PDA

View Full Version : Boat Water Pump

Dave Lehnert
08-21-2016, 11:25 PM
I am going to replace a water pump in a 50hp Mercury. First time for me.
I would like to take apart and reassemble in same day so I don't forget where parts go.

What all parts will i need to get ahead of time? Do they sell a Kit?
I don't want to take apart only to discover I need O rings or ?????

Also I have what looks like a small piece of sea shell caught in the outlet of the pee hole. The outlet coming out the motor block. Because of the location I am unable to get a grip with a pair of needle nose pliers.
What kind of path does the water take inside the engine? when I replace the water pump, will I be able to blow it out backwards with an air compressor?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-21-2016, 11:29 PM
Dave...use your cell phone or another digital camera and take pictures step-by-step as you disassemble it.

Dave Lehnert
08-21-2016, 11:49 PM
Dave...use your cell phone or another digital camera and take pictures step-by-step as you disassemble it.

Good idea. Thanks!

Bill Orbine
08-22-2016, 1:50 AM
You should also try to obtain exploded view diagram and parts list for your study before attempting procedure. It is useful during the process, too! Google exploded view with your motor make & model #

Adam Herman
08-22-2016, 2:52 PM
you should be able to get a kit to rebuild the pump.

http://www.marineengine.com/ should have your diagrams.

Kev Williams
08-22-2016, 3:07 PM
Yup on the kit, and get a 'full' kit that has the housing and everything, ebasicpower.com has the whole kit for $36..

I could give you some pointers but you should be able to find a you-tube video that'll show you step by step, way better than my explanations! ;)

Not a tough job, about 45 minutes if you've done it a few times, couple of hours for a newbie :)

Dave Lehnert
08-22-2016, 10:52 PM
Yup on the kit, and get a 'full' kit that has the housing and everything, ebasicpower.com has the whole kit for $36..

I could give you some pointers but you should be able to find a you-tube video that'll show you step by step, way better than my explanations! ;)

Not a tough job, about 45 minutes if you've done it a few times, couple of hours for a newbie :)

Thanks for the link.

The only kit i can find for my engine is not the full kit.
http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/shop/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&keyword=821354a2&search_in_description=1&categories_id=&inc_subcat=1

OEM housing alone is $75 :eek:

do you happen to know of a complete kit?
1999 Mercury 50 HP ELPTO