PDA

View Full Version : Tom Clark Practical Shop Cabinets Book

Milan Kothari
08-24-2016, 5:07 PM
It appears the paypal link is not working. Does anyone know if Tom is still selling this book? Did anyone receive it recently? Any suggestions on how to order? Mail check to the address on site? Thanks.

Allan Dozier
08-24-2016, 8:05 PM
I mailed a check a few weeks ago and received the book in the mail. No problems.

Milan Kothari
08-26-2016, 4:57 PM
Thanks Allan.

Mike Manning
08-26-2016, 5:30 PM
Can someone who has purchased this book provide some details about it please? Are these all/mostly face frame cabinets? I'm thinking about purchasing it and don't want to end up feeling like it was wasted. Any feedback is appreciated.

Chris M Pyle
10-03-2016, 9:27 PM
I actually sent the money via paypal and haven't seen the book show up. I'll let you know my thoughts when/if it arrives.

Dave Cav
10-04-2016, 1:03 PM
Can someone who has purchased this book provide some details about it please? Are these all/mostly face frame cabinets? I'm thinking about purchasing it and don't want to end up feeling like it was wasted. Any feedback is appreciated.

The website is still up but he specifically says he no longer takes Paypal.
http://www.tomclarkbooks.com/Practical_Shop_Cabinets.html
I had a copy of the book for years and it is a good primer for someone without a lot of experience building drawers, cabinets and plywood boxes. I recently gave my copy away, but as I recall it's a mixture of face frame and frameless designs, with more of it tending to be frameless.

Chuck Pickering
12-20-2016, 12:32 PM
I know this is an old thread, but...
I e-mailed Tom to see if he's still selling the Cabinet book(found an e-mail address on one of the forums), and if he's fixed the issue with PayPal, and got a terse reply that order instructions were on the website.
I fumed for a few days and broke down and sent a Postal Money Order. Several days later, no status on the money order at USPS site, and an e-mail to Tom, to see if he received it, has gone unanswered.
I have searched the forums where he has posted, and no recent activity anywhere. Is he still on this side of the grass?

Chuck

Matt Day
12-20-2016, 1:40 PM
why is he making it hard to buy? That's a pretty major barrier to sales.
If he doesn't like the fee PayPal charges, I think most potential buyers would pay a few percent extra for the convenience.

william watts
12-20-2016, 4:28 PM
I ordered his book in late Oct. this year-2016, and followed the instructions on his website site. Sent a personnel check, and 3 sentence note requesting the book and mentioning the good comments on SMC. The book arrived 7-10 days latter. A little bs might help, if your inclined.

Bill

Ben Rivel
12-20-2016, 4:34 PM
why is he making it hard to buy? That's a pretty major barrier to sales.
If he doesn't like the fee PayPal charges, I think most potential buyers would pay a few percent extra for the convenience.Seriously, it always blows me away when people like this running small businesses selling products like eBooks, plans, drawings and other non-value goods complain about the 2.75% fee Paypal charges. I mean, are you kidding me?! Charge 3% more for your product if you didn't figure in enough margin to yield the profit you expected from selling a product that cost you nothing but your time and make it convenient for your customers because its only losing you business!

...end of rant.

Rick Moyer
12-20-2016, 5:06 PM
Seriously, it always blows me away when people think someone, anyone, must conform to THEIR wishes over everything else. If it's so hard to stick a check in the mail, maybe with a short note, then they apparently don't need the product so much. Jeez, folks, get over yourselves. The man developed a booklet after getting tons of questions and requests about his cabinet building procedures. He's not Amazon. I don't know him at all, but a few weeks ago I sent for the booklet, enclosed a note about being a member here, and a check made out according to his instructions. Got the booklet about a week later. I REALLY don't see the problem.

... end of rant

Chuck Pickering
12-20-2016, 6:11 PM
Give me a break! As I stated, e-mailed asking if the book was still available, and it took a week for him to respond.
No sign of any recent activity on this or any other forum he was on.
Lots of small business owners just disappear. Thought maybe he's having health problems or something. If not a health or other problem, maybe he's made so much money he doesn't have to respond to customers now... Don't know if you don't ask...
I was also going by others saying they had quick response... From what I've seen of his postings, he's friendly and supportive, not the impression my experience is giving me...
Not really a rant, but...

Chuck

Brian Glendenning
12-20-2016, 6:14 PM
I am a lost sale because there are few things I hate more than writing checks and putting them in the mail. (I am an actual lost sale, looked to buy it a while ago, and stopped when I realized what was needed). I would happily have paid a few percent more. Obviously he can run his business how he likes, but he's leaving money on the table.

Chuck Pickering
12-20-2016, 6:24 PM
My thoughts exactly, Brian. I am retired, on a couple of slim pensions and SS, so I don't have a lot of dosh to throw around. I'm very cautious about spending my meager funds. I hesitated to send a money order into the nether. Would have felt better if he had responded to my first e-mail a tad more friendly, and to my second e-mail that he had or had not received my order.
I'm not trying to infer I was conned, just looking for re-assurance that I'll get what I purchased.

Chuck

Ben Rivel
12-20-2016, 6:24 PM
Seriously, it always blows me away when people think someone, anyone, must conform to THEIR wishes over everything else. If it's so hard to stick a check in the mail, maybe with a short note, then they apparently don't need the product so much. Jeez, folks, get over yourselves. The man developed a booklet after getting tons of questions and requests about his cabinet building procedures. He's not Amazon. I don't know him at all, but a few weeks ago I sent for the booklet, enclosed a note about being a member here, and a check made out according to his instructions. Got the booklet about a week later. I REALLY don't see the problem.

... end of rant
I honestly didnt even know people still used checks... Everything I buy, store, online, etc, every bill I pay (and I have a lot) I have never needed to write a check. Dont think I even HAVE any? Between credit cards, automatic bank transfers, Bill Pay, I dont understand why anyone would want to use a less secure method of payment as well as rely on the postal service to get it there and pay an additional fee in the form of a portage stamp for all that "convenience". Heck I have had my Paypal account for almost 15 years now. I mean its not like its something new. And I bet more people use Paypal these days then write checks. So its hardly confirming to a small amount of peoples "wishes". Its just modern business.

Rick Moyer
12-20-2016, 6:31 PM
I just re-read my above post and it does come off a little harsh. I apologize for offending anyone; I had had a bad day entitlement-wise and was frustrated. Sorry.

Chuck, your comments were fine, assuming it has been several weeks since you mailed the money order. I still don't see why someone who wants his book though can't just follow his instructions. If he is losing business by not accepting PayPal, credit cards, foreign currency, etc. I think that's his prerogative. I seriously doubt he's trying purchase a yacht thru these booklet sales. That's all. As I said earlier, I followed his posted instructions and received the book about a week to ten days later. I don't know him, he doesn't know me. If there have been many problems then I could see negativity justified, but I'm not aware of any.
I'm going away now, won't offend anyone any further.

Ed McEowen
12-23-2016, 7:25 PM
I know we Americans are not used to acceding to a seller's wishes (and one who does it only his way), but, as someone who has benefited immensely from Tom Clark's very basic book, I suggest (if you are baffled by cabinet-making) you (the buyer) just break down and follow his purchase instructions. You'll be glad you did. If you are successfully making cabinets now, don't bother.

Tim Janssen
12-23-2016, 8:23 PM
I bought his book several years ago and made 3 cabinets for my shop. Here are some pictures.
Remember the book is about making simple shop cabinets not show pieces
I hope that photobucket link still works, haven't used that for a long time. That was a 12 drawer cabinet.
Cheers,

Tim

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p209/timwillift/Pic1443.jpg

(http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p209/timwillift/Pic1443.jpg)

Chuck Pickering
12-27-2016, 7:51 PM
Received the book today. Funny, the postal order went to the New Mexico address on the website, but the book was postmarked El Paso, Tx. 2 e-mails asking if order was received remain unanswered. guess he's not a social type. Have read the book, some good ideas. I will build and test them.

Chuck

Robert Hayward
01-18-2017, 8:09 PM
I wrote my check to Tom on 12/24 so the envelope most likely left my mailbox on 12/27. I received my book in todays mail. Three weeks, but at the holiday time of year. Maybe Tom was out and about in his motor home star gazing. Makes no difference to me, I got what I paid for and was not in any dire need to build a project when I mailed the check.

Mike Manning
01-18-2017, 8:34 PM
I purchased a copy over the holidays as well. Took about 3 weeks.

Chris M Pyle
02-15-2017, 12:13 PM
If anybody is willing to part with their book, I'll paypal the funds to them. I paypal'd funds to Tom and emailed him. He told me to request the money back since he doesn't accept paypal anymore. I couldn't request the money back due to how I sent it. The rest of my emails went unanswered so I'm not sending him anymore money. Anyone willing to sell their used instructional booklet, pm me and I'll send the money to you.

tim walker
02-15-2017, 5:20 PM
Are there actual plans or just techniques and suggested plans?

Mike Manning
02-15-2017, 5:44 PM
Are there actual plans or just techniques and suggested plans?

I'd say it's techniques. Although, in my mind for a novice woodworker, there's stuff missing even from the techniques. Tips & techniques and you'll likely have questions that aren't answered which will more than likely be minor details. However, I am glad I purchased it as it's made me feel like I can get started and I'll learn as I progress. That's my $0.02.

Matt Lau
02-17-2017, 11:21 PM
Do you know of a few good alternatives?

I want to build functional cabinetry for my dental office (rolling tool carts with power plugs), since most dental stuff is super expensive and poorly made.

Also, I need to make a drill press stand for my 200+ lb Walker Turner.

lowell holmes
02-17-2017, 11:25 PM
It appears the paypal link is not working. .

Does PayPal ever work these days. I'm pretty disgusted with them.

Matt Day
02-18-2017, 1:25 AM
I've never had a problem. (Knocks wood)

Earl McLain
02-18-2017, 7:27 AM
Matt--I've got a few cabinets coming up, and having watched Marc Sommerfeld's videos a few times I think i'll be using his techniques as a basis. I picked up a lightly used set of his cabinetmakers bits from a fellow recently so that will make it easier to buy higher grade ply. For a dental or medical office--do you have any restrictions on materials to be able to sanitize? My former dentist (retired) is a woodworker and he had a lot of stands and tables around the office that he'd built, but none for his equipment--it was all production stuff.
earl

Ben Rivel
02-18-2017, 9:57 AM
Does PayPal ever work these days. I'm pretty disgusted with them.

I've never had a problem. (Knocks wood)
Yea really, me neither. Had my account for over 15 years and use them daily. Always been great for me.