PDA

View Full Version : table top and ros question

Larry Crim
09-28-2005, 4:53 PM
First off I am in the middle of planning my dining room table and was looking at others for ideas, My question is why do some tables have the wood grain running across the table and some have it length ways, I have noticed on tables with insert leafs most of them at the stores have the wood grain going the across the table. Is there a reason to do it one way or the other? Also I killed my PC 333 ros today does anyone know where you can get a rebuild kit, (brushes,bearings ect...)
Thanks
Larry

Keith Christopher
09-28-2005, 5:07 PM
First off I am in the middle of planning my dining room table and was looking at others for ideas, My question is why do some tables have the wood grain running across the table and some have it length ways, I have noticed on tables with insert leafs most of them at the stores have the wood grain going the across the table. Is there a reason to do it one way or the other? Also I killed my PC 333 ros today does anyone know where you can get a rebuild kit, (brushes,bearings ect...)
Thanks
Larry

Larry,

I think it is mostly what they're working with, I personally like it lengthwise as it is much less endgrain to work with. But it's all up to you as the designer/builder.

PC info.
http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=244&transaction=search&template=map_search&maxSearchResults=20&pageResults=20&radius=300&searchQuantifier=AND&country=us&search1=1&search3=1&search6=1&address=&city=Arlington&stateProvince=wa&postalCode=&x=51&y=15

Dan Oliphant
09-28-2005, 5:33 PM
Larry,
The production builders are looking for the best yield per board foot not the best layout aestheticly. The selected boards should not have any problems when glued long grain to long grain. Just try to plan your top and leaf(s) from the same material.
Personnel note, I don't use biscuits any longer on any of my tops. The glues are SOOO much better than they used to be.

Alan Turner
09-28-2005, 10:28 PM
Yes, there is a reason. If you are inserting traditional leaves to make the table longer, then the grain of the leaves will run across the table, and so the grain of the rest of the table is made to run the same way so it looks the same, with or without leaves. Without leaves, the long grain running end to end is less work, fewer glue ups, etc.

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-29-2005, 12:55 AM
Everybody pretty much knows I'm very down on PC...but even if that weren't the case, I'd suggest the DeWalt over the 333. I have both, and can't remember the last time I used the PC.

KC

Brian Jarnell
09-29-2005, 3:28 AM
I use biscuits,not for strength but to align the boards,making sure that they are well down the board as I have had them swell and can be seen showing.

Sounds a bit double dutch,but I hope you know what I mean.:)

Larry Crim
09-29-2005, 12:18 PM
Thanks for all the replies, since I am going with the traditional leafs I am planning on going with the grain across the short as alan suggested to make it look with or without the leaf inserted, I replaced my pc with a rigid and like it so far but wanted to redo the pc to have a backup.
Thanks
Larry

Fred Dorn
09-29-2005, 4:00 PM
Here is a link to PC's parts ordering site.

http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/ServiceNet/Common/Default.asp

Greg Hairston
09-29-2005, 4:25 PM
Larry,

Give me a call at work. You can use my Sander if you need it.

Greg H