PDA

View Full Version : I am off my rocker!! Huge hole in front yard to dump camper at home!!

Jeff Sudmeier
09-28-2005, 9:05 AM
Well everyone, LOML thinks that I have gone off of the deep end!
I hired a plumbing company to come out and dig up the front yard, find the sewer line going into the house and install a clean out!!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid188/p0b3df56d80c3c51a1ab8aeede8ac519e/f21b608c.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid188/pc4560a2bae58d72be77055aca5fd02ea/f21b6034.jpg

I did this because as some of you may know, my number one hobby is camping. My LOML and I own a 2005 Rocwood Roo 21SS hybrid travel trailer. It is our baby!! We sure do love it. We live in a decent sized 2 bedroom condo. It sure would be nice to be able to use the trailer as a guest room!! So I decided to have a clean out installed so that the guests could use the campers bathroom and sinks while staying with us.

The cost, should be right around $2k-3K after we pay to have the yard re-done.
So everyone, is it worth it to dump at home?!?! Am I nutz??? Too late now!!

Scott Loven
09-28-2005, 9:50 AM
You could have:
1. Invested the money and used the interest to put your guests up in a hotel.
2. Used the 3K to buy that big bandsaw that you are "borrowing".
3. Gone to a good woodworking school or two, or three.

john whittaker
09-28-2005, 10:04 AM
That's some BIG hole in your front yard....And deeeep. The "poo" must really be stacked deep in your part of the world. :p

Sorry...it was there so I just had to hit it. Enjoy your dumping station. RV Camping is a wonderful time and you meet so many great folks out on the road.

Jeff Sudmeier
09-28-2005, 10:19 AM
That's some BIG hole in your front yard....And deeeep. The "poo" must really be stacked deep in your part of the world. :p

Sorry...it was there so I just had to hit it. Enjoy your dumping station. RV Camping is a wonderful time and you meet so many great folks out on the road.
They had to go down about 18 feet to get to the line coming into our house. The Main for the town is deeper yet at about 25 feet!!

You said it right John, we simply love to camp. If I had to choose between my tools and my camper, I just don't know what I would pick. I am lucky enough to have two hobbies that I absolutely love!! I can camp in the summer and WW in the winter :) I probably value Camping slightly more than WW simply because of the closeness it brings to a family :)

Jeff Sudmeier
09-28-2005, 10:21 AM
You could have:
1. Invested the money and used the interest to put your guests up in a hotel.
2. Used the 3K to buy that big bandsaw that you are "borrowing".
3. Gone to a good woodworking school or two, or three.

1) There aren't any hotels near by :(
2) Hey that's a good point!! It would be nice to own the bandsaw outright, but I should be able to store it for at least the next year.
3) Now this is probably what I would really do if I didn't put in the outlet... Would be great to go to a great school for a week! I sure could use it...

Keith Foster
09-28-2005, 10:25 AM
Personally - I think your nuts! :p

However, we all have our passions (mine does not included "getting one with nature" - but to each his own). Besides tool collecting, one of mine includes German sports cars. Needless to say your passion is likely less expensive than mine. I think my dad may have said it best when he quoted my grandfather - "It doesn't matter how much money you make in a year, in the end you'll only have a $1.98 left." :cool:

Lee DeRaud
09-28-2005, 11:03 AM
They had to go down about 18 feet to get to the line coming into our house. The Main for the town is deeper yet at about 25 feet!!Taking that "frozen tundra" thing a bit seriously, are we?:eek:
I am lucky enough to have two hobbies that I absolutely love!! I can camp in the summer and WW in the winter :)Ok, you're not completely nuts: you could have done them the other way around.:cool:

Dan Mages
09-28-2005, 11:03 AM
Trailers aren't camping! Backpacking 6-10 miles from any given sign of civilization is camping! It's just you, nature, and freeze dried food... YUM!! ;)

Good luck with the project!!

Dan

Jim Hager
09-28-2005, 11:10 AM
I installed a cleanout in the sewerline going from my shop to the manhole to use as a cleanout for my 5th wheel camper. We could pull in the driveway and empty the tank flush out the system and never make a mess at all. I just happened to think of this as I was gluing up the joints and just reached for another cleanout tee and put it in. My helper protested that I was turning the cleanout the wrong way and I had to explain what this extra cleanout was for. He understood. The city don't know the difference or at least not yet.

Jeff Sudmeier
09-28-2005, 11:34 AM
Trailers aren't camping! Backpacking 6-10 miles from any given sign of civilization is camping! It's just you, nature, and freeze dried food... YUM!! ;)

Good luck with the project!!

Dan

Okay, I will agree with you there!! I still do backpack camp about once a year.... However, LOML doesn't think that is fun!! :) So if I want to "camp" with her, it will be in an RV.

John Miliunas
09-28-2005, 12:37 PM
Yeah, you're nuts!:eek: Ahhhhhh, but then I knew that before you had that big hole dug in your front yard!:D On my end, if I could afford to have digging like that done, it would be for fresh water and terlet in my shop!!!:) That's me, though. I know how much you enjoy your camping, so more power to you, my friend!:) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
09-28-2005, 1:08 PM
Okay, guys, the jokes off :) In all actuallity, this is a VERY long story of which this is the final saga.

See this post for the full explanation:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=224434

John Miliunas
09-28-2005, 1:23 PM
OK, that explains the digger. BUT, I still think you're nuts! (Bwaaaa,ha,ha, haaaaa!:D ):) (Glad it's taken care of!):) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
09-28-2005, 1:33 PM
OK, that explains the digger. BUT, I still think you're nuts! (Bwaaaa,ha,ha, haaaaa!:D ):) (Glad it's taken care of!):) :cool:

:) We both are ain't it grand!?!?!?!?

Vaughn McMillan
09-28-2005, 2:27 PM
Aw Jeff, here I was expecting to finally see the SUPER SECRET project...the new swimming pool in the front yard. Imagine my disappointment to learn you were only playing with the sewers again.

- Vaughn

Jeff Sudmeier
09-28-2005, 2:34 PM
:) Sorry, the SUPER SECRET projects have been delivered, however, the client has not yet approved the release of the photos :). However, two members here have had sneak peaks! :)