbrella's over their cubes. I asked why and they said it was because the new LED lights were too bright for them and they had a lot of glare from the lights on their computer screens.

Gerry Grzadzinski
08-31-2016, 11:37 AM
I recently replaced the bulbs in my can lights with LED bulbs from Costco. They had a rebate and were less than $15 for 4 I think, and are dimmable.
I'll have to get the specs on them later, but they look exactly like the standard bulbs they replaced, but are maybe slightly brighter when not dimmed.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-31-2016, 11:46 AM
When we remodeled our kitchen last year, we put in 4 recessed LED cans. There is a fixture over the sink with LEDs in it and a chandelier over the dining room table. As the incandescent lamps burn out in the chandelier, I am replacing them with Feit LEDs from Costco.

No problems with the LED recessed cans. Ours are on dimmers.

Peter Stahl
08-31-2016, 11:52 AM
Jerry & Ken,

Did you use LED dimmers? Thanks everyone for your replies so far.

Doug W Swanson
08-31-2016, 12:44 PM
I put in the 65W led equivalents in our kitchen a few years ago. I think they were a 4 pack from Costco and are 2700K. The package said they are dimmable but I tried 3 different dimmers and none of them worked very well (either the bulbs buzzed or flickered). I gave up with the dimmer and just put in a regular switch.

Fast forward to last week: I just finished our basement and we have 13 recessed cans so I wanted to use dimmers and LED bulbs. Since it seemed to be a wash between buying the LED bulb and separate trim vs an LED retrofit kit, I decided to try the retrofit route. I bought the CL Lutron dimmers from Menards (~$15) and tried 4 different LED bulbs (some were just the bulb and others were the retrofit kit). All of them seemed to have a buzz when turned on.

I finally tried one more option: the Patriot Lighting LED retrofit kit from Menards. I got them on sale at $14 each and they work awesome! No buzzing or flickering at all. They are 3,000K LED with a 1,000 lumens.

http://www.menards.com/main/maintenance-repair-operations/lighting-electrical/lighting/recessed-lights/5-to-6-led-retrofit-light/p-1444424034645-c-7499.htm?tid=7222873398374243088

Hope this helps!

Robert LaPlaca
08-31-2016, 1:02 PM
Peter 3000k is ideal replacement color temperature for halogen replacements. Color Rendering Index (CRI) is also important, most LED bulbs are in the mid 80's, halogen bulbs are in the mid to high 90's, a bulb with a low CRI can make your Cherry cabinets look very off color (grey for example). I bought seven Soraa Vivid short neck PAR 30 to replace the halogen bulbs, couldn't be happier with the bulbs, the bulbs are 75w equivalent that use 12.5w with a CRI of 95.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-31-2016, 1:52 PM
Peter, the electrical subcontractor supplied the cans and the switch. It is a LED dimmer switch as described by Pat Barry with the switch and slider beside the switch.

Mike Berrevoets
08-31-2016, 2:02 PM
We have 8 of the 6" led can light retrofits and 20+ 4" led can light retrofits from Costco installed. They are dimmable but the problem I think is with the dimmer switches. I put in led ready dimmer switches but I was right at the limit on wattage for led for the switch. I had some flickering so I swapped out for regular switches and they work fine. Eventually I'll find a higher rated dimmer switch but for now we are using them with no dimmer.

these retrofit lights are all one sealed unit with the trim and bulb. Easy install and they look good. By the time you buy the par bulb and trim piece I think the led all in one is probably around the same price.

just watch the dimmer switches and make sure they are LED compatable. All the switches I found at the big box store were only rated for 150 watts for LED use.

Gerry Grzadzinski
08-31-2016, 2:27 PM
I just changed the bulbs. The existing dimmer switches are about 15 years old, and work fine with the LED bulbs I bought.

Erik Loza
08-31-2016, 5:12 PM
...Did you use LED dimmers? Thanks everyone for your replies so far.

There are three of the Sylvania cans on the front porch and I have an LED-specific dimmer on that switch. Maybe Lutron brand? Anyhow, it works fine but does have a very sublte buzz at the most resistance (dimmest). You have to put your ear near it.

On the other hand, I bought an extension cord from Ikea that is specifically marketed for LED's and that thing hums so loud you can hear it across the room. Basically, useless.

Erik

Gerry Grzadzinski
08-31-2016, 5:18 PM
The Costco bulbs I bought are 2700K, 11.5 watt, and 750 lumens.

stevo wis
08-31-2016, 6:08 PM
I used retrofits for the recessed cans in my kitchen. Got them at Home Depot. Easy to install, just unscrew the bulb, screw in fitting to bulb socket, and shove in place. Very reasonable, easy to install, and they have a magnetic seal to make it airtight. I stayed with a warm light and they work well.
stevo

Robert Payne
08-31-2016, 8:06 PM
Nearly 2 years ago, Duke Energy had reduced priced LED bulbs of several varieties -- I purchased 7 Philips 10.5 watt BR30 dimmable LED flood lamps (2700 K, 720 lumens) that I used to replace 7 Sylvania 65 watt BR30 Floods in cans in my kitchen. They cost less than $6.00 each. I did not need to change the dimmer on the circuit and now enjoy more light that can be dimmed to near zero without going orange -- plus using 1/7 the wattage. I also bought a number of 10 watt LED bulbs and some 5 watt ones ($3 each) for use out doors for walkway lights.

Jim Becker
08-31-2016, 8:10 PM
I've done that in my office successfully...they are newer fixtures and were compatible with LED as a replacement for the Halogen lamps that originally inhabited them. (MR16) I was unable to do this in our kitchen and eating area...the fixtures are too old and the LEDs constantly flickered. I have to stick with the MR16 in the units that are in the eating area. Those in the kitchen, I replaced the whole fixtures earlier this year with standard 4" cans and screw in LED lamps. The light is nice, but the downside is they interfere with the radio. I don't normally listen while cooking, however.

Matt Marsh
09-01-2016, 9:59 AM
https://www.amazon.com/WAC-Lighting-FM-306-930-Compliant-Ceiling/dp/B01GHFCRMU/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1472737959&sr=8-17&keywords=wac+lighting+ledPeter,

I'm the lead (master) electrician at a university in Northern Minnesota. Over the past several years we have done extensive lighting retro projects. For recessed retros, we've had the best success with these retro kits in the 3000k range. These things are awesome for the price.

Bob Grier
09-01-2016, 10:48 AM
In my kitchen I replaced 9 BR30 incandescent lamps in existing ceiling cans with BR30 LED lamps of about 8 watts each (650 Lumens, 3000K) from Costco. Also installed Lutron 3 way switches with one having the slide dimmer that is also range adjustable under the cover.

Even though checking the dimmer and light bulb manufacturer's web sites for compatibility, the LED lights often strobed when turned on. I tried changing the dimmer switch to no avail. Then I removed one of the LED lights and installed a different brand LED 30BR lamp (GE with 700 Lumens) in the circuit. No more strobing and I am happy.

Charles McKinley
09-01-2016, 7:28 PM
Sam's Club dimming LED bulb from GE 10watt 700 lumens. LED10DR303/827W

Guessing the temp is 2700K.

Running on the dimmer switch that was already there. Installed 12/2/15.