PDA

View Full Version : finished weekend project early - mitre saw stand

Mike Schwing
06-15-2003, 10:26 AM
First, my old mitre saw stand. I hated that thing.

http://home.earthlink.net/~schwalden/mitre/mitreoldstand.JPG

Now, the new one...

http://home.earthlink.net/~schwalden/mitre/mitresaw2.JPG

The wings fold down for storage..

http://home.earthlink.net/~schwalden/mitre/mitresaw3.JPG

Table height is totally adjustable..

http://home.earthlink.net/~schwalden/mitre/mitresaw4.JPG

I made it using plans I found in a Popular Woodworking magazine. I used 3/4" luaun plywood throughout with birch edge banding that blends in just about perfectly. I haven't finished it yet but I sampled a piece and tung oil looks great on it, and it takes stained Watco very well.

Think I should have put bigger wheels on it though. I believe a smaller one is in the works for the mortiser. Was a nice project that should pay off for a long time.

Now, for a long bike ride..

Messages In This Thread

Jim Becker
06-15-2003, 11:55 AM
Veddy, veddy nice, Mike! That's a great design in that it provides good surface area for stock support, yet stores easy. I like the height adjustment system using the bolts, too. Nice job...and now you can use it today for your next project of the weekend, whatever that may be! :D

Ken Salisbury
06-15-2003, 12:04 PM
<p align="center"><font face="Comic Sans MS" color="#008000" size="5">&quot;Very Nice Job &quot;</font>

Shop is Waaay too clean though</p>

Mike Schwing
06-15-2003, 12:13 PM
HAHAHA! Vedy, vedy funny Ken. That is always the number one most frequent comment any time I post a picture that has some of my shop in it. It is always, 100% of the time, that clean, except in the middle of the day _maybe_.

Friday evening I was summoned away from the shop before I got to clean it for the night. Saturday morning I rose at 0500 and started cleaning it up before I started working in there for the day.

I can't turn off the lights at night without cleaning up either.

Fortunately, its the way I'm built. I say fortunately, because its the way Mrs. Schwing is built too, and the "shop" is in the basement, as are the washer and dryer.

Tony Sade
06-15-2003, 12:43 PM
Your post on Wood Central with pics of this stand has you listed as Jack Harrison. Here, you're Mike Schwing. You have an evil twin or what? ;>) Nice job on the stand. Tony

Steve Clardy
06-15-2003, 2:17 PM
Good looking shop cab. Yes, bigger castors usually work better. I have several cabs I wish I had put bigger ones on. Steve

Jay Albrandt
06-15-2003, 2:38 PM
Very nice job Mike! If you could, I would like the volume number to order a back issue for the plans. I must have one for myself!

Thank for sharing!

Jay

Mike Schwing
06-15-2003, 2:40 PM
Originally posted by Tony Sade
Your post on Wood Central with pics of this stand has you listed as Jack Harrison. Here, you're Mike Schwing. You have an evil twin or what? ;>) Nice job on the stand. Tony

That danged Jack guy has to copy everything I do!

A line from a song comes to mind...."I've changed my hair style so many times now, I don't know what I look like"

Tony Sade
06-15-2003, 4:02 PM
Originally posted by Jay Albrandt
Very nice job Mike! If you could, I would like the volume number to order a back issue for the plans. I must have one for myself!

The plan is available on-line, here:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/features/fea.asp?id=1021

Hope this doesn't violate any forum rules

Rusty Hughes, Indy
06-15-2003, 5:17 PM
I was looking at doing the same thing.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Anthony Yakonick
06-15-2003, 9:08 PM
Hey, I'm building the same stand too. I have the cabinet finished now and I'll work on the wings later.

Don Farr
06-16-2003, 7:52 AM
Great looking job Mike. Sorry I didn't see it earlier, but I have been out of town for a few days. Had to take SWMBO Somewhere special for our 37th anniversary.
:)

Byron Trantham
06-16-2003, 8:11 AM
Mike it looks great and very functional. I think the larger wheels are going to be a must. I had to change the ones I put on my router table after-the-fact and boy I didn't care too much for that job. I was gald I did it though. The table moves soooo much easier.

Enjoy your table.

Dan Bussiere
06-16-2003, 9:09 AM
Beautiful Stand! Mine looks worse than the before pic you posted.

Mike Schwing
06-16-2003, 10:48 AM
Thanks guys. Tip for any of you building this one -

If you don't like butt joints, DO NOT cut the 1/2" solid wood trim sections to length as specified in the cutting list. Either cut them as you go to fit or cut them a couple of inches longer so you can mitre the corners.

There is a lot of solid wood trim in the project and I sure think it looks nicer with mitred corners.

Bill Esposito
06-16-2003, 11:37 AM
Mike,

Looks great. And I bet it rolls great on that parkay floor :)

Randy Gleckler
06-16-2003, 11:43 AM
Mike,

Great job in the Stand. Looks very nice and functional.

Jim Becker
06-16-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Bill Esposito
And I bet it rolls great on that parkay floor

Boy, I bet that margarine makes for a slippery floor, especially when it gets sawdust on it! :D

Ron McNeil
06-16-2003, 12:07 PM
Mike,

Your old mitre stand is exactly what I'm using now. I thank you for completing and posting pictures of your new mitre stand. It looks great and is exactly what I want. I see Tony has put the web site to download the plans on one of his posts and thats what I'm going to do down load it right now.

There are many talented woodworkers that belong to Sawmill Creek thanks for posting and sharing your talents. It really is a big help to a beginning woodworker like myself.

Dan Stuewe
06-16-2003, 12:32 PM
I see that you used luaun plywood. I've only used 1/8" thick luaun for the back of a hanging tool storage rack. It seemed pretty light weight. How is it for something you need to be nice and sturdy? I loved the price of it realative to "nicer" ply, and I'd like to use it for my own shop furniture.

BTW, nice job. I was closely looking at these plans for my miter saw, but now I'm leaning more towards a more modular design.

Mike Schwing
06-16-2003, 1:08 PM
Originally posted by Dan Stuewe
I see that you used luaun plywood. I've only used 1/8" thick luaun for the back of a hanging tool storage rack. It seemed pretty light weight. How is it for something you need to be nice and sturdy? I loved the price of it realative to "nicer" ply, and I'd like to use it for my own shop furniture.

BTW, nice job. I was closely looking at these plans for my miter saw, but now I'm leaning more towards a more modular design.

Thanks. I used that luaun plywood as an experiment and I think it worked great. It sure felt plenty heavy carring it in the house. It was a bit undersized though, so I'd be wary of mixing and matching with other 3/4" plywood and I had to be extra careful with the dadoes to not get sloppy joints. I will use it again at every opportunity. It was strong and solid, and I put a coat of tung oil on it last night, post pictures, and it looks really nice, it has, for some reason I can't quite figure, a 60's look to it.

This was also the first time I've used iron on edge banding as opposed to solid wood edging - but it sure won't be the last!

Don Farr
06-17-2003, 7:52 AM
But what is luaun plywood? I just bought some baltic birch for a band-saw table that I am building but I don't remember seeing anything like that when I was shopping around.
And the spelling? It is spelled a couple of different ways in the post. Spell check don't like this spelling.:confused:

Dave Avery
06-17-2003, 8:51 AM
Very funny Mr. Becker......

Jim Becker
06-17-2003, 8:58 AM
Originally posted by Dave Avery
Very funny Mr. Becker......

Isn't the English language wonderful! ;)

Rob Overton
06-17-2003, 11:14 AM
Your stand looks great. Make me want to re-do mine. I've been wondering how I could add the wings to mine. Thanks, Rob:D

Dan Stuewe
06-17-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Don Farr
But what is luaun plywood? I just bought some baltic birch for a band-saw table that I am building but I don't remember seeing anything like that when I was shopping around.
And the spelling? It is spelled a couple of different ways in the post. Spell check don't like this spelling.:confused:

I'm not sure of the spelling either (luaun or lauan), but I found the stuff I used at Home Depot. I did a quick Google search and there were quite a few hits, but most of them were for projects using it - seems popular in the boat making world. Anyway, sorry I couldn't be of better help.

Jim Becker
06-17-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Dan Stuewe
I'm not sure of the spelling either (luaun or lauan), but I found the stuff I used at Home Depot.

Luan is "poor man's mahogany" as it has some similar characteristics in the look, although it's much softer and resilient. It's not listed in my reference guide as that only covers N. American species, but I believe it's from the Phillipines. There are a number of "import species" plywoods floating around in the home centers including luan, gutambo, and a few others. They are generally fine for utility work, but most are marginal for "fine cabinetry" due to the inconsistancy in the product and in some cases, being prone to splintering. (I used the gutambo ply for my miter station and had the "wounds" to prove it!)