PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic safety cage

Tim Passmore
08-30-2016, 4:53 PM
I'm about ready to make the leap from my Nova to a Powermatic. Just curious about how many Powermatic owners actually use the safety cage.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-30-2016, 5:05 PM
Just curious on why you're asking this question..... Safety is a personal choice. I don't own a PM but I do have a Jet 1642 and yes I use my cage, a friend of mine does own a PM and he uses his. We are the only 2 people I know, that use or admit to using the cage. Most if not all the other people I know have theirs hanging on a wall.

I think it's a good thing to use the cage. Just my $0.02. I know it's saved me from a few minor injuries. Maybe 1 major injury when a medium sized blank broke apart and flew off while roughing.

Tim Passmore
08-30-2016, 5:23 PM
Kyle, thanks for your input. I was just wondering how "user friendly" it was. I too want to be as safe as possible, but I wanted to know if turners that use a Powermatic find the cage to be "intrusive".

Robert Edington
08-30-2016, 6:42 PM
I use mine on my PM3520. There are those proponents of "staying out of the line of fire". I don't think you always can. You never know when a piece will fail and I concentrate on turning when I'm turning. Not where is this thing gonna go when it comes apart. Some folks try to make you feel inadequate because you use it. Just my $.02.

Tim Passmore
08-30-2016, 6:57 PM
Thanks Robert. I too certainly appreciate the concept of being out of "the line of fire", but I always want to be as safe as possible and practical.

Shawn Pachlhofer
08-30-2016, 7:04 PM
when I bought my used 3520A, the previous owner "forced" me to take the cage.

it sits forgotten (and buried) somewhere in my garage, same as it was in his garage.

Tim Passmore
08-30-2016, 7:23 PM
Thanks for your response, Shawn.

Bob Bouis
08-30-2016, 9:37 PM
I don't usually use it, but it's nice to have around for the occasional piece that's dangerous -- one you want/need to spin fast that's also structurally questionable. The cage goes on and off pretty fast.

Bob Bergstrom
08-30-2016, 10:50 PM
I'm trying to think of lathes other than Jet and Powermatic and the old school lathes of Delta and Powermatic that come with safety cages. Robust, Vicmark, VB 36 don't. Do the Grizzles?

Leo Van Der Loo
08-30-2016, 11:50 PM
I don't usually use it, but it's nice to have around for the occasional piece that's dangerous -- one you want/need to spin fast that's also structurally questionable. The cage goes on and off pretty fast.

the occasional piece that’s dangerous -- one you want/need to spin fast that’s also structually questionable,

That’s the one you don’t turn !!!

Wood grows on trees, people don’t.

Tim Passmore
08-31-2016, 5:43 AM
Thanks Bob, Bob, and Leo for responding. My sense is that most tuners (who have safety cages on their lathes) don't use them.

John K Jordan
08-31-2016, 6:46 AM
One thing I read makes sense: paint the cage flat black to make it less visually distracting.

Mark Greenbaum
08-31-2016, 7:07 AM
No, the Grizzly Lathe I have (G0766) does not have a safety cage. It may have come in handy a couple of weeks ago when I parted off the rim of a cherry bowl, and like a Frisbee it came sailing right at my face. My faceshield saved my nose, because the cherry disk would have hit me right between the eyes. I was trying to stay out of the line of fire, but for a quick moment I wanted to see my progress viewing straight on.

William Bachtel
08-31-2016, 7:44 AM
Thats right Leo "Thats the one you don't turn!!!"

Michael Dye
08-31-2016, 8:08 AM
I have owned a PM90 for 30 years. Still one of the finest lathes ever made. The only time that I can ever recall not using it is when I have the duplicator attached to the bed. Both pieces, at the same time, won't work. Not that it matters, but I spent my entire career in a pilot's seat. An eye injury would result in a visit to the unemployment line. Unacceptable for me. Anyway, I have taught both my sons to turn and am immensely pleased to see that they both refuse to turn the lathe on without dropping the cage first. Maybe they know I'm watching. Good luck

David C. Roseman
08-31-2016, 9:04 AM
I'm trying to think of lathes other than Jet and Powermatic and the old school lathes of Delta and Powermatic that come with safety cages. Robust, Vicmark, VB 36 don't. Do the Grizzles?

As Mark says, the Grizzly G0766 does not. Nor the G0733. But the new G0800 and G0799 do. :confused:

Mike Nathal
08-31-2016, 9:08 AM
Read the June 2014 issue of American Woodturner before you throw away that cage.

Tim Passmore
08-31-2016, 9:28 AM
Thanks Mark. I had a similar experience-----I needed to cross the line of fire to turn off my lathe when a large piece flew past my head.

Tim Passmore
08-31-2016, 9:30 AM
Thanks Michael. I intend to use mine.