PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Hash Marks??

daniel coyle
08-24-2016, 8:14 PM
I have novice skills with my machine and mostly focus on straightforward work. I was asked to engrave the logo for the Portland Trailblazers onto a bartop and I downloaded a black and white jpg of the logo and converted it to an svg. Here is the jpg 342913

I have a sinjoe 150watt laser with an Awc708c Plus controller. The image loaded up just fine and I set it to engrave and it looked like that is what it was doing when I did a test run with the laser off. When I tested with the laser on the machine was rastering but instead of tight, contiguous engraving I was getting 2-3 mm separation between each rastering movement so that the logo would end up looking like a series of dash marks. I have never seen this before, anyone know what could be going on?

John Noell
08-24-2016, 8:42 PM
A picture might help. The first thing that comes to mind is the "interval" or "scan gap." That determines how far the gantry moves on the Y axis with each pass. Kinda sounds like yours is set to a very large value. (0.1mm is pretty close to 300 DPI as I recall and what I most commonly use.)

Dave Sheldrake
08-24-2016, 8:47 PM
From memory there is a setting to produce dashed lines on the 708C, Im not near one of mine or I would check for you but have a dig round in the software

Kev Williams
08-24-2016, 8:52 PM
so which of these most resembles what you're seeing?

If the one on the right, could be a simple gap setting error...

if the one on the left, could be one of your programs is creating a dashed output...

Klaus Madsen
08-24-2016, 11:23 PM
Of topic but are we not allowed to upload files like AI files?

Kev Williams
08-25-2016, 10:10 AM
at the bottom right of this reply box is the 'go advanced' button, click that, then under the 'manage attachment' button is the list of allowed files- I don't see AI on the list...

daniel coyle
08-25-2016, 12:23 PM
More like the one on the right. 342929

Kev Williams
08-25-2016, 1:59 PM
That looks like a simple gap/scan interval setting-- just guessing, it looks to be maybe .5mm when normal would be .05--

FWIW, my software does NOT like entering .05 as '.05', wants a ZERO before the decimal first! I must enter '0.05' or will ignore the decimal point entirely, leaving me a 5mm gap instead!

daniel coyle
09-28-2016, 4:26 PM
Ok. I do not recall playing around with the settings but I did loan use to a friend. Do you know where the setting control is? The dashed line effect is progressive. The larger I scale the design on the machine the more space there is between dashes. I am trying to attach pics here but it isn't working. Basically, when the design is scaled down enough it is engraved fully without the appearances of dashes. As I scale it up more and more it is composed of dashes that are spaced further and further apart respectively. A moderate size model has 1mm space and a large model might have 2, for example.

Joseph Shawa
09-28-2016, 7:02 PM
What software is that?

Keith Downing
09-28-2016, 7:50 PM
I have novice skills with my machine and mostly focus on straightforward work. I was asked to engrave the logo for the Portland Trailblazers onto a bartop and I downloaded a black and white jpg of the logo and converted it to an svg. Here is the jpg 342913

I have a sinjoe 150watt laser with an Awc708c Plus controller. The image loaded up just fine and I set it to engrave and it looked like that is what it was doing when I did a test run with the laser off. When I tested with the laser on the machine was rastering but instead of tight, contiguous engraving I was getting 2-3 mm separation between each rastering movement so that the logo would end up looking like a series of dash marks. I have never seen this before, anyone know what could be going on?

Not sure if it has anything to do with your issues here, but that is a really low quality jpeg to be using for a large engraving. It's already got some rough edges at less than 300 pixels height.

I usually engrave wood at 300-600 pixels per inch. So that means the graphic you are starting with is originally sized at less than 1 inch. If you're good with a graphics package you might be able to enlarge it and clean up the results. But if you're just blowing it up in the laser software, you're probably getting a pretty bad image to start with.

Just my $.02. Sorry if you're already handled this aspect of it, but you did say you were a novice!

daniel coyle
09-28-2016, 10:26 PM
What software is that? LaserCAD V7.66

daniel coyle
09-28-2016, 10:28 PM
Well, that could be it. I used a conversion program to put it into the correct file type .svg from a .jpg. Its always worked out but I can definitely try again. no offense taken at all.
Not sure if it has anything to do with your issues here, but that is a really low quality jpeg to be using for a large engraving. It's already got some rough edges at less than 300 pixels height.

I usually engrave wood at 300-600 pixels per inch. So that means the graphic you are starting with is originally sized at less than 1 inch. If you're good with a graphics package you might be able to enlarge it and clean up the results. But if you're just blowing it up in the laser software, you're probably getting a pretty bad image to start with.

Just my $.02. Sorry if you're already handled this aspect of it, but you did say you were a novice!

Keith Downing
09-29-2016, 12:20 AM
Well, that could be it. I used a conversion program to put it into the correct file type .svg from a .jpg. Its always worked out but I can definitely try again. no offense taken at all.

Try converting this larger image.344900

Edit: Click on it, then right click to save. Otherwise you're still getting a small version the forum software has created as a thumbnail.

daniel coyle
11-04-2016, 10:06 AM
Thanks Keith, I had to take a break from this project but am back on it now. I think that is what the problem was. I was massively scaling up, enlarging, a low quality jpeg. At small scaling it came out fine but I saw that as I scaled it up more and more hash marks became apparent and then the space between the hashes got bigger and bigger. Will let you know how this works.

daniel coyle
11-07-2016, 12:41 AM
Keith, I used the image you sent and it worked pretty well. I tried to scale up its size a bit and started getting the hash mark effect again. The hashes separated by more space the bigger I scaled. So, can you tell me how you, first of all, made the image bigger in the first place (or did you find it somewhere?) and, second of all, is there something I can do with my machine settings to address the hashmarks when I can't find or create a large image with enough definition?

daniel coyle
11-19-2016, 8:47 PM
From memory there is a setting to produce dashed lines on the 708C, Im not near one of mine or I would check for you but have a dig round in the software
Dave, I am still struggling with getting dashed lines on my engravings (you can see a pic of it in this thread). I tried to find the setting you were alluding to but could not. Can you point me in the right direction?