PDA

View Full Version : The dangers of vertical lumber storage

Robin Frierson
08-23-2016, 1:01 PM
So been setting up a new shop this summer, my smallest yet. Yesterday made a big lumber run, the first one for this new shop and decided to use vertical lumber storage since I had 10ft ceilings. Just leaned the lumber against the wall. The necessitated me cutting down the 12 footers. So this were going nicely with my lumber stack, when BAM !!!, was knocked to the ground when a 9ft long 8/4 maple fell forward and hit me in the back of the head. Didnt see it coming. I cant ever recall getting hit that hard on my head. My first thought was I should have been wearing a hard hard, from early days of working construction. Anyway, gotta make sure I put a little more lean in with this vertical stacked lumber.

Anyway was able to stack 400 bd ft of lumber with a fairly small floor foot print...so for me its saving some space.

Adam Herman
08-23-2016, 1:07 PM
maybe a little chain around the stack is in order, similar to what the borg does on their 1x lumber. a good safety reminder.

Cody Colston
08-23-2016, 1:22 PM
There is a huge benefit to being hard-headed! :D Glad you are okay but yeah, you need some sort of restraint unless you want to risk having bowed lumber with a greater lean angle...not too likely with 8/4 or thicker if it's dry when stored.

Robin Frierson
08-23-2016, 3:29 PM
Yeah, some kind of restraint system is in order. I also worry about it falling to the side. I am thinking of something on the side like a long shelf bracket with a chain or rope across the front. Thing is that piece that hit my today had been sitting there awhile before it fell.

glenn bradley
08-23-2016, 3:54 PM
The tilted base of mine keeps things about 10" from the wall. The dividers ride on a surface that stand out about 4" or so out from the wall.

342848 . 342850

342851 . 342849

I determined the measurements by drawing a string from the highest point a board would touch the wall to the base at a point that assured a 4+ degree tilt. I made the base deep enough to allow two 10" wide boards to stand one in front of the other but, generally try to keep it single file for easier sorting. Prior to a large scale project it will fill up and then rapidly thin out as I break down parts.

HTH

Rich Riddle
08-23-2016, 6:22 PM
Build a bay for your vertical storage. Sorry about the headache.

Jim Laumann
08-24-2016, 1:15 PM
Note to self - get some sort of restraint built - before another knock on the head occurs....

Dirk Lewis
08-25-2016, 11:52 AM
I like that set-up Glenn, going to give that a go. Thanks!

Robin Frierson
08-25-2016, 5:04 PM
Yes, I like that set up too Glenn. Anybody else got photos of vertical storage arrangements.

John Lankers
08-25-2016, 5:26 PM
I'm sorry this happened to you but maybe it was a wake up call.
I really like Glenn's setup.