PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
08-22-2016, 12:25 AM
22 Aug 2016

Good Morning Everyone,
Well...I can honestly say that this has been the coolest and the wettest August that I can ever remember. Typically during this time of the year we are very hot and humid with a burn ban in full swing as well as having to water most outside plants nearly every day due to the lack of rain and blistering heat. Not this year. Cool temps, more than plenty of rainfall for taking care of all outside plants and way more than enough rain for all the water buckets I have in my shop catching water leaking from my roof.

I am gearing up for a lot of work to get done in my shop now that temps are cooling down and the days are getting shorter. The LOML and I are still working out at our local gym and are liking the benefits of the exercise and healthier eating choices. We feel better, can do more, and actually think more clearly. Love those benefits.

That's all for me for now, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Cody Colston
08-22-2016, 12:34 AM
Saturday was a birthday party for my 2 yr old granddaughter. There were thirty or forty people here and lots of kids. Most of them enjoyed the pool, it didn't rain (as forecast) and all had a good time. Today after cleaning up, I decided to make a keepsake box for a friend who had us over for dinner a while back. I still have to mortise for the hinges and then apply a finish but it turned out well.

I concur that it has been an unusual August with highs in the low-to-mid eighties and plenty of rain. We got 4 inches the past week and it was a good, soaking rain. It never came down hard but it was almost non-stop. Things are really greening up in East Texas.

Wayne Lomman
08-22-2016, 8:28 AM
I'm home in Tasmania until August 31. The wet weather has finally eased - the last 3 days have been in the -1 to 13 celsius range and sunny so I have made a start on the extension to the stock shed. The timber supply was running low so today I took the chainsaw into the bush and cut logs for the rafters. Only 6 were required but it took a bit of searching to find straight ones with similar tapers. The timber is Tasmanian Bluegum. Cheers

Charles Taylor
08-22-2016, 9:40 AM
Getting ready to install the roofing (translucent polyethylene panels) on my wife's new greenhouse, I milled some 4x4 western red cedar posts down into strips that will fasten the panels down. Discovered in the meantime that my bandsaw's upper tire had split, so I've got a replacement chore to tackle in the near future.

WRC makes my workshop smell mighty fine.

Mike Cutler
08-22-2016, 10:09 AM
Overhauled the brakes on the truck. The caliper pistons in the front were sticking, causing the brakes to overheat and fade. Still need to do a complete brake flush. Maybe next weekend.
Made a new moisture separator for the air compressor, that seems to be working well.
Started getting my shop cleaned up to start/finish some woodworking projects.
Good weekend.:D

Jim Becker
08-22-2016, 4:51 PM
Dennis, for us, it's been a very hot and wet August so far! We finally got some relief today with the front that moved through last night.

I was in the shop for awhile both Saturday and Sunday working on the hutch portion of my buffet/hutch project. The carcass is glued up and I started on the front trim late yesterday after returning home from a horse show my daughter was participating in. Heavy sucker...the horizontal pieces are nominal 3/4" BB and that makes for a bit of weight! It's a hair out of square, but nothing I'm going to worry about at this point. It's the correct dimensions to sit on the buffet and fasten down with the pre-determined connections. :D

Other wise, there was the usual lawn mowing and errands.

Garth Almgren
08-22-2016, 6:14 PM
It's been really hot here lately (upper 80s to lower 90s) but I still managed to get most of the wall sheathing done on my office shed (which my wife has dubbed "Orchard House") and started cutting the rafters.

Last night we had a beautiful sunset which I could see reflected in the mountains outside my window (which faces east towards the Cascades).

Trying to decide on siding right now, and I'm thinking that dutch lap (105 style) knotty cedar with a semi-transparent stain would look really good if I can find any available for a decent price locally.