PDA

View Full Version : Glue for Cocobolo

Don Nicholas
08-26-2016, 6:36 PM
I am just cutting out the parts for a special box, using 1/2" material with mitered corners with slip feathers. My question, what glue would be best, I do know I need to while the joints first with DNA or Acitone.
thanks for any info
Don

Wayne Lomman
08-26-2016, 7:44 PM
As with any oily timber, don't use a water based glue. West system or similar epoxy will work best. It's what we use for yacht fittings using similar species. Cheers

Lee Schierer
08-26-2016, 8:06 PM
I made two small bevel lanes 15 years ago out of cocboolo and curly maple and used craftsman woodworkers glue, which is till working fine. I cleaned the surface of teh cocobolo with lacquer thinner and roughed it slightly with 220 grit paper prior to glue up.342996

Wade Lippman
08-26-2016, 8:37 PM
I read an article in one of the magazines a couple years ago that said that the problem was badly exaggerated. They found yellow glue worked just fine and acetone was a waste. YMMV!

I've never glued cocobolo, but I have used yellow glue on bubinga, kingwood, teak, and goncalo alves many times with no problems.

Don Nicholas
08-26-2016, 10:23 PM
Thank you gentleman for your quick replys. Very much appreciated
Don

Andrew Hughes
08-26-2016, 11:08 PM
Same here no problem gluing coco bolo.
Now Lignum Vitae that's a different story.I tried to make a small handplane out of some last year I could not get epoxy to grab it.
That stuff is something else.

Aj

Ron Bontz
08-27-2016, 10:41 AM
I personally use epoxy only because epoxy will adhere to itself. Yellow glue will not. ( not very well, anyway.)