PDA

View Full Version : Any adhesive experts on SMC?

Scott T Smith
08-28-2016, 10:29 PM
I'm in need of some unusual advice regarding a specialty adhesive. Here on the farm I use an old Fiat Allis 100C motor grader to keep up the farm roads, as well as grade new pastures if/when needed. My grader is about 40 years old, and Fiat Allis has been out of business for quite a while. Overall the machine is in pretty good shape and the limited amount of use that I put on it makes it hard to justify buying a newer, more expensive grader if I can repair this one for a reasonable cost.

The harmonic balancer on the diesel engine suffered a failure, and replacement parts are basically unavailable. The outer ring of the balancer has a belt pulley built into it, and the rubber insert between the hub and the outer ring has shrunk, allowing the outer ring to become detached from the hug. The rubber is still consistent, and the outer ring is not worn, so it appears as if a combination of inserting some shims to center the outer ring on the hub, coupled with injecting an adhesive between the rubber and the outer ring will solve the problem.

My question is regarding adhesive selection. I need something that will adhere well to both rubber as well as cast steel, and have a bit of flexibility so that the actions of the balancer do not break the adhesive seal.

Any suggestions?

Thx.

Scott

Jerry Bruette
08-28-2016, 10:41 PM
How big is the gap? Loctite makes an adhesive called black max, it's a type of super glue that's "toughened" and will fill some gaps.

Wayne Lomman
08-29-2016, 12:28 AM
Scott, three possible options for a start.

Use the glue they use for rubber lining steel tanks, ball mills etc. It is 2 pack. I will find a name and post again this evening.

Find what other machines had that diesel in them. The part may be available for one of them or else give more options for second hand purchase.

Take it to a vulcanising shop where they do solid fork lift tyres etc. They may be able to recondition it. Cheets

Wayne Lomman
08-29-2016, 7:02 AM
Scott, try the loctite fixmaster range. There are 3 or 4 variations so you can choose which suits best. Cheers

Chris Parks
08-29-2016, 8:27 AM
I am pretty sure you can get harmonic balancers re-built specifically due to the problem you have.

Greg R Bradley
08-29-2016, 9:52 AM
I am pretty sure you can get harmonic balancers re-built specifically due to the problem you have.
Exactly, they will re vulcanize the unit.

Isn't it an inline 6 cyl? If so it is probably a crank damper. Harmonic Balancer adds weights to help cancel out secondary balance problems in unbalanced engine configurations like a 90 degree V-8.

Scott T Smith
08-30-2016, 8:28 PM
Exactly, they will re vulcanize the unit.

Isn't it an inline 6 cyl? If so it is probably a crank damper. Harmonic Balancer adds weights to help cancel out secondary balance problems in unbalanced engine configurations like a 90 degree V-8.

Yes, it's an inline 6, so it's a crank dampener, not a harmonic balancer.

The problem is that the outer ring has a pulley machined into it that is somewhat unique to the machine. I've tried a number of heavy equipment recycle yards that specialize in Fiat Allis and none of them have a crank dampener that matches mine (must have been a design flaw with the rubber that they used).

I'll check into the Loctite Fixmaster. Thanks much for the advice!

Scott

Greg R Bradley
08-30-2016, 9:03 PM
I've bought many rebuilt dampers. I buy them from a company that stocks them so can't really ask them for their supplier. It is clear from packaging they come from two different rebuilders. There are several that advertise on the web that they will rebuild yours. We buy a couple per month and have had no failures. I'd guess any of them do OK.