PDA

View Full Version : Scored a DJ-20 this weekend

Dale Murray
08-21-2016, 11:51 PM
Not really going to brag about the price - I paid more than many I've seen - but this was owned by a former Ford Engineer. To me this implies it was meticulously maintained, and it was. Also came with a mobile base, all original documentation including sales receipt from 2005.

Came with the a Delta mobile base. I may modify it to have four double locking swivel casters.

The only issues:
- the blades are D. U. L. L. but irrelevant as I've already ordered a Shelix head for it.
- the belt tends to be pretty slappy. I am going to replace since the tension appears to be correct.
- tropical moisture this weekend caused table rust this weekend (air conditioned shop meets high Michigan humidity). Already cleaned up.
- had to replace the stock 6' cord with a 25' one.

Overall, I am really quite happy with the purchase.

Pretty happy overall

Rich Riddle
08-22-2016, 12:42 AM
No pictures......didn't happen. Congratulations.

Dale Murray
08-22-2016, 1:40 AM
I knew somebody would say that and I knew I could shoot a photo with my phone but, as a professional photographer I could not allow myself to shoot a crap cell phone photo in a horribly messy garage just to prove it.

Mike Bigfoot
08-22-2016, 1:45 AM
So exciting, cant wait to see images. Thats the jointer to have.

Dale Murray
08-22-2016, 10:43 AM
Ordered a Shelix cutter head last night and will pick up a new belt for it today.

(edit) I forgot to mention I ordered the cutter head from Grizzly and had a 10% coupon, paid $364.50 for it. I think thats a good price. I hope so.

I am conflicted, I need to check the tables for coplanar alignment and do not have a "precision" straight edge, and honestly, I really question just how "precise" a straight edge I may need.

In photography there are people we call measurebaters, they interrogate an image a 1:1 ratio on the screen looking for a single flaw then panic when they find one; "OMG! I have a spec on my sensor." I know those people exist in woodworking too. When does good machine setup and best practices end and anal nut job begin?

* I did watch the woodwhisperer jointer setup video, fyi.

David Kumm
08-22-2016, 11:10 AM
Generally a good quality 6' level ( aluminum extrusion ) is fine for checking tables. My DJ 20 dips a few thou right at the lips so I need to set the knives based off the cast part of the tables. They were off about .006-.008 at the far ends ( hump ) which isn't fatal but not nearly like my old jointers. The two feet on either side of the knives are the most critical. My DJ 20 is Taiwan and I would rate the cast iron and grinding as 6 out of 10. Dave

Ron Bontz
08-22-2016, 9:46 PM
Well, I have been wanting to replace the carbide knives on my DJ20, myself, for those figured woods I work with. Was/ is yours the Byrd head or the Grizzly brand of shelix? Thank you.

Dale Murray
08-22-2016, 11:34 PM
This is what I ordered: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Shelix-Cutterhead-8-G0490-/H8803

Andrew Hughes
08-23-2016, 12:05 AM
Have you checked if your tables are in plane with the head in it now.Hopefully they are.
Settng knives straight with the infeed table is a walk in the park.
Setting table's to the head and then each side will fill a saint with aggravation.
I think you should get a precision straight edge and forget the level.

Aj

David Kumm
08-23-2016, 12:27 AM
A 6-8' precision straight edge will cost more than the jointer. My compromise is a Pinske edge. Not very useful for setting a jointer but works to test another edge- either home made or an extruded level. I've found my levels are good enough that I don't mess with making a straightedge but a reference is handy. Dave

Dale Murray
08-24-2016, 8:21 AM
You will sometimes notice the strangest things in a tool manual.

This morning I was reviewing the manual for the DJ-20 and noticed the image on page 10 was reversed. When the pulley is away from the user the infeed table should be on the right, on page 10 fig5 of the manual the infeed table is to the left.

http://www.utpb.edu/docs/default-source/utpb-docs/artsci/art/delta-dj20-jointer-manual.pdf?sfvrsn=4