PDA

View Full Version : Those proud of their workshops, please post pics!

Matt Lau
08-29-2016, 2:05 PM
I'll finally be non-nomadic, and I'd like to finally build up a workshop.
Before I get started, I'd love to get ideas.

I'd love to see how you do things, and how you do things differently with all the disciplines here: tuners, neanders, power tool users, festoolies, etc.

For those of you who are proud of your workshops, can you share pictures of your workshop?
Also, can you write up a little blurb behind why you decided what you did, and what(if any) you'd change.

-Matt

Larry Browning
08-29-2016, 2:59 PM
Here is a link to a tour of my shop I did in 2010. It was all cleaned up then and I have only made a few additions since then.
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/116538662290459313764/album/AF1QipPVaROvGQJChFqmWBnnvjyiJDocd6Nb0kZHUiIY

I hope the link still works.

Hoang N Nguyen
08-29-2016, 3:56 PM

Here's my shop. I wouldn't say I'm "proud" of it but it serves me well with the space I have to work with. My shop is a 2.5 car garage, things are laid out in a way that I can still fit 1 car in it when I'm not working on a project. TS, jointer and planer are all on one side. All machines facing the same direction to allow cutting and milling 8' long material. Miter saw station on the other side against the wall and everything else is pushed back towards the front wall. I'm sure others can do much more with the space that I have but I like to have open space when working so I tend to spread my tools apart.

I'm currently building a new house with a 1600 sq. ft. basement and the wife has agreed to not touch that space and let me have it as my dedicated work shop. I'm still planning out the space with many design changes in the works.

Bruce Page
08-29-2016, 4:50 PM
Here's a YouTube video tour of my 2 car garage shop. I have downsized a couple of machines and added a CNC router. Not much else has changed.

Bruce's Woodshop Tour (or how to put 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound bag) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l9WxC-kJUs)

John K Jordan
08-29-2016, 7:22 PM
Not as much "proud" of my shop as extremely grateful for it. My shop is mostly too messy to photograph at the moment but I have a few photos, posted here in the past.

I made areas for office, turning, flat wood, wood storage, electronics, microscopes, welding and metal working, machining, and farm and vehicle maintenance. Big doors. Big air compressor with plumbed air lines. Big cyclone for dust collection. Big copper underground for power.

Turning.
I use the shop a lot for woodturning. Lathe lighting is extremely important to me. I turn more small things than large so I like the lathes up against the walls for instant access to things. I often have people come to learn.

343186 343187 343188 343189

Little machine shop.
Hate to be without it.

I recommend building your shop next to your llamas. What, you don't have llamas? You can fix that.

343190 343191

My shop is multi-purpose, designed and built myself from the dirt up. I tell people I built it with my bare hands but I lie, I used tools.

My advice: plan, plan, plan, plan. I planned for over a year and drew dozens of drawings, revised and revised. Before I dug the footers I had the spaces planned and the tentative wiring, air lines, lighting, dust collector ducts, and HVAC layouts. I revised the electrical diagrams at least 6 times. I made models to fit the major tools, walking space, windows, doorways. Make it bigger than you think you will need. Run more power to it than you think you will need. Don't forget a sink and an ethernet line.

JKJ

Matt Lau
09-07-2016, 6:48 PM
Thanks guys!

I have to work on some kids now. I'll be back after taking care of them.

Bob Michaels
09-07-2016, 10:21 PM

I'd love to see how you do things, and how you do things differently with all the disciplines here: tuners, neanders, power tool users, festoolies, etc.

For those of you who are proud of your workshops, can you share pictures of your workshop?
Also, can you write up a little blurb behind why you decided what you did, and what(if any) you'd change.

-Matt
It's always interesting to see other peoples shops. It would be most helpful if we had a separate area where shop tours could be kept. Any chance of that happening, moderators?

mark mcfarlane
09-08-2016, 6:46 AM
My virtual shop. We were supposed to break ground last month. I have a few more permitting problems to resolve. Hopefully we will be breaking ground around Oct 1st,... The steel and plastic for the slab are already onsite.

Matt Lau
09-11-2016, 12:37 AM
A sticky would be great!

I'm still putting together mine.
I'll have two parts-- one is my bedroom, an incognito shop (yes, I'm single. :()
The other is the power tool shop--a garage on a rental with some power tools.

The incognito shop will be pretty interesting, as it's designed to be inobtrusive but capable.
I just bought some door racks from the container store to hold my titebond, hide glue, japanese saws, screwdriver, etc.

Since I build guitars mainly, I don't need a roubo or a super huge table saw.
However, a fully equipped shop would be awesome.

Mark Paavola
09-14-2016, 12:39 AM
Good evening everyone. Here are some recent pictures of my shop. I built it in 2006. If I was to do anything different it would be larger. It is currently 840 sq. ft.

Albert Lee
10-02-2016, 10:59 PM
Dated photos but my workshop has not changed a lot...

Whats in my workshop:
Robland NX410 combination machine: Wasnt going to spend mega $$$ on a Felder or SCM, but needed a full size combi that has 16inch planer. The Robland offers Tersa cutter block. I will never go back to traditional knives.

SCM S400P (MM16): Got this as part of a deal with the Masterwood mortiser, I have not used the ripping on my combi ever since I got my band saw.

Masterwood OMB1V: The OMB1V is capable to chisel out a large chunk of mortise in 10 seconds.

Omga AL129: double mitre saw, controlled pneumatically, because of this saw I have sold my mitre saw. very very efficient if you have lots of same size to cut.

SCM 5RCS1100: Wide belt sander is so versatile, all shop should have one, bigger the better. my sander is hooked up to the Danfoss VTL2800 Variable Speed Drive. the reason for this is to limit the inrush current as I only have 63amp supply.

Chicago Pneumatics CPRS10500 + Ceccato drier and pre/post filter: the compressor is 10hp with 500 litre tank. Its absolutely vital to have your compressed air clean and dry.

Festool Domino 700 and Pneumatic sander: got several Festool toys. these two are the one that I use most often.

Extractor: Holytek DC006 Baghouse on 300mm opening

Ducting: Danish JKF lip lock ducting.

Storage for timber: I have a separate shipping container for the timber.

What I dont have in my workshop:
A work bench
A lathe
A spray booth
A dremel
A Tormek grinder

Arriving soon (in November):
Felder F700Z: Although its sounds good to have a spindle moulder as part of the combination machine, in reality its not that effective/efficient if you are in the production. setting up on the spindle moulder takes 90% of the time. you really need a stand alone spindle moulder if you are in a semi production shop or if you make a lot of same things over and over.

Trevor OBrion
12-23-2016, 2:22 PM

I'm prowd of my workshop. Only thing missing in the pic is my 12" Hitachi Sliding Miter Saw. Which goes in miter saw station.

I'm trying to find a good program to layout my shop with all my tools on the computer. I've been using the one on grizzly's website, but its too limited and Sketchup is to complicated lol. Anyone no of a good program?

John K Jordan
12-23-2016, 5:05 PM
I'm trying to find a good program to layout my shop with all my tools on the computer. I've been using the one on grizzly's website, but its too limited and Sketchup is to complicated lol. Anyone no of a good program?

Trevor,

When I designed my shop and before I built it I did numerous shop floorplan layouts both to fit things and to plan the lighting and wiring. Although I retired from a career with expertise in technical 3D modeling I used a more efficient media - paper and pencil and scissors and tape! Once I decided on the building dimensions and room divisions I took a large sheet of paper and made scale cutouts for each tool, workbench, etc. My piece of paper was over 24" wide for the 24"x62" building so the scale was easy, 1"=1'.

I moved the cutouts around until I was happy with the layout (including cutouts for infeed and outfeed spaces and spacing for walking and moving things) then taped them down. For walking space between tools I did an actual size mockup with a couple of large cardboard boxes to get a feel for the minimum walking space, then make a circle cutout of that distance and "walked" it through my paper layout.

After I finalized the layout I measured for receptacle and light fixture placement. No surprises.

All this was very quick and far simpler than using the computer.

JKJ

Jim Becker
12-24-2016, 11:52 AM
Like John, I've played with software in the past for "shop layout", but found "playing with cutout dolls of tools" to be much more effective in figuring things out. There's something pleasing with the tactile feel of moving playing pieces around the board, if you will, and then once it appears to be workable, commit to software for a "plan".

Sam Rametta
12-31-2016, 9:30 AM
Hi- I'm new here, but like you, I like to see what other guys do with the shop.

I keep a blog for shop time, and it's easier to send you a link than to post all the pics.

If you check it out, you'll see that shop set-up is always evolving. If you're not always running a background program in your mind, searching for how to improve your setup, you're not paying attention. Just my two-cents.

I have a 24'X24' shop with a 12' wide, 8' high garage door and a man-door. Most of my stuff is on wheels because my shop is always shifting from sawdust to grease monkey, and I'm fairly tooled-up for both metal and wood. I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm always looking for ways to improve.

Good luck in yours!

Jim Becker
12-31-2016, 9:48 AM
Hi- I'm new here, but like you, I like to see what other guys do with the shop.

I keep a blog for shop time, and it's easier to send you a link than to post all the pics.

Sam, welcome to SMC! There's a wealth of knowledge here that's accumulated since 2003 and we're sure you'll find that useful. We also help you'll contribute to that by posting photos here where they will be available as part of that knowledge base. We really don't encourage linking to off-forum resources for that reason.

'Looking forward to seeing your shop and projects!

Jim
Forum Moderator

Matt Lau
01-12-2017, 8:55 PM
There's some great stuff on here!

I'll have to find some time to work on mine.
Thing with a small business though, is that there's never time.

joseph moses
02-20-2017, 11:44 AM
Here's my shop354420

Julie Moriarty
05-01-2017, 10:34 AM
Oh how I long for a functional workshop again. Here's what I used to have.
http://julimorcreations.com/Images/Workshop/workshop_13.jpg

http://julimorcreations.com/Images/Workshop/workshop_01.jpg

http://julimorcreations.com/Images/Workshop/workshop_06.jpg

http://julimorcreations.com/Images/Workshop/workshop_05.jpg

http://julimorcreations.com/Images/Workshop/workbench.jpg

Matt Lau
05-02-2017, 5:48 PM
Hey Julie,

Thanks for posting. Beautiful setup!
I hope to finally get back to building guitars this year--and I'm slowly chipping away at making my "workshop" useable.
Currently, it's full of a jumbled mess.

btw, how do you like the festool vac vs the basic shopvac?

Rick Fisher
05-09-2017, 9:51 PM
Great looking shops .. nice drawers Julie. super organized .

Julie Moriarty
05-10-2017, 7:23 AM
Hey Julie,

Thanks for posting. Beautiful setup!
I hope to finally get back to building guitars this year--and I'm slowly chipping away at making my "workshop" useable.
Currently, it's full of a jumbled mess.

btw, how do you like the festool vac vs the basic shopvac?
I don't see any more guitars in the future, Matt. Too expensive of a hobby!

Like you, I am slowly chipping away at the list of things needed to be done to once again have a functional workshop. I've got a kitchen remodel on my hands now and the next phase will include a lot of dust creation. So I've been working on getting the dust collection system easier to use and more efficient.

I love the Festool vac, partly because it's so quiet but also because it has an auto function - plug in the tool and as soon as the tool is running, the vac is too. I have the Dust Deputy connected to the shop vac and it works very well but it is bulky and loud. The shop vac is 16 gallon but that part of the vacuum never does any collecting. It all ends up in the Dust Deputy 5 gallon bucket. If I could figure a way to reduce the shop vac container, I could get rid of some of the bulk and make the DD/shop vac more compact.

I was working on changing out the PVC duct to metal yesterday:

The movers did a tune on the cyclone. It seemed to be working okay when I had the PVC duct in place, but there appears to be more waste that makes it through to the outside vent. I think all the damage is pushing debris away from the outside of the cyclone and more of it is getting sucked into the vent. I may have to rebuild the whole thing, something I do not look forward to doing.

The split shop (inside shop and garage shop) does not make for efficient work flow but I'll have to figure out a way to make it work. Once the cabinet door project begins, I'm sure I'll find a lot of things that will need improvement.

Peter Bliss
06-06-2017, 4:32 PM
Here are pictures of my current shop. The one time during last year is was cleaned up. Moving to a new basement space at the end of the month.

Frederick Skelly
06-06-2017, 6:18 PM
Welcome to the Creek Peter!
Nice shop!
Fred

Lornie McCullough
06-09-2017, 5:00 PM
Peter....... KlipschHorn speakers? I am sooooo jealous.

Lornie

Matt Lau
09-06-2017, 6:52 PM
Wooooooow!

That's a beautiful setup.

Brandon Conover
09-23-2017, 6:55 PM
Some nice looking shops here, glad I'm not the only one that keeps their shop overly tidy. I'll put some pics up of mine soon too.

Matt Lau
11-13-2017, 7:38 PM
I sorta know the feeling, even though I can get my wood fairly inexpensively.
The labor and dedication is way too expensive compared to buying a decent Chinese made instrument
However when my first guitar is a 1935 Martin OOO clone, I'm sorta beyond redemption...:P

I feel sorta like an addict--I'd like to kick the habit, settle down and start a family, but the wood keeps calling....

Lol. Nice setup.
If you do need a good cheap supplier of wood, PM me. I'll show you mine.

I don't see any more guitars in the future, Matt. Too expensive of a hobby!

Like you, I am slowly chipping away at the list of things needed to be done to once again have a functional workshop. I've got a kitchen remodel on my hands now and the next phase will include a lot of dust creation. So I've been working on getting the dust collection system easier to use and more efficient.

I love the Festool vac, partly because it's so quiet but also because it has an auto function - plug in the tool and as soon as the tool is running, the vac is too. I have the Dust Deputy connected to the shop vac and it works very well but it is bulky and loud. The shop vac is 16 gallon but that part of the vacuum never does any collecting. It all ends up in the Dust Deputy 5 gallon bucket. If I could figure a way to reduce the shop vac container, I could get rid of some of the bulk and make the DD/shop vac more compact.

I was working on changing out the PVC duct to metal yesterday:

The movers did a tune on the cyclone. It seemed to be working okay when I had the PVC duct in place, but there appears to be more waste that makes it through to the outside vent. I think all the damage is pushing debris away from the outside of the cyclone and more of it is getting sucked into the vent. I may have to rebuild the whole thing, something I do not look forward to doing.

The split shop (inside shop and garage shop) does not make for efficient work flow but I'll have to figure out a way to make it work. Once the cabinet door project begins, I'm sure I'll find a lot of things that will need improvement.

Pat Rice
12-15-2017, 8:17 PM
For many years I worked out of a one car garage until realizing my dream of building a free standing workshop in my back yard in 1999. It is 24' x 24' with 10' ceilings and I spent many hours trying to figure out how to best use the space. Knowing that I would eventually have a cabinet table saw I planned ahead and buried pvc for dust collection and ran pvc conduit for supplying electric to the table saw and a outlet, that has turned out to be a great decision. Here is a link to my shop tour back then: http://www.shoptours.org/shop_tours/files/pat-rice.html Several years ago I got heavily involved in photography and my shop sat idle and accumulated a lot of "stuff" from the house and kids who had moved away. This year I had my passion for woodworking rekindled and have since April been working hard to clean out my shop and upgrade a lot of my equipment (some was over 30yrs old). I drank a little of the green Festool koolaid which led to more Festool items. My wife has been extremely helpful in challenging me to rethink my tool layout and to not just do what I always have done. Ended up replacing my cabinet saw with a SawStop ICS, new Incra table saw fence, replaced an old Dewalt radial arm saw with Festool Kapex, replaced my 18 yr. old Oneida 1.5 hp cyclone dust collector with new Oneida 5hp Dust Gorilla Pro with Smart Boost. In the past I built a lot of rough functional cabinets in the shop but now I have replaced most of the old cabinets with new. Here are some photos 373923373924373925373926

Jim Becker
12-15-2017, 8:19 PM
That's a really nice looking setup, Pat!

Tom Bain
12-17-2017, 12:05 AM
Ditto to what Jim said ... very nice shop. Did you paint the metal ductwork white at some point?

Pat Rice
12-17-2017, 8:40 PM
Yes I did paint the one run of ductwork in the photo. I had purchased a gallon of “Festool” white when I started building several cabinets for my shop and have plenty leftover. A friend joked with me that I need Festool green pinstripes on the ducts ��

Scott Buehler
12-19-2017, 11:40 PM
Mark, can you tell a little more about your spray system? What type of fan, how well does it work and exhaust the fumes? In trying to plan a spray section for my shop, thanks

Osvaldo Cristo
12-22-2017, 4:17 PM
[...]

-Matt

I live in Brazil... almost a different planet from the POV from most people from the US although closer to Europe... Our prices for tools here always include a burden of taxes, so they are around 30% to 100% higher than the "mail price" you can order in the US and the offers are much more limited by quantity and variety both for manufacturers as well different models from them. I have purchased a significant part of my tools in Germany or the US, some of them in Denmark or other country.

At our basement we have our garages and my small workshop. I mounted it 25 years ago bringing the stuff I had from my parent's home. This year (2017) I made some important update to several of my electrical tools - most of them were unreliable or missing important features as variable speed and better operational security. From that small shop came all the cabinets we have in our kitchen, bedrooms, bathrooms, laundry as well tables, bookshelves and some additional furniture.

All the best!

Mark Paavola
12-23-2017, 12:39 AM
Scott, If you were asking about my spray room here is the info. The room is 10' x 10'. The exhaust hood was built in the shop I used to work for. I was in the HVAC business. The filter rack holds 2 - 20x25 filters. They do a good job of catching the overspray. The fan is an inline axial fan from fantech. It is not an explosion proof fan but I am not concerned about that. The duct work is 8" and goes through the roof out a custom roof jack. It pulls 500 cfm through the fan. I tested the flow to verify. It does a pretty good job clearing out the overspray but not like a commercial booth. I could pull out more but that would require more fresh air into the shop. I heat and cool my shop so this works for me.

Nick Mazzino
01-10-2018, 9:10 AM
Hello Larry,
I am new to woodworking and just in the begning phases of trying to set my shop up. I am looking to buy a table saw and planer soon. I have been looking at several different saws and having trouble making decisions. I see you have the Grizzly 1023SL. I was considering getting that saw to get into a cabinet saw at a cheaper price point. However, I have heard mixed reviews good and bad on Grizzly table saws. I have been debating on the Grizzly, trying to find a used unisaw or powermatic, or was considering a new Ridgid contractor saw that is cast iron. I was leaning towards the Ridgid as an entry level saw and I only have about a 1.5 car garage for an entire shop.
Thanks for your input!

Nick Mazzino
01-10-2018, 9:11 AM
Amazing workshop by the way!

Matt Lau
02-11-2018, 6:03 PM
Glad this thread is still alive.

Mine is still in shambles, but I plan to fix it soon.
I'll probably post a thread for people to help advise me.

David Helm
02-15-2018, 4:34 PM
Hello Larry,
I am new to woodworking and just in the begning phases of trying to set my shop up. I am looking to buy a table saw and planer soon. I have been looking at several different saws and having trouble making decisions. I see you have the Grizzly 1023SL. I was considering getting that saw to get into a cabinet saw at a cheaper price point. However, I have heard mixed reviews good and bad on Grizzly table saws. I have been debating on the Grizzly, trying to find a used unisaw or powermatic, or was considering a new Ridgid contractor saw that is cast iron. I was leaning towards the Ridgid as an entry level saw and I only have about a 1.5 car garage for an entire shop.
Thanks for your input!

I have the G1023RLX. I've had it for a number of years. It compares favorably with the Unisaw. If I were to buy a new saw today I would not hesitate to buy the same one.

Bill Carey
02-18-2018, 4:43 PM
We moved about a year ago and I got the entire garage this time. It's heated, has running water, and a floor drain down the center just in case. It has a separate 100 amp panel with 220 available. So this is where it's at after the first year. The concrete gets pretty cold, so in the spring I'm going to empty the shop and glue and tapcon 3/4" plywood over the conc. It'll be easier on my old bones too. I think that whole corner of book cases is going to go and be replaced with base and wall cabinets. And a new miter box is in the works so that will have it's own station. My 30 year old Ryobi miter saw will be retired with honors. The dust collection and the air compressor are in a closet under the stairs, which lead up to my "office" with the 9' AMF pool table. (which is why there is a double 2x12 beam across the shop.) Once I finalize a setup I'll do a more permanent dust collection system. Suggestions welcome.

Ole Anderson
03-09-2018, 5:13 PM
My oddly shaped narrow basement shop has evolved over 43 years. For about 15 years I processed mostly aluminum while making about 2500 barefoot ski booms. Happiest day was when I sold the business. Got a G1023 shortly after, got rid of my old Monkey Wards RAS and slowly continued to build in the space available, under 400 sf. It all got tied together when I installed my dust collection system 7 years ago.

Dennis McCullen
03-11-2018, 10:04 AM

-Matt

More than just a woodshop, it's a part of our country life. I built this in 2014 after more than two years of planning and delay, shoulder surgery, and weather. In my case, woodworking is one of a few hobbies that I love and the shop helps support keeping the homestead up to speed as well as making nice things from wood. Lots of thought went into design, insulation, lighting, electrical and I'm gratified daily, still pinching myself when I walk in after over 3 years. P.S. Every inside pic is rotated and I cannot seem to compensate by rotating it in the opposite direction ahead of time. Basically, shop is two halves with a post in the very middle. Traditional bench table saw and outfeed/assembly table in the twisted pic.

Matt Lau
03-26-2018, 3:57 PM
Looks nice to me!

At first, I thought you were a fellow neanderthal and were gloating about your outstanding prowess outdoors.

marty fretheim
03-30-2018, 4:44 AM

Just some random pics I've taken over the years. The dust collector is in the next room that was built as a tornado shelter. 12" concrete walls. The shop is in a daylight basement so my projects can go through the sliding door and not up the stairs. I feel very blessed to have this shop. Hardly a day goes by that I don't spend some time in there. Ive built a whole house full of furniture.

Marty

Steven Wayne
04-08-2018, 2:12 PM
Quick cleanup in the shop this morning. Snapped a few photos.
Bay 1/2:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180324/8cb73dcd4cd800a5f3d78db2ac0418d6.jpg
Woodshop:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180324/732ea7586cb028629bad1524ecc9cae9.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180324/d9bfe1fd3b32698f695fd316be76c8aa.jpg
Bay 5/6 (Upholstery bay):
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180324/68a5879abfc8055d17ea487274000f6f.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180324/9c63f5a94f14e238f46c66e33fd35810.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180324/9d6e97bea03215af52b21b2456d54a5e.jpg
Metal fab room:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180324/e85ce741815b774feababca65b02d603.jpg

Jim Becker
04-08-2018, 5:14 PM
Man...I wish I had room for a couch in my shop. LOL Seriously, very nice space, Steve!

mark mcfarlane
04-08-2018, 6:23 PM
Very nice, huge shops, Steven and Marty.

Neal Pringle
04-23-2018, 1:21 PM
I'm new to SMC, but have been trolling it for years. I thought I would post a few images of my shop while somewhat clean as an introduction. While not pretty, it has character, the 1000 sq' shop was originally built in 1927 as a maintenance shop for tour buses going into a National Park. It still has two full service pits, but I haven’t figured out a way to incorporate those into my wood shop setup. It has lots of natural light which I like. The dust collector is being moved in the very near future into the storage room with the air compressor which will make room for the band saw and reduce the noise. Thank you to the community for all the helpful posts.

Peter Christensen
04-23-2018, 2:01 PM
Is that a Hitachi planer? If so I have it's planer/jointer cousin. :) A buddy has a pit in his 2 car size garage shop. He uses it for "deep storage".

Neal Pringle
04-23-2018, 3:40 PM
It is a Hitachi, P100F. Deep storage would good be a good option for the pit, will have to think up plans for my access.

Eric Commarato
05-21-2018, 1:25 PM
Really nice! Love Canadian made General equipment.

Matt Lau
05-23-2018, 3:49 PM
Been a while.

These are some beautiful workshops.

Marko Haarma
07-06-2018, 11:28 AM
Just about finished with my ultra-budget garage shop and am very happy with how it turned out. The only missing piece is creating a table router with an insert on the main workbench attached to the table saw and some minor trim work. I also need to fill out the shop with more hand tools but that will come with time. I was worried the dust collection system wouldn't be powerful enough to move material up the vertical sections but so far it's managed to pull everything just fine. Originally I had planned on building my own workbenches but the lumber alone using 2x4's and plywood would have cost me more than purchasing the Harbor Freight workbenches with come with a hardwood top, vice, and drawers. You can find them on sale for $100 and modify them to fit your needs..incredible value. Part of the compromise with the wife meant I had to leave enough room to still park one of my cars so technically this is a one car garage workshop. Living in Arizona meant I had to insulate the garage door panels and add a portable air conditioner. It's enough to keep the workshop at ~80 in the dead of summer.

Harbor Freight workbenches mounted together. I re-purposed the drawers from these two into my mitre station.

Mitre Station. The fence is a $20 piece of angle Iron from home depot. It's perfectly straight and durable as hell.

Need to build a cart with wheels for the planer.

In order to fit my car in the garage I had to mount the planer on a shelf which folds down. I wish I had a better permanent location for it but this is the only location which gave me the in-feed and out-feed distance I needed. I also left an additional 20 foot hose which I can use with electric hand tools or to vacuum the floor.

The flooring is one of the new polyurethane coatings which are "20 times harder than epoxy". It was expensive and horrible to apply but well worth the investment and seems to live up to the manufacturer's claims. It also makes it incredibly easy to clean (dust mop and leaf blower).

Scott Buehler
07-07-2018, 11:12 AM
Very clean and nice! Now get some saw dust on that floor! :)

Michael Costa
10-06-2018, 4:19 PM
I've spent the entire summer cleaning and overhauling my shop. Everything from dedicated 20 amp circuits, air filtration, lighting, and even air conditioning. When I can figure out how to post pics (I don't have options to do so) I will.

Jim Becker
10-06-2018, 7:07 PM
When I can figure out how to post pics (I don't have options to do so) I will.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?167711-posting-photos-as-of-June-2011

Eric Rinard
01-10-2019, 11:56 AM
Marko, could you post more pics of the dust collection piping and setup?

John Christian
02-12-2019, 12:00 PM
thanks Larry love the shop and to me it seems "spare' as in roomy less is more, it is inspiring me to be more ruthless in my " throwing out" as i trans form my barn. also love the tagline

Jeremy Gamache
02-12-2019, 12:52 PM
It all started with a wedding to plan and make stuff for and a coworker who wanted to clear out some unused wood tools. For $80 I got a Wen scroll saw (looked like it was used once), circular saw, belt/disk sander, orbital sander and a few assorted hand tools. Then I remembered my dad has a table saw and a router collecting dust somewhere in the garage. Here we are over a year later with a limited budget and limited space in the corner of the garage. It's not much compared to the workshop you folks have, but I'm proud of what I can do with so little space and tools.

Brad Friesen
03-07-2019, 9:22 AM
New to the sawmill creek community. Really appreciate all of the great threads and advice! Recently completed a reno of my basement shop - built walls in front of the 3in insulation that is adhered to the foundation. Really brightened things up and allows me to organize a lot of different items. Thanks again to everybody for making this such a great site for woodworkers!

Cheers
Brad

mark mcfarlane
03-07-2019, 9:42 AM
That looks like a great space Brad, I'm sure it will bring you years of enjoyment. I love the knotty pine walls.

Brad Friesen
03-07-2019, 11:13 AM
Mark
Thanks for your comment. I have really been enjoying my time down in the shop since I finished the shiplap walls. Have a great day!

Brad

Martin Wasner
03-09-2019, 10:22 AM
Shop Tour Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkSFNzf5-RQ)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkSFNzf5-RQ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkSFNzf5-RQ)

Frederick Skelly
03-09-2019, 10:51 AM
Ok. Martin wins!

bob cohen
09-19-2019, 9:36 PM
Here’s a video of mine on YouTube: https://youtu.be/oxYozuwJt14

Sal Cangialosi
09-22-2019, 8:57 AM
Well done. Thank you for sharing

Matt Lau
10-19-2019, 11:59 AM
I just wanted to thank everyone who posted on this thread.

I'm going to finally organize my workshop over fall/winter, and am trying to come up with ideas.

DannyC White
01-04-2020, 10:11 AM
Really enjoyed scrolling through this thread. I'm designing my next shop, will be a 20x20 addition to the back of a 2-car garage. My current shop is some warehouse space I've rented near downtown Houston, a big metal building that's a furnace in the summer and cold in the "winter" here. I have 1800 sq ft, which also doubles as storage.

My current ductwork for the dust collection is pitiful, I learned a lot, and will make big improvement for the next shop.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Jon Nuckles
01-13-2020, 12:52 PM
Hi Danny. Having lived in Houston for a couple of years a long time ago, I can imagine what a metal building might feel like in the summer. Your improvement in comfort will more than make up for the loss of square footage. I currently rent space (about 1000sf) near downtown Chicago, but am planning to do a garage remodel and move my shop there. My current space has heat, but no air conditioning. The garage space will be smaller, but I am looking forward to walking to my shop rather than driving for 30 minutes to over an hour, depending on traffic. I hope you post pictures of your new space when it is completed. -Jon

Ron Hampe
02-13-2020, 4:34 AM
Not quite done yet. Area totals app. 950 sq. ft. with the lumber rack that sits in the lower bay.

Jim Becker
02-13-2020, 8:46 AM
I little different view of my shop than previously posted...

https://ub2nha.sn.files.1drv.com/y4muQYmjmqb-K3eYwwnoZ9-rASoZ7J7LbdyMVTkw7NSlXwoMgyKxiDhq9RrH4F_G2aT9puSD5 NV-NLMsZebFeQ6pUsDStY9Q9lVH3-gnloWhvHhe6rSgg1R9SBTt51pTaQwMtBnCooOjoFEZLJYcYghg s3OwDMBsL8kY75yK8-cTXt1BgvMc9CxGCDMY0QpuJGPGad1PbLdZ9oI8wuX6qwFWA?wi dth=660&height=321&cropmode=none

mark mcfarlane
02-13-2020, 9:02 AM
I little different view of my shop than previously posted...

https://ub2nha.sn.files.1drv.com/y4muQYmjmqb-K3eYwwnoZ9-rASoZ7J7LbdyMVTkw7NSlXwoMgyKxiDhq9RrH4F_G2aT9puSD5 NV-NLMsZebFeQ6pUsDStY9Q9lVH3-gnloWhvHhe6rSgg1R9SBTt51pTaQwMtBnCooOjoFEZLJYcYghg s3OwDMBsL8kY75yK8-cTXt1BgvMc9CxGCDMY0QpuJGPGad1PbLdZ9oI8wuX6qwFWA?wi dth=660&height=321&cropmode=none

Jim, hopefully you researched the privacy issues with Ring's video cameras, particularly neighborhood sharing and law enforcement access. You might consider configuring this system to be secure. Ring systems are very nice from a feature/convenience/cost prospective, and a bit creepy from a privacy/surveillance state perspective.

Jim Becker
02-13-2020, 12:55 PM
Jim, hopefully you researched the privacy issues with Ring's video cameras, particularly neighborhood sharing and law enforcement access. You might consider configuring this system to be secure. Ring systems are very nice from a feature/convenience/cost prospective, and a bit creepy from a privacy/surveillance state perspective.
There's a lot of FUD out there on "privacy issues" with RING. Neighborhood sharing and sharing with law enforcement only happens if one releases an actual, specific video to them. Neither the "neighborhood" or LE can access the videos in any other way. Yes, there were a few internal employees at RING that apparently gained access to some videos, but it was not a public matter. Further, the so-called hacked cameras that were briefly in the news....weren't "hacked". Those incidents happened because the end consumer used the same email and passwords for their RING account that they used for other things and when their information was obtained from those other accounts, the "nice folks" started trying the email/PQ combinations across many different sites and a few folks with RING subscriptions experienced the reason why they shouldn't reuse passwords.

mark mcfarlane
02-13-2020, 6:51 PM
There's a lot of FUD out there on "privacy issues" with RING. Neighborhood sharing and sharing with law enforcement only happens if one releases an actual, specific video to them. Neither the "neighborhood" or LE can access the videos in any other way. Yes, there were a few internal employees at RING that apparently gained access to some videos, but it was not a public matter. Further, the so-called hacked cameras that were briefly in the news....weren't "hacked". Those incidents happened because the end consumer used the same email and passwords for their RING account that they used for other things and when their information was obtained from those other accounts, the "nice folks" started trying the email/PQ combinations across many different sites and a few folks with RING subscriptions experienced the reason why they shouldn't reuse passwords.

Yes, Law Enforcement (LE) may request video through Ring (that you may deny), or it may come through a subpoena in which case I'm not sure what the process is. After receiving the video LE can do whatever they want with it, including store it forever, transmit it,...

FYI, From Rings 'Terms of Service (https://shop.ring.com/pages/terms-1) "You hereby grant Ring and its licensees an unlimited, irrevocable, fee free and royalty-free, perpetual, worldwide right to use, distribute, store, delete, translate, copy, modify, display, and create derivative works from such Content that you share through our Services including, without limitation, the Ring Neighbors feature or application, the Ring Community, or via a share link, for any purpose and in any media format".

Ring just released a new Control Center app that gives users more explicit control over what is shared, but I suspect most users don't really understand that if they open up a single video through Neighbors, Community, or even emailing a link to someone then Amazon essentially owns that clip forever and can do whatever they want with it.

Jim Becker
02-14-2020, 10:05 AM
All true, Mark. But honestly...I'm not concerned with it. "They" already know more about me than I do...and I'm really happy with our system. It's also less than a third of the cost ongoing than our previous system which could not be upgraded to support Ethernet reporting which was required so we could drop our "land line".

We now return you to this great proud-of-workshops thread!

Sam Shankar
03-24-2020, 3:52 PM
Hi folks,

I got the woodworking bug around 10 years ago. I snuck in a lot of time at my local woodcraft store (which has a 'membership' shop) but always wanted a place of my own. Over the last couple of years I've been making that dream come true. The exterior of my new shop is done, and the bones and major tools are all in place inside. I'm still working on a lot of shop fixtures, and I'm sure that will continue for a long time. I have to give a big thank you to my architect - Eric Gronning - who is a furniture maker too. BTW, this shop is downtown in Washington D.C., just two blocks from a subway station.

One of the pictures below shows the 'before' - a couple of 100-year-old stone garages that were incredibly dilapidated. It took me two years to convince the owners to sell them. Another year to get permission from the city to build. Another year to get around to building it. And then...the magic day when the table saw arrived and I could get to the real work. (To be clear, on that day I had no insulation, little light, and plywood for doors, but I knew my priorities.)

Bruce Page
03-24-2020, 4:03 PM
That’s a really nice shop. I love the architecture.

Jim Becker
03-24-2020, 4:32 PM
Sam, that was a masterful transformation! Congrats on getting to this point...it's beautiful!

Jamie Buxton
03-24-2020, 4:53 PM
That is really nice!

I'm wondering about the surrounding context. In the pic labeled GM Angle, it looks like there are more of these dilapidated ex-garage structures on the right. In most urban areas, parking spaces are quite valuable. But it seems here that they are abandoned. What's up with that?

Sam Shankar
03-25-2020, 9:25 AM
In most urban areas, parking spaces are quite valuable. But it seems here that they are abandoned. What's up with that?

Long story. The garages were built in the 1930s and are very small. It's hard to get a modern car in there, and even harder to open the doors once you are in. (Let alone close a garage door behind you.) Plus they were super dilapidated (see picture below), and would be very expensive to update purely as parking spaces. When we moved into our house (our backyard is immediately adjacent to the back wall of the garage), the older woman who owned the garages tried to sell one to us for $30k, which seemed insane at the time, even in such a prime location close to apartments and the subway. Long story short, ten years later we were begging her children to sell three of them, for only a slightly smaller amount of money.

I had to buy three in order to get a 450 square foot space. So every time I dither about whether to buy a tool, I consider the cost of the square foot of space I'm standing on! One way I justified it is that it would only take relatively minor work for a future owner to turn this into an auxiliary dwelling. It's built to residential code, insulated, and framed so that it's easy to remove the garage door and add more windows.

My wife was spectacular throughout this, encouraging me to 'do it right' all along. She was right that there ended up being not much difference in work and cost between 'a shop' and what our tightly-knit neighborhood calls 'the Garage Mahal' Shortly after we built it, other neighbors bought up every other garage in the row, and there are building plans for most already. After we spent years getting the sellers to the table and wearing down the city's permitting office and the larger neighborhood's historic preservation cops, it's been smoother sailing for our neighbors.

Oh, and one more thing. I can't tell you how awesome it was to have an architect and a builder who both 'got it.' The architect designs metal-and-glass furniture (http://www.gronningarchitects.com/benches), and was one of the first to play with the sawstop when it showed up. It's great to hear things like 'you're gonna need 220 outlets in the middle of the floor' and 'trust me on the cedar.'

Jon Nuckles
03-25-2020, 1:01 PM
That looks great, Sam. I have a shop in Chicago, which I rent, and am impressed with your diligence in overcoming obstacles to build your own where space is hard to come by. Enjoy your dream shop!

David Stone (CT)
03-26-2020, 9:13 PM
Wow, Sam, that is an absolutely fantastic shop and the design is terrific! For us woodworkers who live in urban neighborhoods in big cities-- I live in the core of Boston-- having any kind of home shop is a huge challenge, if not impossible, and you must be thrilled to finally have one. The only personal shop I know of in my neighborhood belongs to a hobbyist woodworker/turner who rents a basement space in a non-profit artists' complex. My solution is to have my shop in a weekend house property in a rural area, for which I'm grateful. But I'm still jealous. Congrats!

Sam Shankar
03-26-2020, 11:40 PM
I’ve actually been wondering if I can find a way to share the space with others in a way that doesn’t too badly cramp my own style or cewate a safety risk. If anyone has done that successfully I’d love to know. Kind of a moot point these days though.

Jon Nuckles
03-27-2020, 6:08 PM
I’ve actually been wondering if I can find a way to share the space with others in a way that doesn’t too badly cramp my own style or cewate a safety risk. If anyone has done that successfully I’d love to know. Kind of a moot point these days though.

I used to share my space with another woodworker; in fact, he had the space when I came to it. I think the key element is trust in the person you share with. You need to trust that he or she won't steal from you, but also that the person knows how to use the tools safely. If you find a person you can trust, it is great to have someone to talk to about woodworking and help you figure out solutions to challenging projects. It is also nice to have an extra hand for complex glue-ups. The guy I shared with moved out of state and my landlord now insists I can't share the space with other woodworkers, or I would be looking for someone to share the shop (and the rent).

Prior to that shop, I worked in a communal shop run by the Chicago Park District. I was glad to have a space to work and enjoyed the camaraderie, but the hours were limited and you had to bring your hand tools and such to and from the shop each time. That got old.

Pete Costa
04-15-2020, 6:07 PM
Our house came with a (very) detached 2 car garage. I replaced the garage doors with the French doors and front windows, put more windows in on all sides, and finished the interior. It’s just inside our tree line so I get great shade from the hot MD summer but still lots of natural light. My very own fortress of solitude.

David Stone (CT)
04-17-2020, 7:35 PM
That’s a great shop, Pete, and “fortress of solitude” nicely captures a sentiment a great many of us have.

bob cohen
05-11-2020, 3:16 PM
Here are pics and a video from my last shop. I sold it and the house in October and am finally ready to start build on my new (and definitely last) shop. I will not be able to duplicate everything I had in the last, but hope to make it just as functional. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxYozuwJt14

Bruce Page
05-11-2020, 3:46 PM
Beautiful shop Bob!

Kevin Jenness
05-11-2020, 6:14 PM

Jeff Bartley
05-28-2020, 8:19 AM
Kevin,
That's a slick add-on to your slider, I'm guessing it lets you rip a full sheet?
Nice shops everyone! Jeff

Kevin Jenness
05-28-2020, 8:25 AM
"
That's a slick add-on to your slider, I'm guessing it lets you rip a full sheet?"

It allows for mounting a clamp.

Travis Conner
07-22-2020, 10:43 AM
I've been working on trying to either build or buy a steel warehouse building that I can do wood working in and store trailers and such. Looking into a commercial property that I can rent out later down the line as income. It seems like the issue is if I'm not running a business then they don't want me in a commercial/industrial building. I actually think an industrially zoned building would fit what I'm trying to do better. Something around 4-5000 sq ft with 4 bay doors in front to easily back trailers into. Then possibly rent a small portion of it out to cover costs.

mike stenson
07-22-2020, 11:01 AM

waaaaaaait just one minute. Are you using the beams to hold lumber? THAT'S BRILLIANT!!!! (and thanks for the idea)

David M Peters
11-17-2020, 2:54 PM
I've been working in my 20x45 house addition shop for a few months new and am pleased with it!

Most of the floor is a floating 2x4 construction with loose-lay vinyl thrown on top. 1/2" plywood walls. Those seem to be the two most common decision points around shop design!

For those interested there is more detail on HVAC, electrical, and lighting here: https://tracezero.net/woodworking/shop/

https://tracezero.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/20200928_081236-1024x768.jpg

Ron Selzer
11-18-2020, 12:25 PM
Nice work, looks good

Jim Becker
11-18-2020, 1:25 PM
That's a beautiful space, David!!!

Lisa Starr
11-18-2020, 2:40 PM
Beautiful space...it looks so open a bright.

Matt Lau
08-26-2021, 1:06 PM
I haven't been on the creek for a while, but maaaaaaaan quite a few nice posts!

Keep sharing everybody!
I'll be hopefully revamping my workshop this year.

Halgeir Wold
08-28-2021, 4:29 PM
Lots of really nice workshops... but folks, - these are mostly pro shops, or semi-pro with aspirations...;)
I'd love to some small shops... 150- 250 sq.ft. or so... like what's available in an average condo... or somthing..

John K Jordan
08-29-2021, 11:23 AM
Lots of really nice workshops... but folks, - these are mostly pro shops, or semi-pro with aspirations...;)
I'd love to some small shops... 150- 250 sq.ft. or so... like what's available in an average condo... or somthing..

Here's a small shop for you. :)

I've had four "hobby" shops, not counting my first: radial arm saw, sabre saw, and ROS on the porch of a small house, covered with tarps in case of blowing rain!
At my second house I build a gigantic 16x16 shop - lathes, bandsaw, radial arm saw, planer, lots of small tools. Barely room to walk.
Before and while I was building my current shop I crammed everything into 1/2 a 2-car garage. Some tools were stored on big shelves in other side of the garage. It was so tight that when a friend came over one of us had to go outside so the other could get to the primary lathe!
I wasn't particularly "proud" of any of those, certainly no photos fit for a thread entitled "Those proud of their workshops, please post pics!"

If looking for ideas on setting up a shop in a small space, there are lots of books. FWW has had several special publications about shops and small shops. One shows tiny shop, some mobile in trailers, RVs, some with fold down spaces. I have this book, good for ideas: https://www.amazon.com/Small-Woodworking-Shops-Best-Fine/dp/1561586862
First, what kind of shop? Some of the articles I've seen on very small woodworking shops are about specialty shops: chairmaking with hand tools, instrument making, carving, woodturning of course. Use of mobile bases is common for larger tools. Electrical power may be a limitation in some spaces.

Perhaps even of more interest to some would be floor plans with storage, tool placement. Maybe someone with an effective tiny shop will start a new thread "Happy with your small shop? Post pictures! And floor plans!" I've seen some nice things that came from tight and tidy small shops, sometimes done entirely with hand tools.

Kevin Jenness
08-29-2021, 7:11 PM
When I first moved here I had my shop in a 16' x 20' section of my house, what is now the living room. In it were a 16" jointer and planer, 10" tablesaw with 48" rip fence, 36" bandsaw, 3/4" spindle shaper, 10" radial arm saw and a 6' workbench. To plane or rip a long board (10') I had to open a door to the kitchen or outside. Thim was the days, Mister Dooley. Sorry, no pictures. It instilled a discipline for organization and cleaning up that has stuck with me.

Steve Tripp
10-27-2021, 8:41 AM
We purchased our new place about a year ago and I started working on the pole shed almost immediately. Just being a tin shell, it magnified the heat in the summer and was as cold as the outside in the winter. I began with 1 1/2 inch foam board, then furred out the walls for batt insulation. I then sheathed and painted. I had "professionals" come in and spray the ceiling and they did an ok/good job. I then had a ductless mini-split put in and it was an excellent decision. With the Minnesota temperature shifts, the mini-split works a treat during the summer and so far has done excellently to keep the shop at about 60F this fall. It won't be able to handle the weeks of -20 to -30, but I do have another heater as a standby.

This is the first workshop that I can use year-round and it has been excellent.

https://badwolfwoodworking.com/wp/2021/03/01/workshop-upgrade/
https://badwolfwoodworking.com/wp/2021/05/19/workshop-upgrade-part-2/

Bruce Page
10-27-2021, 1:34 PM
Nice shop Steve. I'd love to have that much space!

Steve Tripp
10-27-2021, 6:55 PM
Nice shop Steve. I'd love to have that much space!

When we first bought the place I thought, "I'll never be able to fill that much space". And then went and filled it.

Kyle Stiefel
12-12-2021, 3:27 PM
The slow evolution of the shop. It started about 20 months ago and I got the DC plugged together over the last few weekends. I ran 8" main to 6" side outs. I went with Blast Gate Company who I highly recommend. An outstanding product with equally impressive customer service. I will hopefully have electricity to the shop about May/June and with my TS arriving around the same time frame to hopefully be making saw dust in short order. I of course would have liked to place the DC outside the main shop but it wasn't in the cards for several reasons. My first projects will be a miter station and roubo workbench.

Ron Selzer
12-12-2021, 6:14 PM
very nice, enjoy it

Jim Becker
12-12-2021, 7:41 PM
Looks really good Kyle!

Dudley Wireman
12-30-2021, 8:53 PM
So I’m just getting started on setting up my workshop. Attached is a picture so far. Electricians just installed all the rough in wiring and a 200 amp service. It’s 2400sf (30x40) with 11’ walls. It will be my retirement job when I officially retire in two years. The garage door is 10’ and has been also been installed before this pic was taken. My father-in-law who recently passed away this year was a carpenter and I received most of his power tools. My plan is mill my own lumber (13 acres of trees around me) for projects and also get into CNC woodworking. I’ll post more pics as the progress continues. I’ve been reading all the posts I can find on how to setup up shop based on others posts. Thanks to all in the community! 470806

Jason White
01-04-2022, 3:33 PM
Still a work in progress, but aren't they all?

https://youtu.be/5lg06U9FtL0

Patrick Kane
01-04-2022, 4:52 PM
Kyle,

We need more pics of that shop. Is it a freestanding timber frame shop, or is that the basement of a TF home? You are living my future WWing dream. I would love to have a TF shop one day.

Ola Carmonius
10-19-2022, 11:21 AM
Hi everyone, here's my small shop, around 20 square meters or 215 square foot. It looks really crowded in the pics but is actually not that bad. Used to have all machines on castors and move them around if I had big projects but took a decision some years back that 2m 10cm was to be max length my shop can handle and now everything is fixed, except for the bandsaw. Best shop decision I've ever made, I spend zero time now rolling the machines around figuring out how to tackle a projects involving long pieces. Felt bad in the beginning to turn down a few projects but now I'm more than happy to not have to wrestle large things around in the shop.

Don't know if there are any specific highlights, the Wadkin Bursgreen AGS10 from 1958 was restored from quite bad shape and got a true following riving knife and a dust hood. Drill press is a swedish brand Arboga from the 60-70s with gear speeds, super heavy duty construction. Bandsaw from same time period, also that a swedish one, one piece cast iron frame and very strong and heavy for it's size. The only newer machine I have is the jointer planer, Hammer A3-31 with spiral cutter.

Dust extractor is placed outside this room and I have two ductings inside, one to the table saw and one to the jointer/planer. Rest of the machines are handled with vaccum extractor and cyclone. Assembly table double dutys as router table, Incra cleansweep rings interface routed directly down in the table, no insert plate, router is bolted from underneath.

Two metal lathes (which I mainly use for wood) at the moment, the small Emco will be sold once the VFD is installed on the Myford super 7 one.

edit. Found some better pics.

488295 488296 488297 488298 488299

Bruce Page
10-19-2022, 1:21 PM
Nice well thought out shop Ola. I too have a small shop that got even smaller when I parked a CNC in it a few years ago. I would love to have a sink and a comfy “thinking chair” like that!
The AGS10 is gorgeous!

Maurice Mcmurry
10-19-2022, 3:00 PM
My tools are currently in our residential, detached garage. Our town ordinance has a 1/2 horsepower limit for home business, so it is a hobby space. The grid tied P.V. system keeps the shop and home over 1000 KW in the black. The solar system is a token effort towards "treading lightly". So far it has a positive impact on the confusing nature of being human.

Clifford McGuire
10-19-2022, 4:07 PM
Our town ordinance has a 1/2 horsepower limit for home business,

I'm not sure what this means. 1/2 HP per tool? Heck, I have a Shop Vac that thinks it's a couple HP!

Matt Lau
09-13-2023, 8:59 PM
Since the last post, I got married, got a son, and got back into woodworking.
I'm trying to cram in as much woodworking before he starts crawling.

In the meantime, I'm planning to build my workshop like the Operating Room my kid had to go to at 2 weeks old.

Central workbench/gurney. Maybe a side cart
Great lighting overhead.
Open bay.
Modular shelving on sides. Disposables hung on the walls.

Cameron Wood
09-14-2023, 12:16 AM
They can't all be pristine and dust/shaving free!

here's mine- currently, and early on at this location (major fixer house) in 2010. Seventh since the '70's. The table saw and bench have been at every one.

Albert Lee
09-14-2023, 6:19 AM
the latest view.

added the following since my last post..

SCM L'Invincibile si X
SCM L'Invincibile S7
SCM TI145EP
Nederman S750

Jim Becker
09-14-2023, 9:45 AM
A more recent photo of my shop, uncharacteristically with a floor cleaner than normal. LOL

Kevin Jenness
09-14-2023, 4:56 PM
Jim, I like those curved truss chords. Was that a special order?

Michael Burnside
09-14-2023, 6:22 PM
Jim, looks great with good workflow it would seem. Is the large table supported by what look like Kreg Sawhorses for breaking down sheet goods?

Jim Becker
09-15-2023, 1:05 PM
Jim, I like those curved truss chords. Was that a special order?

LOL...that's what a very wide angle lens does to a photo. They are normal, flat bottomed trusses.

Jim, looks great with good workflow it would seem. Is the large table supported by what look like Kreg Sawhorses for breaking down sheet goods?

That's the support table for my TrueTrac slab flattening system but also gets used with the tracksaw for, um...tracksawing :D ...and for clamping/assembling when convenient. Right now, I have the support for spraying finish on a guitar body fastened to it. It breaks down into three pieces if I need it out of the way, not including the Kreg Sawhorses. (I may get less expensive horses to park under the support table so I can use the blue ones more constructively in my shop and home)

George Yetka
09-15-2023, 2:15 PM
My virtual shop. We were supposed to break ground last month. I have a few more permitting problems to resolve. Hopefully we will be breaking ground around Oct 1st,... The steel and plastic for the slab are already onsite.

Mark
How is that grass growing around the TS?

Whoops very old post

George Yetka
09-15-2023, 2:25 PM

Jim the security cam made it look like you had purple heart for sacrificial boards. Im glad to see that wasnt the case

Jim Becker
09-16-2023, 9:18 AM
Jim the security cam made it look like you had purple heart for sacrificial boards. Im glad to see that wasnt the case
That's purple duct tape on MDF sacrificial.

Michael Burnside
09-17-2023, 1:15 AM
Just finished a turntable cabinet for my son and cleaned the shop, so I decided it was a good time to post :D
Overall very happy with the workflow. It has been evolving for the last 3 years but I think I've nailed down what works best for me.

https://i.postimg.cc/FRpX2Lmn/sfhigh1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/ZR4h7ckd/sfhigh2.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/ZnqzZ55Y/sfhigh3.jpg

Kyle Stiefel
09-17-2023, 8:11 AM
Just finished a turntable cabinet for my son and cleaned the shop, so I decided it was a good time to post :D
Overall very happy with the workflow. It has been evolving for the last 3 years but I think I've nailed down what works best for me.

Love the organization, looks great with some color pop as well.

Ron Selzer
09-17-2023, 8:26 AM
Nice shop, mine has never been that clean and won't be until all tools and equipment is gone. Very good job taking care of your shop. How do the two different dust collectors compare?
Ron

Michael Burnside
09-17-2023, 12:25 PM
Nice shop, mine has never been that clean and won't be until all tools and equipment is gone. Very good job taking care of your shop. How do the two different dust collectors compare?
Ron

The two don’t really compare. The Oneida is super powerful on 4” tools and equally so with the 2.5” hose I use to sweep the floors and tools. It was more expensive though so I guess you get what you pay for here. That said, the Rockler is a great DC that does the job for the CNC and drill press. With a CNC that can spend a couple of hours on a carve I prefer to have the wear and tear on the Rockler.

Michael Burnside
09-17-2023, 12:27 PM
Love the organization, looks great with some color pop as well.

Thanks! Yea I’m a drawer/bin guy for most things. Always have been.

Kyle Stiefel
01-01-2024, 3:03 PM
I figured I would post some pics of the shop, just got fully under power 3 weeks ago and waiting for glue to dry at the moment. It has been a 4 year process and fully under power but waiting for a 400 amp meter head that dumps 200 to house and 200 to shop/garage. Apparently the one my utililty company desires has been on back order over 2 years.

This has been life long dream moving from a smaller garage shop previously and then sold all the big tools while traveling with the service and job training. Trying to make a few kid kitchen stools at the moment. My wife and I had our second last Mar, a son who will hopefully make the sawdust some day. He will grow old with us, he has Down's and had a rough start to life. A few families watched our daughter while my wife didn't leave the hospital for 6 weeks straight, absolutely amazing. So I am making each of their families one, they each have 4 kids with the youngest being 3 weeks old. I will keep one for the house here, the one with the most errors of course. I was hoping to have them done by christmas but time ran short. Next project will be a roubo bench that I have always desired. Couldn't be more pleased with how everything came out in the shop. Sorry for the rotated pics, I have given up trying to figure out how to rotate them on the site.

Kyle Stiefel
01-01-2024, 3:05 PM
Last few pics

Dan Barber
01-01-2024, 3:07 PM
Kyle, that is a beautiful shop space. I love a timber frame building. Any pictures of the outside you could share? Awesome tool setup too! Congratulations!

Kyle Stiefel
01-01-2024, 4:15 PM
Kyle, that is a beautiful shop space. I love a timber frame building. Any pictures of the outside you could share? Awesome tool setup too! Congratulations!

Thanks. The retaining wall was done by the prior guy here as he had plans for a garage/mother in law suite that would attach to the house. For simplicity I chose to have the garage/shop detached.

Dan Barber
01-01-2024, 4:28 PM
Simply beautiful! Enjoy...

Bruce Page
01-01-2024, 5:30 PM
Very nice! I wish I had your sqft.

Jim Becker
01-01-2024, 7:15 PM
Kyle, my electrician had a similar challenge with the 320 amp meter housing end of last year that was required for my spit 200/200 service like yours, too. He got lucky when another electrician acquaintance of his had a job cancellation and had one available...and for a reasonable cost.

Your shop looks great! Congrats on getting it to where you are now! And wow, what a great looking exterior setting and building, too.

Ron Selzer
01-01-2024, 7:39 PM
very nice, is the second floor lumber storage or?
Ron

Kyle Stiefel
01-02-2024, 8:08 PM
Kyle, my electrician had a similar challenge with the 320 amp meter housing end of last year that was required for my spit 200/200 service like yours, too. He got lucky when another electrician acquaintance of his had a job cancellation and had one available...and for a reasonable cost.

Your shop looks great! Congrats on getting it to where you are now! And wow, what a great looking exterior setting and building, too.

You scored! I actually wouldn't mind if it doesn't come in as it will likely cost a bundle. That being said I haven't tripped the house yet running the most I would pull at the same time as a single dust maker. I hand rolled the all the exterior boards in my basement, a whole lot of Sherwin Williams.

very nice, is the second floor lumber storage or?
Ron

Kind of a catch all, got some lumber and my weight rack which I need to use more among other random things.

Michael Zerance
04-14-2024, 12:32 PM
Last few pics

Very nice! Can you tell me the brand/model of your jointer's outfeed conveyor?

Gerald Etto
04-29-2024, 9:14 PM

I moved into this new space almost a year ago, and there's still a lot of things to do. This is the largest workshop space I've ever had and despite how hot it gets, I love it. Dust collection is a problem for me, so all the milling machines are in the separate room with windows. That way I can at least contain the dust in one place (mostly). All the woodworking tables and tool cabinet I built myself. If only I could afford to install air-conditioning I could spend more time in here.

Michael Burnside
04-30-2024, 10:23 AM
That's quite the space you have there! What would you say you build most frequently in your shop?

Maurice Mcmurry
04-30-2024, 11:04 AM
I'm not sure what this means. 1/2 HP per tool? Heck, I have a Shop Vac that thinks it's a couple HP!

I am glad this thread resurfaced. It appears the rule "no machine with horse power greater than 1/2" has been removed from the list. It did seem silly.

https://www.businesslicenses.com/Licenses/MO/Boone/Columbia-2901915670/Home-Occupation-Permit-30077/