PDA

View Full Version : timing for roubo build

tim vadas
08-28-2016, 9:00 PM
Hi all,

I'm thinking about starting to build a roubo bench, but i have a couple questions before i start. I have a good hobby workshop with pm66, 8" jointer, drill press, nice bandsaw, 15" planer, and a good collection of hand tools, so i shouldn't be limited by tools. I've got about 10 years experience building mostly furniture (sideboard, couple bookcases, end tables, etc.), so in terms of skills, i'm adequate. Just a couple questions:

1) Approximately how long do you think it would it take to build the frame and top? I have adequate skills, but am only working a couple hours nights and weekends on it. I ask because once i get started on this, i won't have room to do much else in the workshop and there are some other things i need to do around the house in the fall. I haven't completely decided on size yet, but i think 24" wide by 7' long. So far, I have the pieces for the legs, frame and top roughed out and taking up too much space in my shop. If it takes too long though to put together, i just might wait until the winter.

2) I'm using oak because i have it. I had some trees sawed into lumber and plan to use the lesser quality 8/4 boards. Most of the wood is quartersawn, but there are knots here and there. I figured i would keep knots away from the outside faces of the tables and legs, and keep them on the inside. If they are not tight knots, i thought i would just rout out the center of them before gluing anything together so i don't have to worry about them moving around. Does that seem adequate? anyone foresee any problems with that?

Thanks for any input!

Tim

Roy Turbett
08-29-2016, 10:21 PM
Hi all,

1) Approximately how long do you think it would it take to build the frame and top? .

Tim

Like any project, it will take whatever amount of time you allow for it. That's why it always took me a full semester to write a term paper that was assigned on day one!

Randy Bonella
08-31-2016, 12:32 AM
Per a prior comment: It will take as long as you have time to put into it! a truer statement ever said! Mine took about 1 year. Now I only got to work on parts of it for a few days every month or so. reality is that it took me about 3 weeks if I would have been able to do it full time. I started with reclaimed wood, had to let it dry again as it had been outside in the rain. milled it to rough dimensions. hand planed to flat for glue-ups, so on and so forth. Once you have all the pieces made putting it together goes real fast. The top took the longest. Waiting for glue to dry was the hardest part. I used plastic saw horses to do the glue-up on and almost broke them the top was so heavy. no other option given I had no work bench and didn't even think that making real saw horses for temporary support would have been much better. .

Would I do it again? yes in a heartbeat. would I try and guess how long it would take me? never in your life. I don't do this full time so hard to say how long any given project will take.
So... from this: to this: 343273

I learned a lot, I made a lot of mistakes but I had fun and in the end thats what counts. Enjoy the journey!!! thats what is important!

Robert Engel
08-31-2016, 7:57 AM
Impossible question to answer. So much depends on how skilled you are, organized, what tools you have, etc.

Most of the base is a form of timber framing. So, for example, if you don't have a power mortiser, how long will that take? Depends on how many/what kind of mortises. I can only guess maybe 30 minutes/mortise? 1 hour? Before building my next one, I bought a power mortiser.

My advice is take your time and do every step with as much skill as you can. You may constantly feel pressed to hurry and that's where mistakes and poor craftsmanship are born.

Rod Sheridan
08-31-2016, 8:21 AM
Hi Tim, I would make the bench 31 inches wide so a 30 inch cabinet can sit on it.

My bench has 2 twelve inch wide slabs with a tool tray in the middle.................Rod.

Erik Christensen
08-31-2016, 2:44 PM
I built mine over a xmas holiday - so maybe 12-14 full days. Stuff does not take up space till you start assembly; so if you are willing to spend a bit more time on design and plan your work accordingly you can push all that to late in the process to minimize time with a shop cluttered with partially completed parts.