PDA

View Full Version : 1st Segmented Turning attempts

Mark Greenbaum
08-30-2016, 2:31 PM
I receive a couple of Beta-test kits from a fellow in Upstate NY, to try my hand at doing segmented turnings. He's gotten into very precise angle cutting and assured me the kit would practically put itself together. The first small bowl I assembled using masking tape to clamp the ring segments together (not too bad actually). That bowl turned out OK, and was pretty small. It will get shipped back to the donor this weekend. Pretty plain, but not bad for a 1st attempt.

The second kit (for me to keep) I added some scraps of mahogany to create a better brick and mortar effect, which made a slightly taller, and larger little bowl. Be easy on me as I am a novice to this media technique.

Paul Williams
08-30-2016, 3:12 PM
Segmented work is just not my thing, but I like the brick and mortar effect. Your joints look good, especially considering your tape clamping procedure. Very nice of your friend to make you a "kit" to get started. Sounds like a very good way to help someone discover segmented turnings. I'm visualizing a basket weave effect by using your contrasting wood pattern with smaller pieces. Might have to try that for our church's next "basket sale."

Mark Greenbaum
08-30-2016, 4:20 PM
Actually, the 2nd turning I purchased large strap clamps which made the joining easier. I was worried a bit that the various graing directions of the mahogany was going to be a problem. But I did not have any visible tear outs.

Glenn C Roberts
08-30-2016, 5:25 PM
Mark, Can you describe how he made the kits?

Bob Coates
08-30-2016, 6:46 PM
Mark,
Here is a youtube showing you how to cut your own perfect segments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yl-qDN1HtI
Use his comment for making a 12 segment ring by using a 30 60 triangle. Works.

Mark Greenbaum
08-30-2016, 8:44 PM
Mark, Can you describe how he made the kits?
The fellow stated he had a very accurate saw, and the pieces (maple) were identical in thickness, and were identical lengths per layer. The second bowl where I added the mahogany was more my errors in heights (vertical lines, so I disk sanded on my Shopsmith to level them out after gluing. I am going to construct a goo miter sled for the Shopsmith so I can continue to experiment with all of the scrap I have accumulated.

Bob Coates
08-30-2016, 9:10 PM
Mark,
Make a sled for your shopsmith based on the link in my previous post. You make make a very quick (probably less than an hour ) 12 segment sled that will cut perfect segments for your rings.

Don Jarvie
08-31-2016, 7:02 PM
I made a sled to cut the miters but each half will need some trimming to mate the rings. I glue them 3 at a time rubbing them together since you need 12 at 15 degrees. I made an additional sled to trim each of the 2 sides so they meet to make the circle. Enough pressure squeezing the together is all you need. I haven't used any band clamps and nothing has fallen apart while turning.

I will use clamps as I stack them together. I also used a bolt in the middle to form a press if it's a large piece. As long as each circle is flat on each side it will all come together.

Blair Swing
08-31-2016, 8:57 PM
Welcome to the segmented club! Nice form. Start to ask yourself now, could I go thinner on the piece? Also, look up Bowls from a Board, Malcolm Tibbets has some great books and ideas on this art form (and his other pieces will leave you in awe, and/or how the heck did he do that?)

Be careful though, while Woodturning itself is habitual, segmented work will tend to suck you deeper into the black hole, or at least has me for the last 40 years +\-

Good luck, and always remember this when dry fitting a ring, "if you can see light, it ain't right"!

Mark Greenbaum
09-01-2016, 9:44 AM
Thanks for all the links and inspiration. One of our club members, Bob Myers, is an expert "segmentalist". He usually comes to the meetings with huge bowls and vases with over 2000 pieces per item, inelaborate Greek key patterns, etc. I've printed the sled diagrams, and will start to make it this weekend. With the free exotic trimmings available to us from an historic millwork company, it should keep me busy.