PDA

View Full Version : The struggles of Sketchup.....

Ken Fitzgerald
08-27-2016, 11:22 PM
With Dave Richards as a friend, it's a little embarrassing to admit I am not good with Sketchup.

I did take drafting classes in HS and even worked as a draftsman for a while before going into the USN. Thus, I have a drafting board, and drawing is a lot easier for me than using Sketchup. However, I am determined to learn and have been putting in the hours this last week. I have 2 raised panel doors to build for a linen closet and thought I would use them as a project. The computer I am using Sketchup on uses Windows 10 upgraded software. It's been over a year since I up graded and in my experience, a Windows based computer usually requires a software reload about every year or so. Having some issues, I went into one setting and selected "reset defaults".

Suddenly, the FWW "Sketchup Guide for Woodworkers" The Basics with Dave Richards DVD didn't work anymore. I could open the startup but it wouldn't go to the videos automatically when clicking on a chapter index.

Long story short, after hours of poking around, I had to go back to the Windows 10 "Settings" and select Adobe Reader for the automatic default for .pdf files and then it worked again.

Sadly a recently purchased laptop with Windows 10 exhibited the same symptoms as it must come with the standard defaults. The FWW DVD didn't work in it either.

I am trying Dave!

Gerry Grzadzinski
08-28-2016, 2:48 AM
It's been over a year since I up graded and in my experience, a Windows based computer usually requires a software reload about every year or so.

If you don't install over 50 programs, and have a reasonably decent PC, this shouldn't be necessary. With higher end PC's, I have no problem going 5+ years without needing to reinstall.
Actually, the last time I needed to reinstall windows for performance reasons was pre Windows XP.
Now, if you download all kinds of crap and click on everything that pops up in your face when online, then all bets are off.
A friend of mine that uses his PC for almost nothing but web surfing, constantly has issues with his PC's, and always has.

Wayne Lomman
08-28-2016, 9:46 AM
Ken, Formula 1's leading designer Adrian Newey still uses a drawing board and he has designed more wining cars than anyone else in the highest technology sport on the planet. The new ways are quicker for the Wizzo's but they are no substitute for ability. Cheers

Pat Barry
08-28-2016, 10:16 AM
...in my experience, a Windows based computer usually requires a software reload about every year or so!
No. This is not a "usual" thing to do. In fact, I have never heard of this before. One thing that was needed in the old days, due to disk capacity, was a Defrag - even this is not really necessary with new machines.

Dave Richards
08-28-2016, 11:39 AM
Ken, I just stuck a copy of the DVD into my Win 10 machine and it behaves as expected including the menu thing.

I wonder what setting the default application for PDFs would have to do with playing the videos on the disk.

Let me know if you need some help, Ken.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-28-2016, 12:43 PM
Ken, I just stuck a copy of the DVD into my Win 10 machine and it behaves as expected including the menu thing.

I wonder what setting the default application for PDFs would have to do with playing the videos on the disk.

Let me know if you need some help, Ken.

Dave, I don't know. Before I set Adobe Reader to be the default .pdf reader, I could play the videos manually by clicking on the video listings on the CD using File Explorer. Clicking on the Start file using File Explorer got me into the PDF text but clicking on the chapter indexes did nothing. But once I set Adobe Reader as the default to read .PDF files, when I clicked on the chapter indexes, the videos began normally.

I will go try it again and verify it on my new laptop.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-28-2016, 1:19 PM
Dave,

I just tried it again on the new Dell laptop and the chapter indexes didn't take me to the video. I looked in the Settings and Microsoft Edge was the default reader for .pdf files. There was no version of Adobe Reader on that new laptop. I downloaded the latest version of Adobe Reader made for Win 10 and now the Chapter Indexes automatically take you to the videos as you would expect.

Thanks for the offer!

Greg R Bradley
08-28-2016, 2:28 PM
I'm not familiar with Win8 or Win10 as I only deal with businesses and none of them could operate on those, BUT: I think it is safe to say that if you install Adobe Acrobat it will set itself as the default for .pdf files. If not, go into the settings and change the default application for .pdf files to be Acrobat.

There is lots of incompatibilities with other programs that can view .pdf files. Fancy features like clickable links, menus, TOC, etc. are less likely to work. For example, fill-able .pdf forms on a website frequently work only with IE and Adobe Acrobat.

I have to say that Dave's Sketchup Guide for Woodworkers The Basics is the best way to "think" like Sketchup to learn to use the program.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-28-2016, 2:45 PM
Greg, the download did change the default for PDF files to Adobe during installation.

Lee Schierer
08-28-2016, 3:49 PM
I miss seeing Dave Richards instructions and help here on SMC. I have learned a lot about sketchup using his DVD.

George Bokros
08-28-2016, 3:57 PM
Ken I am with you. i have tried using SketchUp and ended up frustrated and bought a drawing board. I still would like to learn SketchUp for its 3D capabilities. I taught my self Excell and became quite good at linking files, downloading data from our main system to create reports and management presentations but SketchUp kicks my butt.

Dave offered to help me via GoTo Meeting but I hate to take up his time teaching an obviously inept student. If I could find a local class and it was reasonably priced i would take it.

Greg R Bradley
08-28-2016, 5:45 PM
Each CAD software has a different way of approaching the drawing of an object. Dave's way of teaching the Sketchup is incredibly helpful in learning that thought process - think of it as drawing the "Sketchup way". If you can run his tutorial on one screen while running Sketchup on another, it is even better. A two screen setup or a desktop and a laptop helps.

I was an AutoCAD dealer a zillion years ago and use AutoCAD, Corel Draw, Designer, SolidWorks, Chief Architect, and Agtek on a regular basis. Sketchup is different than any of those although closest to SolidWorks. It just helps to learn the way to draw in Sketchup. One day, you will just "get it". Dave's tutorial will help. Once you are proficient, John Lange's "books" will help you get to the next level.

Brian Elfert
08-29-2016, 12:33 AM
I'm not familiar with Win8 or Win10 as I only deal with businesses and none of them could operate on those, BUT: I think it is safe to say that if you install Adobe Acrobat it will set itself as the default for .pdf files. If not, go into the settings and change the default application for .pdf files to be Acrobat.

My employer is large enough to have an enterprise license for Windows and we are in the process of upgrading all of our computers from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I don't believe we would have ever rolled Windows 8 or 8.1. All laptops are getting SSDs when they get imaged with Windows 10 to speed them up.

Frederick Skelly
08-29-2016, 6:29 AM
Ken, George, you're not alone by any means. I dont "get" Sketch-up either. Finally gave up and went back to pencil and graph paper.
Fred

Jim Becker
08-29-2016, 9:11 AM
My employer is large enough to have an enterprise license for Windows and we are in the process of upgrading all of our computers from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I don't believe we would have ever rolled Windows 8 or 8.1. All laptops are getting SSDs when they get imaged with Windows 10 to speed them up.
My employer did the same thing prior to the "expiry" of the free upgrade offer, migrating about 10K machines to Win10 and purchasing a few new ones to replace those that couldn't be effectively upgraded. Those of us who do BYOD with Macs also upgraded to Win10 in our VMs that we still have to maintain for certain applications that are tied exclusively to Windows. Most of my customers (US Federal agencies) are doing the same.

As to SketchUp...I always have found it to be a relatively easy tool to use for visual modeling, but I personally struggled with some of the "details" that might have been normal for a standard CAD package--these things required some finesse to accomplish in SU that I just didn't have time to learn. So I changed my tune. "If" I do any drawings, it's to establish "the look" and the general overall dimensions. Visual prototyping, if you will. From there, I work in the shop determining measurements while building the project doing take-offs and using story sticks when convenient. I've found I really don't need the detail on a drawing and sometimes that can even be a hinderance. In other words, I pre-determine the size of, let's say...the ends, top and bottom of a cabinet...figure the joinery to meld them together and then determine the exact dimensions of subcomponents by measuring from the actual case.

Brian Elfert
08-29-2016, 3:04 PM
My employer did the same thing prior to the "expiry" of the free upgrade offer, migrating about 10K machines to Win10 and purchasing a few new ones to replace those that couldn't be effectively upgraded. Those of us who do BYOD with Macs also upgraded to Win10 in our VMs that we still have to maintain for certain applications that are tied exclusively to Windows. Most of my customers (US Federal agencies) are doing the same.

If a company has an Enterprise license for Windows on the desktop there never was a "free" upgrade to Windows 10. A company has to pay Microsoft a license fee every year to use the Enterprise version of Windows desktop. The license fee includes upgrades to the latest version of Windows. If a company decides to stop paying the yearly licensing fee they are legally required to replace all Enterprise versions of Windows with the Professional version of Windows.

The whole point of my two posts is that some companies are upgrading to Windows 10 already.

Jim Becker
08-29-2016, 8:57 PM
My employer negotiated an upgrade deal with Microsoft that was concurrent with the consumer upgrade offer date to reduce the cost. I don't know the details, but there was a big hurry to get it done...

It didn't affect me as I noted...I'm a BYOD Mac user. ;)