PDA

View Full Version : No Direction Home

Dan Forman
09-28-2005, 7:33 AM
Anyone out there watch the film on Bob Dylan "No Direction Home" which aired on PBS over the last two evenings? I found it simply spellbinding, having grown up in that era, and been profoundly influenced by him musically. Shure brought back a lot of memories, and gave a certain amount of insight into this enigmatic poet/musician.

Dan

Erin Raasch
09-28-2005, 9:10 AM
Anyone out there watch the film on Bob Dylan "No Direction Home" which aired on PBS over the last two evenings? I found it simply spellbinding, having grown up in that era, and been profoundly influenced by him musically. Shure brought back a lot of memories, and gave a certain amount of insight into this enigmatic poet/musician.

Dan

I found it absolutely fascinating - having been a Dylan fan for as long as I can remember, it was mesmerizing to see him as a young man during the earliest part of his career. Having been born in '55, I missed out on his earliest stuff, but fell in love with his music as a teen.

What really blew me away was how young he was when he wrote some of his most profound lyrics - I mean, you listen to "Hard Rain" and you can't help thinking, no way could this be written by a 20-year-old.

I will definitely be ordering the DVD - and very likely, the companion book as well!

Erin

john whittaker
09-28-2005, 9:32 AM
Been playing guitar & writing songs since I was 12 and Dylan was my first influence. Always enjoy going back to his "stuff". Thanks for the heads up because PBS will prolly run it again. I'll search for it.

(Hey Dan....if you need help storing any of the lumber you so graciously volunteered to take....)

John Shuk
09-28-2005, 8:49 PM
I missed it. I hope it replays. I'll set the TIVO to put it on my wish list.

Dan Forman
09-29-2005, 3:15 AM
The DVD is only $17.99 at Amazon.

Dan

Dan Forman
09-29-2005, 3:21 AM
The DVD is only $17.99 at Amazon.

Dan

PS: John W---I am continually astonished at the generosity of the members here, always offering to do whatever to lighten the load of anyone who is overburdened with equipment, wood, etc. I just couldn't sleep at night knowing that I had sluffed off my responsibility on some other gentle soul, however will meaning. But thanks for offering.

Dan

Vaughn McMillan
09-29-2005, 4:38 AM
I missed it. I hope it replays. I'll set the TIVO to put it on my wish list.
Took the words right out of my fingertips. I also grew up listening to and playing his music (back when it was pretty new), and I'd like to see a retrospective of his work.

- Vaughn

Bill Lewis
09-29-2005, 5:44 AM
I've got it set to record on the DVR. When I saw it in the programming guide I ran a search on it to record it in a re-broadcast. I can't remember when it was sheduled, but it hasn't shown up as being recorded yet (uless it was last night), so there may still be a chance to see it yet.

This sounds like it'll be another reason to get a DVD burner for the DVR. I'm getting more stuff I want to save, or give away than I have room for.

As for Dylan. Well I am just a youngster compaired to some of you guys (born in '60), but he was probably the first artist who's name I knew. In '66-69 the neighbor kid had some older brothers, one just back from 'Nam. They were the ones that were really in to it, early hippies really, but it bled down to us even at that young age. He really is an incredible songwriter. Probably the best we have ever had. I can't wait to see the program.