PDA

View Full Version : Hand Saw

John W Ross
08-25-2016, 1:09 PM
I have a handsaw with a mostly illegible etch that I was looking for help to further identify it. The etch appears to be in the form of a banner. Included in the banner's left side is the word "MAGNETIC". The center section contains an illegible maker's name that appears to be "x. HxxxR(?)xxx" ??? Under the supposed maker's name is "NEW YORK". The entire right side of the etch is very faint and illegible. The saw has a 26" plate, is 2-1/2" at the toe and 7" at the heel, stamped 8 ppi. "55" is stamped under the handle in the upper corner. It has 4 brass nuts including the Warranted Superior medallion which is approximately 13/16" dia. The handle appears to be beech or apple and contains one houndstooth. I cleaned and polished the plate and used cold bluing in attempts to enhance the etch, but it didn't help much. Any help you might provide is appreciated. Attempts to attach pictures failed (I could use some guidance on this evidently).

Jim Koepke
08-25-2016, 3:26 PM
Howdy John and welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't include your location. I am always curious about where folks call home.

When a post is started, the "Reply to Thread" button is double clicked or the "Go Advanced" button is clicked the image above the composition box will have a paper clip icon that will enable posting images.

In the normal composition box there is another method:

Clicking the icon pointed to by the arrow will allow an image to be uploaded and positioned where the curser is at the time of uploading.

Look here for the paper clip method:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?167711-posting-photos-as-of-June-2011

The software has changed some since then. Now only two images can be uploaded at a time for a total of eight in a single post.

If the file size is too large you may have to save a copy of it as a jpeg to upload it.

As to the question of your saw, it is often with tongue in cheek that those are the output of the brothers Warren & Ted Superior.

These were often made by companies like Disston and Atkins or others and branded with an etch for individual distributors and retail outlets.

There isn't a whole lot of information as to who made what for who. Some of the Disston made Warranted Superior saws display a keystone on the eagle's breast.

jtk

John W Ross
08-25-2016, 9:00 PM
Thanks Jim for the welcome and the instructions. I'll take time tomorrow to upload some photos.
I have met the Superior brothers (or is it father and son) and shook their hands many times. I had hoped someone would pick up on the "magnetic" and say 'oh yeah I have one of those' and be able to provide some guidance. For some reason it sticks on my brain that I've seen reference to "magnetic" in an etch somewhere, but it escapes me.