PDA

View Full Version : New to the fourm

greg sproul
09-28-2005, 7:50 AM
Hello creekers, after reading this fourm for the last week, I decided to join due to all the helpful people and vast knowlage. I dont have a shop at the moment but hopfuly in a couple months that will change, It still hasn't stoped me from buying tools though!:D
Looking forward to learning from you all
thanks
Greg
oh I almost forgot my first question, I found a coupon for the ridgid 10" compound miter saw for $159.00plus tax do you guys have any opinons on this? thanks in advance.this is from the home depot supply catolog

Frank Pellow
09-28-2005, 8:03 AM
Welcome to Saw Mill Creek Greg.

My brother in law has that saw and he quite likes it. He does a lot of on-site work and is hard on tools and, from what I have seen, the saw has stood up well.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-28-2005, 10:07 AM
Welcome to the Creek Greg! Neat place to exchange information and get opinions. BTW we like photos! A gloat isn't an official gloat unless it's accompanied by a photo! :rolleyes: Again.....Welcome!

Jason Tuinstra
09-28-2005, 10:37 AM
Greg, welcome aboard. As you've discovered this is a great place with a lot of collective wisdom.

I don't have any experience with the Ridgid, I have a Hitatchi, but I wouldn't be too terribly concerned about it if you like it at that price. In this price range, they are all pretty close in quality and features.

Dan Forman
09-28-2005, 4:12 PM
Greg---Welcome to the creek, sounds like you a preparing to embark on a great adventure, have fun.

Dan

Michael Ballent
09-28-2005, 4:37 PM
Welcome aboard. :D We all love to spend each others money and we would love to help you in your decisions. I have a DeWalt 12" so I can't comment on the Rigid but the price seems right. All I can say is just to make sure that you get the best tool you can afford. Nothing is more expensive than replacing a tool that failed to meet your expectations or died at the wrong time. In the long run working wood will be more enjoyable if you are not fighting the tool. If you want to save a few bucks you should check out the refurbs tools that are out there. They are brought back to manufacturer's specs and each one is tested before leaving the factory and provide you an opportunity to save some cash :D

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-28-2005, 5:40 PM
Welcome Greg. This is a place to have fun, too. Just in case the others failed to mention it................................................ ......WE LOVE pictures ............................of just about anything. :p

Bruce ;)

John Bailey
09-28-2005, 5:57 PM
Welcome Greg,

As you already know, this site is the best, and they want pictures. So, go spend some money and get the digital out.

John

Don Baer
09-28-2005, 6:06 PM
WELCOME to the Creek. where the water's always just right.

By the way in case no one told you. We like pictures....:D

Vaughn McMillan
09-28-2005, 6:08 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Greg. I don't know anything about the Ridgid compound miter saw, but I have their TS 3650 table saw and I've been happy with it. I'll echo Michael's suggestion about checking out refurbished tools, too. I've had good success with the few tools I've bought that way.

- Vaughn

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2005, 6:34 PM
Welcome Greg. You will like it here. My brother has that Ridgid 10" and is a finish carpenter. He is pretty rough on it hauling it around. He likes it a lot. If the price is right go for it.

Bernie

lou sansone
09-28-2005, 9:35 PM
welcome to the creek.. folks are well mannered here

lou

Keith Burns
09-28-2005, 9:54 PM
Welcome....where are the pictures ??:D :D :D . You won't find a better bunch of guys anywhere.

Alan Turner
09-28-2005, 9:56 PM
Welcome to SMC.

Tim Sproul
09-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Aye! Another Scotsman!!??? of the Sproul clan at that!

:)