PDA

View Full Version : Power supply help

Len Laviolette
08-23-2016, 5:37 PM
Hi folks,

I have a 5 year old D Win 80 watt laser engraver. Suddenly there is no cut (burn?). The carriage follows the program as if it is cutting but there is no cutting beam coming from the lens. Could it be a power supply problem or possibly some other type of malfunction? Is there a help source for this problem. Is there a test that can be done? Is there a source of help for me in the San Diego area? D Win is pretty much useless here. His English was bad even when he was courting me for a sale. Now that I he is done with me he is beyond comprehension. Any possible help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Len Laviolette

Mark Sipes
08-23-2016, 6:39 PM
On the Dwin site there is a Matthew in service, have you made contact with him.

Do you have a multimeter/Ammeter.

Might just be the tube.

You stated there is no Cut (burn) is that in the vector mode only, does it work in raster mode.??

Kev Williams
08-23-2016, 6:51 PM
alternate theories; door interlock safety switch, if any? E-stop button accidentally pushed (been there done that with 2 different machines)? Another switch? - My machine has a 'laser' switch on the side, spent half a day once looking around before I noticed it was off!

Dave Sheldrake
08-23-2016, 8:53 PM
Kevs on the money, no fire but moving means it's an interlock most likely :)

Len Laviolette
08-24-2016, 1:21 AM
Thanks Mark, I know so little about this that I can't even answer your questions. I only use it in Vector mode lately. By no cut/burn I mean that there is no laser beam emitting from the lens even though the carriage is following the prescribed path. Are there any tests described anywhere that can help me troubleshoot the issue. I am willing to pay for help if I can find it. Thanks Mark.

Matt McCoy
08-24-2016, 9:46 AM
Is there a flow sensor?

Is there a test button on the power supply?

Does the PS have a fan? Is it still working?

Have you had to increase power and lower speed to cut through familiar material?

Len Laviolette
08-24-2016, 7:54 PM
Thank you for the help. I need to learn more about this.

alternate theories; door interlock safety switch, if any? E-stop button accidentally pushed (been there done that with 2 different machines)? Another switch? - My machine has a 'laser' switch on the side, spent half a day once looking around before I noticed it was off!

Len Laviolette
08-24-2016, 7:55 PM
Thanks so much. I will try to figure this out. These ideas help.

Dave Stevens-Vegas
08-25-2016, 12:39 AM
This clip will show you how to test the PSU as well as basic tube testing. The PSU test and and first two tube checks are easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz4ln4_vT3g I had an issue where I had movement but no beam and used this clip to troubleshoot the PSU. My issue was a blown surge thermistor on the PSU.

DO NOT try the resistance test on the tube (the third tube test) if you aren't familiar with this kind of test. It's mega high voltage and easy to get hurt, or worse if you aren't familiar.

Len Laviolette
08-25-2016, 12:45 AM
I must admit that I can't answer your questions. The power and speed ratio has not been an issue. The power has been pretty consistent. Most of my laser projects are pretty repetitious and I have not seen a decrease in performance other than the complete stop of the burn. I did not see anything that looks like a test button on the power supply.

Dave Stevens-Vegas
08-25-2016, 1:04 AM
If you can't get it going from the clip I posted you should get someone to help. A good way to do that is go to a local makerspace and ask if they have anyone either on staff or know of a member that can help. There is a large makerspace in the San Diego area called Maker Place. http://makerplace.com/ It's common at makerspaces for members and/or staff to be familiar with laser engraver/cutters as it's one of the most in demand machines in the shop.

Len Laviolette
08-25-2016, 1:10 AM
Thanks for this Dave. Very helpful. I will look at it. I will avoid the tube test thanks.

Len Laviolette
08-25-2016, 1:11 AM
Great idea. Thanks.

Len Laviolette
08-25-2016, 1:15 AM
Yes I did not know what an ammeter was. The built in ammeter shows no dial movement at all. I guess it means the power supply is dead. Thanks.

Dave Sheldrake
08-25-2016, 9:34 AM
Yes I did not know what an ammeter was. The built in ammeter shows no dial movement at all. I guess it means the power supply is dead. Thanks.

Nope, it just means the high voltage PSU isn't getting a trigger signal, that could be the PSU but given the mode of failure I'd say it's an interlock like a door switch or flow sensor. Most likely door switch as when they fail the machines runs but with no beam

Len Laviolette
08-25-2016, 10:11 AM
Wow, thanks Dave. This thing is getting out of my league in a hurry. Where are you located? I have a feeling this thing could become very unmanageable for me. I will try to continue with this. I appreciate your input a lot. Best regards. Len

Dave Sheldrake
08-25-2016, 12:37 PM
In in Wales in the UK Len :)

Door switches can be bypassed to test if that is the problem though so don't worry too much :)

Len Laviolette
08-25-2016, 12:47 PM
Thanks Dave. I will research "Door Switch". You have been a HUGE help. Best regards to you.
Len

Dave Stevens-Vegas
08-25-2016, 3:15 PM
The door switch can be a magnetic switch (though some are mechanical) located somewhere around the door to ensure it's closed when you run the machine. Many of them are on the left side, near the front of the machine as you face it. It could be somewhere else but it should be around the edge of the door. From an electronic standpoint it's easy to test for those with experience. Once you find the switch you can test it for continuity. The clip I posted shows how to test the psu and tube independent of the switch or controller board so if they work in that mode, you have something like a switch failure, controller failure or possibly a wiring issue. Not having any current output reading on your meter doesn't necessarily mean the PSU is dead.

At this point I think it would make more sense for you to start actively looking for someone local to assist. In addition to Makerplace there is a community at SDSU at the buildIt makerspace and FabLab in East Village. Between those someone should be able to get you on the right track.

Len Laviolette
08-25-2016, 4:23 PM
Dave, you have been very helpful here. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I now feel as though I might find a solution. (If not there is going to be a cheap laser on the market soon.) Thanks again.

Len

Len Laviolette
08-26-2016, 12:03 PM
342970342971I think I will get nowhere unless I try to replace the power supply. I have contacted Matthew Ma of D-Win 3 times without acknowledgment. I have been searching for the correct power supply for this unit. DWin 80 watt. 600 x900mm table. Here is a picture of it. This is a replacement that I bought from Matthew about 3 years ago. I know it is too soon to die considering I only use it for an hour or 2 per month. Anyhow, If anybody can identify the correct model number and or compatible replacement I would appreciate any help...

Scott Marquez
08-26-2016, 12:49 PM
Len,
There are a few things that will stop the laser from firing. The door switch and water flow sensor are the most common problems.
Suppliers will gladly sell you new power supplies, but until you get to the root of the problem you are just spending money on a guess. From my personal experience and information I have gathered here, power supplies and tubes normally fail slowly, not fast unless they go out with a bang or pop, literally.
You have been given free advice from some of the most knowledgable people on this board,,,,you may want to research it deeper if you don't understand it yet.
Scott

Len Laviolette
08-26-2016, 1:19 PM
Hi Scott, yes you are right. I am in the process of trying to figure out what to do. I have sent out feelers trying to get some professional help here on site. It is very difficult. If it continues much longer I am possibly going to dump the machine and go back to doing stuff by hand. Thanks for the input. I appreciate it Scott.
Len
www.lavioletteguitars.com

Len Laviolette
08-26-2016, 1:36 PM
Umm, umm, umm somebody forgot to turn on the cooling pump. I got everything turned on and ready then realized that somebody must have forgotten to turn on the water. I am should fire the knucklehead....works fine.....I hope I don't get too much response on this one.

Mark Sipes
08-26-2016, 2:18 PM
Just log this one up to in-experience... You have only had the machine 5 years... still a newbie.......but I would create a check list that starts with #1 Make sure machine is plugged in and ALL switches are turned on.

Just Laughin' with ya!

Kev Williams
08-26-2016, 2:44 PM
Hey- I'm a boat owner, and there's a lot more people who own boats than laser engravers--

and 90% of every boat owner has left the plug out at least once... :)

It happens, and you're in good company! Just glad it's up & runnin' again!
http://www.engraver1.com/gifs/party.gif

Len Laviolette
08-27-2016, 12:47 AM
Thanks. This is typical of me...

Matt McCoy
08-27-2016, 7:34 AM
Thanks. This is typical of me...

A good tip is to connect your laser and water pump to the same power strip or switched outlet.