PDA

View Full Version : Spreading ant killer while mowing, towing a drop spreader?

Todd Burch
08-25-2016, 4:30 PM
Does anyone tow a drop spreader with their riding mower to broadcast fire ant bait while they are mowing? Seems like it would be a "kill two birds with one stone" scenario.

If so, what would be a good drop spreader to tow behind my 52" zero turn? (Bad Boy, 2011 Pro Z model)

Thanks!

Steve Eure
08-25-2016, 5:24 PM
Read the directions on the bait. Most of the products available for application without an applicators license that I'm familiar with say to sprinkle on top and around ;the mound and water in. Some years back there were products that were used for broadcast but because of some folks have been banned from the domestic marketplace. I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but there may be something available now that I'm not aware of.

Steve Eure
08-25-2016, 5:33 PM
Sorry Todd. I forgot to mention to not disturb the mound while doing this. Mowing over them would do that. If you were using a liquid spray rig you could use any number of products that kill on contact. The problem with them is that they generally don't kill the queen. She would be buried way down in the mound for protection. The ants then would relocate the mound if disturbed enough but you would still have the problem.
Back in the 70's we used a product that escapes my memory now that was broadcast or sprinkled on the mound in our hay fields and pastures. Worked very effectively and of curse the good ole government banned it.

Todd Burch
08-25-2016, 5:39 PM
Thanks Steve. I would like to do a two-step approach.

1) contact-killing granules watered in on the mound, followed by
2) long working bait broadcast all over the yard.

John K Jordan
08-25-2016, 6:10 PM
Does anyone tow a drop spreader with their riding mower to broadcast fire ant bait while they are mowing?...

I would certainly use the poison on any fire ant mounds. That should get rid of the colonies.

But what kind of ants do you want to kill in the rest of the yard? Since most ants are extremely beneficial I leave them alone in the yards. I do apply ant killer to a narrow band around the house foundation to keep them out of the house.

You can find information on the benefits of ants in the yard with google. Here is one: http://www.antweb.org/antblog/2012/08/what-good-are-ants-david-panama-city-florida-usa.html

Does your zero turn have a trailer hitch? My big one doesn't. I thought Kubota recommended not to pull anything with it (a 60" diesel). I have another smaller zero turn and it doesn't have a trailer hitch either. I read an article once that said some consumer models have hitches as a selling point but pulling things can cause stability problems and can cause mechanical damage to the mower. Since the turn can be tight a jackknife might also be an issue. Also, my zero turns have the engine behind the seat and sensors that turn off the engine if I'm not sitting square in the seat. This might make it difficult to operate the levers that control the spreader.

As for a spreader, I spread lime, seed, and fertilizer in places around the farm by pulling with a 4-wheeler, using either a drop or broadcast spreader. I use a push spreader for tight places. (The fields are another story which involves the tractor!)

JKJ

Lee Schierer
08-25-2016, 6:42 PM
Back in the 70's we used a product that escapes my memory now that was broadcast or sprinkled on the mound in our hay fields and pastures. Worked very effectively.

Ironically, the spread of the red imported fire ant was actually encouraged by the use of Mirex, which also kills native ants that are highly competitive with the fire ants. The Stockholm Convention banned production and use of several persistent organic pollutants, and Mirex is one of the "dirty dozen"

I lived in South Carolina for two years so I am very aware of the fire ant problem. We walked our yard regularly and treated the mounds individually as they appeared.

Malcolm McLeod
08-25-2016, 7:07 PM
Todd, Amdro makes a broadcast bait/killer that is advertised for a "season long control" (long acting). Description says it kills the workers, so the colony "starves". I've never put a radio collar on the queen, but my suspicion is that they just move, or go dormant while they rebuild their numbers? Anyway, I've used it for about 2 yrs and I'm not convinced it's better than the short acting, direct-to-mound, poison baits.

As for spreaders, we seem to think (fantasize?) alike. Many may not be aware of what a fire ant mound can do to a toddler. I've not seen a spreader for ZTRs, nor have I looked, but they may be out there. Usage of ZTRs has exploded.

I have seen PTO-driven rearward spreaders for the homeowner-sized tractors. But, have never had the time to look at how I could mimic the PTO .... maybe as simple as a 12VDC fan motor from the wrecking yard??

Towed spreaders would be a pain, I tow a 15 gal spray cart and have to be very careful when I turn. My to-do list includes converting it to a 'backpack-style' mount on my ZTR. Tank may have to go up front to maintain reasonable CG.

Todd Willhoit
08-25-2016, 9:24 PM
I am going to guess that anyone mentioning the benefits of ants has not experienced a leg full of fire ant bites.

That said, I have not seen any tow-behind drop spreaders wider than 42" which is a problem if you want complete coverage with say a 60" deck. It may be that an untreated band is not an issue since they would have to migrate through a treated area.

Since you only treat "once a season" (whatever that means) it might make more sense to use a broadcast spreader and make fewer passes. There are some 12V ATV mount units and also heavy-duty tow-behind with rubber tires.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200343065_200343065
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200313903_200313903

What chemical do you use? I have had decent luck with Spectracide at the full season rate. I usually double-up on the perimeter knowing that my neighbors are less likely to treat their yards.

Todd

Anthony Whitesell
08-26-2016, 8:51 AM
If the OP was mowing and spreading at the same time. then as he states he needs a drop spreader. The broadcast spreader would throw into the uncut area and then when cut would spread it elsewhere, not to mention broadcast spreaders are used in a different pattern then drop spreaders and lawn mowers. I like the OPs idea as it would work well for spreading fertilizer too.

Jim Becker
08-27-2016, 9:42 AM
Personally, I'd separate the tasks unless the area to be mowed has zero obstructions, etc., and even then you run the risk of "over application" just due to the typical mowing patterns that come into play.

Please be sure that whatever you're using for the ants isn't harmful to beneficials, such as honeybees... ;)

Allan Speers
08-27-2016, 10:35 PM
Boric acid powder is all you need.

Just sprinkle it liberally on top of every mound. You should be ant free within a week. BTW, it decomposes quickly and is not any kind of danger nor will it pollute wells, etc.

Rich Engelhardt
08-28-2016, 8:12 AM
Does anyone tow a drop spreader with their riding mower to broadcast fire ant bait while they are mowing? Seems like it would be a "kill two birds with one stone" scenario.

If so, what would be a good drop spreader to tow behind my 52" zero turn?Actually - - no, it's not a good idea. I attached a Scott's broadcast spreader to my garden tractor thinking the same thing - kill two birds.
It slowed me down so bad it was counterproductive.

I ended up separating the two tasks and it went much smoother.

That was with a garden tractor that's nowhere near as nimble as a zero turn. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to give up the nimble ability of a zero turn by towing something behind it.

Jerome Stanek
08-28-2016, 9:53 AM
I use a lawn roller in the spring with my zero turn also I use a small garden trailer for gathering up trimmings. Never had a problem.