PDA

View Full Version : Establishing an offset distance in Laserworks

Roger Lueck
08-21-2016, 7:52 PM
Is there a function somewhere in Laserworks V6 where an "offset distance" can be set from the 0,0 position? Could this "offset distance" be used as a "perimeter margin" to eliminate the "Frame Slop, Work Paused" message that appears when the engraving head does not have the required distance to slow down/speed up at the edge of an engraving relative to the edge of the “engraving limits” of the machine?

Thank You,
Roger

Klaus Madsen
08-22-2016, 2:58 AM
Hi Roger
I am using RDWorks both they are pretty much the same.
In the right-hand side over the Layers, there are some tabs, one of them is called "Test" from there you can make your Offset.

Kev Williams
08-22-2016, 10:48 AM
What program if any do you do most of your graphics work in? As in Corel, AI, etc? Or do you work strictly in LW?

Roger Lueck
08-22-2016, 8:44 PM
What program if any do you do most of your graphics work in? As in Corel, AI, etc? Or do you work strictly in LW?

I primarily do my graphic work in CorelDraw.

Roger Lueck
08-22-2016, 9:11 PM
Klaus,

Thank you for your reply. I looked at the "offset" function within the "test" tab previously, but I wasn't sure if this was the setting for which I was searching. I assumed there would be an offset distance that could be set for each of the "x" and "y" axis.

I assume an "offset" that is set in the test tab would be for both the "x" and "y" axis, is that correct?

Is there a manual that clearly explains the function/purpose of each setting in Laserworks/RDworks?

Kev Williams
08-23-2016, 1:25 AM
Corel, good :)

You can do all of your 'margins' and offsets in Corel before exporting to your machine's software.

How I do this:

My machine has a 1300x900 work area. In Corel I have that size saved as one of my work area's. I also have preset guidelines that borders my work area. What I've done is drawn a box around the perimeter of the table so it's exactly 1300x900. I've colored the outline 30% black, and it's 24pt's thick so I can see it.

The reason for the border: If you've chosen the top-left corner as the 'home' position, then the machine's software places whatever you import to it, say a 3" x 3" plate, in the top-left corner. If that's not where you want it, then you have to move it, which is cumbersome at best with Chinese software. I'm thinking this is why you're looking for an offset function...

However, the border encompasses the entire table, so by default it has nowhere else it can go. And therefore, anything within the border that you're working on has no where else to go either! So if you want your 3x3 plate to be 2" from the top and 2" from the left, just put it there in Corel-- and that's exactly where it will be in your machine's software when you export it!

There IS one catch with this, which is you must turn off the 30% gray so it doesn't engrave. But a benefit of this is, you can type yourself notes in Corel, color them 30% gray, and export them with the job. This is handy for 2 reasons; notes are right there handy, and they remind you to turn off the gray! If your software works like mine, set your gray for 0% power the first time, and it should default at 0% every time you send a job, so if you forget (I still do occasionally), nothing will engrave! Probably wont anyway because it will be running right at the extreme edges...

This is screenshot of my table in Corel, note the border around the table, my 'notes' and the test plate's border, all are 30% gray.
The guidelines, and the plate are 2" from the top left corners..

This is how it imports into my engraving program,
the plate is right where I want it :) - the gray is still 'on'...

-and this is with the gray off- it's now all ignored by the machine- just send the black and engrave away--

I use 30% gray, ANY color will work. Also, the 2" margins are just what I use since I have a bunch of 2" wide aluminum bars I use as shims and spacers.
Any zero point you find that works for you on the actual table, make that your zero in Corel with guidelines, from there it's easy peasy... ;)

Hope this helps! :)

Klaus Madsen
08-25-2016, 8:32 PM
Some great advice and Ideas here, Thanks

Roger Lueck
08-31-2016, 10:42 AM
Corel, good :)

You can do all of your 'margins' and offsets in Corel before exporting to your machine's software.

How I do this:

My machine has a 1300x900 work area. In Corel I have that size saved as one of my work area's. I also have preset guidelines that borders my work area. What I've done is drawn a box around the perimeter of the table so it's exactly 1300x900. I've colored the outline 30% black, and it's 24pt's thick so I can see it.

The reason for the border: If you've chosen the top-left corner as the 'home' position, then the machine's software places whatever you import to it, say a 3" x 3" plate, in the top-left corner. If that's not where you want it, then you have to move it, which is cumbersome at best with Chinese software. I'm thinking this is why you're looking for an offset function...

However, the border encompasses the entire table, so by default it has nowhere else it can go. And therefore, anything within the border that you're working on has no where else to go either! So if you want your 3x3 plate to be 2" from the top and 2" from the left, just put it there in Corel-- and that's exactly where it will be in your machine's software when you export it!

There IS one catch with this, which is you must turn off the 30% gray so it doesn't engrave. But a benefit of this is, you can type yourself notes in Corel, color them 30% gray, and export them with the job. This is handy for 2 reasons; notes are right there handy, and they remind you to turn off the gray! If your software works like mine, set your gray for 0% power the first time, and it should default at 0% every time you send a job, so if you forget (I still do occasionally), nothing will engrave! Probably wont anyway because it will be running right at the extreme edges...

This is screenshot of my table in Corel, note the border around the table, my 'notes' and the test plate's border, all are 30% gray.
The guidelines, and the plate are 2" from the top left corners..

This is how it imports into my engraving program,
the plate is right where I want it :) - the gray is still 'on'...

-and this is with the gray off- it's now all ignored by the machine- just send the black and engrave away--

I use 30% gray, ANY color will work. Also, the 2" margins are just what I use since I have a bunch of 2" wide aluminum bars I use as shims and spacers.
Any zero point you find that works for you on the actual table, make that your zero in Corel with guidelines, from there it's easy peasy... ;)

Hope this helps! :)

Kev,

Thank you for the in depth and detailed explanation of how you establish an offset. I had been doing something similar, however, your explanation gave me some ideas for solutions to other situations I have encountered.

My desire to consistently set an offset was due to the "frame slop" message that would appear and the stoppage of engraving that would occur when part of an engraved area was to close to the edge of the engraving envelope to allow safe acceleration/deceleration of the engraving head on the X axis.

Thank You Again,
Roger

Kev Williams
08-31-2016, 1:34 PM
The slop issue is exactly why my left edge is always about 2-3/4" from the zero left. For what it's worth, I took a 24" piece of old Rowmark and placed it against the left edge of the machine that supports the gantry rails, and then cut it vertically at .75" from left. It's now my 'zero', and I always use 2" shims with it so my actual left zero is about 70mm in. Plenty to eliminate the slop error!

I used the machine's frame edge because it and the gantry are unit and can never move. The new 'zero' can never change and the left edge is always square to the gantry :)

Roger Lueck
09-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Kev & Klaus,

Thanks again for all the information and ideas.

Roger