PDA

View Full Version : Well, since that $1 walnut....

steven c newman
08-20-2016, 1:43 PM
Has been discovered to be Cherry, might as well start a new story line?

Have cross cut and jointed a few pieces..
And trimmed the end grain to match each other..
And laid out the finger spacing, with a high tech tool..
Carried the lines around, dug out a backsaw and a wax candle
Wax helps the saw glide along. Grabbed the chisels to do a bit of chopping, until the two sides are done...
Then lay out the fingers on the end pieces. Twas getting close to lunch, so only one end was chopped..
And a test fit, will need a bit of fine tuning. Maybe after Lunch I can sneak back down ..
through this door to the shop....."Abandon all hope, ye who enters through this door"

Stay tuned, it might get complicated....:eek:

steven c newman
08-20-2016, 9:01 PM
Before all the bad storms rolled through here,and suppertime...managed to get a wee bit more done.
Corner #3, and #4 soon followed. Did a dry fit, with clamps
Then glued up a panel for the top
And set it aside til tomorrow. Set up the Stanley #45....
And did a test drive..
and even built a jig to hold the box sides in place, while I cut a groove or two..
Add a wedge at the other end. Test fitted with a cut-off from one of the ends..
So, maybe tomorrow, after the creek no longer runs through the shop, I might get a bit more done?

Sorry, didn't get the tornado tonight, just a LOT of warnings...

Thomas Schneider
08-20-2016, 11:47 PM
Looks like fun bandit! I haven't tried hand cut finger joints yet, maybe I need to make a box for something?

steven c newman
08-21-2016, 12:45 AM
That box the Stanley 45 is in? Is the one I made for it, as the OEM one was broken by the USPS on it's way south. Haven't decided what will go into the newest box...yet

steven c newman
08-21-2016, 9:14 PM
Got the Stanley #45 set up, and grooves have been ploughed...
The grooves even lined up..
Yes, I ploughed straight through, but, by cutting halfway though the pins
Which means that now I need to glue up a pine floor for this, first I neede to joint two edges for a glue joint..
Then some glue and clamps..
and set this aside until tomorrow. I also resawed some leftovers, crosscut to lengths to make a lid. They were quite a bit....rough
And ugly, too. I decided to atleast get them all the same width. I jointed one edge, from that edge, I marked a line 1-1/2" over, then sawed off the stuff not needed. Some of the thicker spots were also sawn out. I got close, but need to scrub things up a bit. Used a cambered Stanley#5c Jack for most of it..
Then a #4 to smooth things out
Maybe tomorrow, I can chop some finger joints and make a lid? Will need to size the bottom and top panels, as well. Maybe by wednesday......I migh be doing another glue up?

steven c newman
08-21-2016, 9:25 PM
BTW: I have been bragging about that H-F scrub plane? Gave it a go on the worst of the lid parts..
There is no messing around with this little plane. I set the parts in the vise, so that just over a hair beyond 1/2" is below the surface of the jaws. I wound up doing both faces, as the non sawed face was still a bit rough
This also shows how I marked the line. Set the combo for 1-1/2". I also left the line when I sawed of the waste. The plane used to joint that good edge?
Used the Millers Falls #11 Junior jack. A little smaller than the #14, and lighter.
Lid parts set out..
Was a very busy day, I was a bit shakey towards the end. I did make a mess on the floor...again.
For some reason, the shop smells like a Cherry pie....

steven c newman
08-22-2016, 1:45 PM
Too nice a day outside, to be cooped up in a basement woodshop.......maybe later I MIGHT take a look down there....

steven c newman
08-22-2016, 6:08 PM
Been using a lot of different hand planes on the little box build. From the Jack planes and scrub planes, and even a vintage smoother or two. Even drug out the Stanley #45 for a little work. Even used a low angle.......block plane!

Maybe later today, I might wander back down to the shop, and hopefully the floor has dried out a bit
This was yesterday, after all the rain came through....hoping the shavings and such will soak this mess up.

Hmmm, which plane should I use to flatten out them glued up panels.......the #5-1/2? The No. 14 by Millers Falls? Maybe use that cambered N0.5c again?

steven c newman
08-23-2016, 2:32 PM
Well, I WAS going to clear a path to my mitre saw...
Oh, it is back there, by the wall. Decided it was too much to move stuff around, just for three small cuts
Soo, how about the GEM?
First off, that saw was way too big. Secondly, the guides were too wide
Loosen that screw, clamp the guides tight to the saw's plate, and clamp a board in place ( much easier not having to hold and saw, at the same time)
Got all the cuts done, and checked with a square..
Not too bad? I removed the screws hold the mitre box to the bench, and folded the mitre box up..
Ready to stow away in a tool box. Needed to clear the bench top. The clamp came from a glue up that is about ready for some more work.
Might even involve this...
Amongst other planes. Stay tuned...

steven c newman
08-23-2016, 2:52 PM
Ok, part two of today's messing around. I got the Pine panel out of the clamps. I trimmed it for square, and for width. It needed some work on the faces, and the one sawn edge. Laid it on the bench top, and clamped it in place..
Finally got that one rough spot planed smooth, flipped the board over.....that wave effect again. Well
I figured a Junior Jack could handle that. Got it flat, brought that #4 back over and smoothed it out....which left that sawn edge to do, no problem..
Well, the #4 was sitting there, might as well use it. Ok, got the #45 out, and started to set up for a match cutting..
Well this is a new 1/4" match cutter....and it does NOT fit my plane. Both of the 1/4" cutters were too wide to use, as the pine panel wasn't wide enough. I got out and set up the 3/16" match cutter, and things seemed to do a bit better
Except that a #45 does NOT like it when there is a knot in the way..
Ya think? Well, at least this will get buried..
Knot? What knot? Tried the panel in all four sides...
Needs a bit of fine tuning. I packed away the #45 for now. If and when the Laundry gets done, I will be "allowed" to make more messes down in the dungeon shop...

Then maybe some work on the lid? Stay tuned..

steven c newman
08-23-2016, 8:36 PM
Well. I needed to straighten the end grain on the panel...might as well grab a plane and do it

Square to assist in finding high and low spots. Plane is a Millers Falls made for Craftsman #3 ( their No.8 size)
Looks good from here. Trimmed a few places on the box's other parts, for a better fit. Might as well get the clamps and glue bottle out..
Almost had enough clamps. The right side seems to have a curve to it. Diagonals match, but the curve made check with a square a bit rough.

Sometime tomorrow, when that forest of clamps leaves, I set about planing all four sides, and working on the corners.
Also have a panel for the Frame & Panel lid to start on....
Maybe a Shaker style edge? Or something else? Whatever goes with finger joints, I guess.

Hasn't been any real plan to this, just working with what I had on hand.

Not sure what I'll be using it for, yet. Any ideas out there?

steven c newman
08-24-2016, 1:47 PM
Well, box is out of the clamps today.....started to plane the sides....found out the plane needed a sharpening.....nice to have a few spare planes handy. Grabbed another, and got three out of four sides planes smooth. Then Lunch happened. Maybe later I can take the camera along to the shop? Need to get started on the lid....next.

Anyone following along with this little project?

Todd Zucker
08-24-2016, 6:52 PM
Well, box is out of the clamps today.....started to plane the sides....found out the plane needed a sharpening.....nice to have a few spare planes handy. Grabbed another, and got three out of four sides planes smooth. Then Lunch happened. Maybe later I can take the camera along to the shop? Need to get started on the lid....next.

Anyone following along with this little project?

Yes. Fascinating to me as I have not figured out the hand plane thing yet, but am getting motivated to learn. Keep the photos coming, and thanks for sharing.

steven c newman
08-24-2016, 8:01 PM
Ok, you asked for it. The box needed a bit of cleaning up when it was released from the clamps...
All four sides looked about like this....well, since the Craftsman #3 was down for a sharpening, drug out the Stanley #4..
I did all four sides like this. It was easier than trying to hold the box between dogs. Needed a little details work around the pins.
The gaps were filled with a bead of glue. Since the bandsaw was covered in a fine Cherry sawdust, I spread a handful of it on top of the glue, and kind of mushed it around. Palm samder to blend the two together, then a plane for clean up..
Plane is a Stanley low angle No. 60-1/2. Starting to look a bit better?
Used the same plane a few more times.
I did clamp the box between dogs, and worked the top edges a bit. One end was a hair higher than the rest...WAS. Took care of that.
Box was set aside for now. One other glue up needed worked on..
This will at one point, become the lid's panel. I could have fought it flat with a few planes, but..
A new 80 grit belt works a bit faster. I wanted both faces flat, and the same thickness all the way through. Beltsander got me close, but the #4 came along and cleaned things up..
When I get this to it's final size, and into the lid's frame, I can come back and plane it glass smooth. Needed to work on the frame's part, still had some waviness issues. Faces need to be planed flat, not angled, or have a dip or two in it's length. Involved two screws, one into the bench's top, the other into the vise's jaw. Then I could tighten the vise to hold these thin boards while I planed away on them. Screws barely stuck up out of the surfaces, just enough to dig into the end grain.
Grabbed a jack plane
Millers Falls No.14. The square was set up to check the thickness. I was making sure that each part was as close to 1/2" thick all the way through.
I also could stand the parts on edge, and joint the edge straight..
More in the next spot...too many photos in this one

steven c newman
08-24-2016, 8:12 PM
Ok, jointing the edges..
Might be able to see the screws here? I kept checking to see how close to the same width these were..
I think I got them pretty close? As for using that block plane? One end of the lid's panel was a bit wavy..
The panel will still need to be sawn for width, and length. I wasn't too worried about the far end blowing out a bit, as that side will get about 3/4" cut off for final width. I wanted one straight end, to reference the other end off of, when I cut for length.
Whew, about done for one day. laid out some toys for the next trip to the shop..
Have some finger joints to do. Still deciding on how to attach the panel to the frame.....T&G or a Rebate? Stay tuned....maybe the cussing will subside a bit...

steven c newman
08-25-2016, 8:50 PM
Today was a case of two steps forward, one step back and three steps to the side......yep that kind of a day.

Bench has been getting beat up this year. Needed something for the chisels to bounce off of instead of the bench's top
Good old pine will do. Had to get out the slimmer chisel..
These fingers were a bit smaller than the 1/4" chisel could do. Got going fairly good (always a bad sign ...) got both long sides and one end all fingered up..
Then,...internet goes out, along with the land line phones.....Took a trip to the store, new phone line ( sofa had broken the old one) and a longer CAT5 line......all back together? No issues with the "Net". Snuck back down to the shop..

To find more "issues"
This was taken AFTER I trimmed the end piece down..too. I had to go back, mark how much to cut off. I didn't need to recut much in the way of fingers
Trimmed the fingers to match the new length, and sawed new areas. A few whacks with the chisel, to trim things back. Got the other end trimmed to the right length..BEFORE any fingers were done. Once the parts were all trimmed, fingered and cussed at...A bit of a test fit ( with MY fingers crossed..)
A wee bit better? Which leaves sizing a slab of Cherry to fit..
Hmm, normal luck, today. Well, need to dig out the Stanley #45, and a plough cutter. Maybe I can find my Stanley/Wards #78? I can plough a groove around the inside of the frame, and a rebate around the top of the panel. Shaker style?
The way my day has gone......I think I'll wait until another day. No rush, right?

steven c newman
08-26-2016, 3:56 AM
All those posts about Mortise Chisels......maybe I should round mine up and take a picture or two? Just a thought..

steven c newman
08-26-2016, 1:43 PM
Here ya go...
Hodge-Podge Central. Even one with the "British Zone, Germany" Those Brass ferrels?

Seems a few Buck Brothers ( NOT the Home Despot kind) and a few Butchers have snuck into the shop
rarely more than a dollar a piece.

OK, rig up a jig to do a bit ploughing along..
Just some scraps. Plywood stop is nailed in place, square to the edge. Keeper along the back is square to the stop. Spaced things out so there is a bit of overhang on the edge of the bench. I then slide a part in, planting that screw in between two of the fingers of the part
Screw is set right now for the two shorter end pieces. May have to adjust, to make sure ( this time) that the part goes in the correct way. I need the groove to be at the TOP of each part. Then I can move the screw back, to hold the longer sides.

The joys of planing thin parts...

steven c newman
08-27-2016, 8:56 PM
GrandBRATS are here. I have to "Babysit " the pup.....short, and cheap Rust Hunt this morning.....haven't even gone near the doorway to the shop......might be getting "withdrawal pains"?

Might after the BRATS have gone back home, I can get back to the shop? Need those Thunderstorms to stop coming around here, tired of a wet floor...

steven c newman
08-27-2016, 11:55 PM
Chased the GrandBRATS off to bed.....snuck down to the shop for a little bit. One end piece was still in the jig, so I got out the #45 and set it up with a #11 cutter. Didn't need the sliding stock. Set depth to about 1/2 way into the sides. And ran a test ...
Set up, and..
We have curlies! This is FUN, for a change! Might as well try again?
Alright, two for two! The long sides were almost too long for the jig....
Had to keep checking, to make sure the groove was going where it was supposed to go...on the inside face, and at the TOP of the piece. Took a few tries, but got all four done. Used them to mark how much to trim the panel to...

So the next time in the shop, I can cut and square the panel to size. Then a little handplane work to raise a panel.

Getting close, now....another week, I might have a finish on it...maybe?

steven c newman
08-28-2016, 10:33 AM
Camera issues? It is what it is. Only have the one camera in the house, not the fanciest one around. Now, IF someone would donate a camers that work the way THEY want it to...fine. I'm busy working on shop projects rather than operating a Photo Studio.

Plan today is to sneak down to the shop, and try to finish building this lid. Then try to dig up some hinges for it. Too hot outside for me, been down from heat a few times in the past. "Cut-off" temp seems to be anytime it gets above 80 degrees outside.

May be back later today with a few more "terrible pictures".......camera in use...Polaroid iS426......is what it is.

steven c newman
08-28-2016, 7:19 PM
Results from this morning
test fit...needed to re-size the panel a bit...
May not be Photo Studio stuff, but, I 'm happy with the wood working side of things.