PDA

View Full Version : Used Speedy 300

Ivan Shuliak
08-29-2016, 2:22 PM
Hi, would you buy a used Speedy 300 if it is 2006 model?

Are there any real differences comparing 2016 year model lets say? As far as I know you can put ceramic tubes in it, just the ones that was used initially? Metals ones I recon.
Also I would probably need a new Job Control as the one that comes with it is 7.x.x?

Any thoughts or advises?
Thank you!

Kev Williams
08-29-2016, 2:41 PM
Last year I bought a 2005 model Explorer from Gary, it's working fine (knock on my head)--

My LS900 is a 2004 model, which IMO is every bit the machine a Trotec is (if not better), it's been used daily for 12 years... a little belt wear in the first 2" of X travel notwithstanding, it engraves not one bit different today than it did the first day. (knock on my head)

My old ULS (New Hermes Optima) is a 1997 model, that I used daily for 12 years, and my BIL has been using daily since I got the Explorer, continues to work flawlessly at 19 years old (knock on my head) ;)

Myself, I consider used machines a bargain. The X-factor is not so much what it will cost to fix if something ever goes wrong, but whether parts TO fix it are available. And these days, it seems not a huge deal to make aftermarket parts work...

Mike Null
08-29-2016, 3:52 PM
Ivan

My machine is a 2006 model. I don't believe you can put a ceramic tube in it though a quick call to tech support will verify that. There is very little, if anything, that has changed besides the tube. They made an improvement in the homing device since my machine was built but I got the upgrade when I changed bearings.

The firmware and Job Control can be upgraded without issue.

It is my strong opinion that Trotec is the superior machine on the market today as it has been for years. I have had a total of one week of downtime in 10 years and that was while I had my tube remanufactured two years ago.

I should also add that Trotec tech support, which will be free for you, is also at the top of the pack.

Ivan Shuliak
08-29-2016, 3:55 PM
Glad to hear that and thanks for reassuring me.
Mike, did you change the tube at all since you've purchased it? I don't mind about metal tubes as longs as they work and don't die every 2-3 years :).

Mark Sipes
08-29-2016, 3:57 PM
Down loading a new JC software and Firmware version is available from Trotec.

End Bearings, Drive belt, Linear Bearing, mirrors, focus lense are all apart of maintenance and cost of doing business. Dependent on how much the machine has been used ... Hobby, Retail. Commercial or Industrial, will give you a clue as to the level of wear. A tube recharge may be inline with a 10 year machine.....not a new tube...unless it is gone.

Mike Null
08-29-2016, 5:15 PM
I had my tube re-manufactured as opposed to a re-charge. That was expensive, about $3000, but they put new optics inside the tube and verified that all electronics were up to spec as well. It came with a full one year warranty as well. If that tube hasn't been replaced or rebuilt it is likely to be needing it very soon.

You should find out who the tube manufacturer was for your machine. Not all Trotec tubes came from the same manufacturer.

Ivan Shuliak
08-30-2016, 8:25 AM
The tube hasn't been changed since 2006. Also Trotec desn't have any records of spares ordered or replaced although the seller claims it had tube replaced 1 year ago (no proofs available).
I gave it a miss as the seller started to be very rude when I said that after the checks Trotec confirmed it is 30W machine and not 75W and no parts, tubes or regasses been done.

Mike Null
08-30-2016, 9:30 AM
Trotec would not necessarily have a record of work on the tube. I went to an independent supplier.

Trotec can verify, by use of the serial number found on the inside left of the machine, the wattage. In all honesty, if it is a 30 watt machine, the extraordinary speed of the machine will not be available to you. Mine is a 45 watt unit and on many jobs I cannot run at full speed. If I had 80 watts, for example, I could pretty much run at any speed I choose.

Gary Hair
08-30-2016, 10:50 AM
Trotec desn't have any records of spares ordered or replaced although the seller claims it had tube replaced 1 year ago (no proofs available).

That in itself wouldn't bother me, tubes can be sourced from many places other than the laser manufacturer. Trotec should have a record of the serial number on the tube and you could check it to see if it matches. However, the next sentence would stop any further discussion.

I gave it a miss as the seller started to be very rude when I said that after the checks Trotec confirmed it is 30W machine and not 75W

This would be a huge red flag - representing a 30 watt machine as 75? That alone would make me question everything else he said and I wouldn't consider this machine again.

Ivan Shuliak
08-30-2016, 11:57 AM
Yes, that was my first question, how many Watts it has and when the tube been replaced. I've been told it is 75W machine and the tube replaced 2 years ago.
I've been told it comes with Corel X3 and I've been invited to see and test it.
When I arrived (2 hours driving each way) with my samples it turned out that he doesn't have the Corel Draw and don't know how to test it. And then he said the tube was replaced 1 year and 4 months ago, not 2 years.
I managed to send a few shapes and words to engrave from MS Paint but couldn't check cutting.
He requested a deposit because he's getting loads of calls about it so I did and said I'll contact him on Tuesday when I check everything with Trotec. Once I got the news from Troted USA, Trotec UK and original Distributor of the machine I contacted him as agreed to share the information.
He refused to remove the cover to check the year or SN on the tube. Didn't want to give me the number of the previous owner nor any other details like the company name he got it from.
I didn't ask for any discounts or anything just wanted to check really if it could have the tube replaced by someone else, not the Trotec but recevied loads of messages like this:

"Why dint you set up your own laser company as you know soo much about them"

Who do you think you are. Yo come in my home and STINK OF BO"
After a few minutes "Up to you. You pick it up at 6:30 tmrw night. Otherwise it goes back on eBay"

So, if you see the Speedy 300 on ebay UK anytime soon, make sure you've got all the information about the machine, as the person is very polite on the phone and when you come but then, all of a sudden...

Keith Winter
08-30-2016, 1:45 PM
Very bizarre good call cutting ties with that guy

Mark Sipes
08-30-2016, 2:01 PM
I'm sure if you had left a deposit it would be denied when you asked for it back.

Kev Williams
08-30-2016, 4:40 PM
Anyone selling a laser engraver that gets THAT defensive towards someone who seems to know about them is hiding and/or lying about something.

The dead giveaway is he doesn't remember the lies he's telling. The truth is hard to forget...

Jarami Reid
02-21-2019, 9:49 PM
Hi Mike,

Where did you have your laser tube re manufactured? any help would be much appreciated. Trotec Canada is giving me a hard time as my machine is ancient and they want me to buy another one as opposed to fixing this one...

Mike Thornbury
02-25-2019, 11:33 AM
Hi Mike,

Where did you have your laser tube re manufactured? any help would be much appreciated. Trotec Canada is giving me a hard time as my machine is ancient and they want me to buy another one as opposed to fixing this one...

These guys are in Seattle: https://www.2laser.com/

Bell Laser, a long history of maintaining upper-end lasers and refurbishing tubes.