PDA

View Full Version : Large jaws using wedge sled

Bob Coates
08-20-2016, 2:04 PM
The plan was to make a set of jaws to flatten rings for glue up. but was not happy so have been using it to turn bottom of completed turnings.
Used a oneway chuck with flat jaws and attach different size segeasy made rings. First ring is made with wide materiel and the rest glued up on it. After overnight cure I was then able to figure out the closed size and open size for each ring and turn a recess into that ring to fit bowls in that diameter range. Note in use make sure tail stock is in place. I can turn the nub off without the tail stock in place. I have also made a longworth chuck, but like this better.

Ted Reischl
08-22-2016, 11:30 AM
I have thought of doing something similar, but other things have been keeping me away from the lathe.

If you have the time, could you take a pic that shows some perspective?

I like the idea!

Bob Coates
08-22-2016, 7:12 PM
Ted,
Here are some more pictures. I went for the quick concept and just added the rings to the Lumber core plywood attached to the flat jaws--NOT RECOMMENDED. They are a little scary to use so keep the tail stock in place. You need to calculate the diameters based on the open diameter and the closed diameter for each wood jaw. Start with largest first. Turning the rings MUST be done with the jaws closed.

Ted Reischl
08-23-2016, 12:26 PM
Thanks! That was quick!

What I am thinking of doing is about the same, only I may orient the grain so that it points out from the center of the lathe.

I have a cnc machine so I can build these pretty easily.