PDA

View Full Version : Laguna vs grizzly bandsaw opportunity

Pat Pollin
08-19-2016, 9:06 PM
have a shot at a Laguna LT16
I have seen many of the negative reviews about laguna overall
I could use a bandsaw with higher resaw capacity for resawing woods for my guitar building
Currently have a 70s Rockwell 14" - fine for profile cutting but quite wasteful when I attempt resawing

I don't have the budget to buy a really nice tool around the $1500 range, $500 would probably be my absolute max for the time being. Another option would be to hold out until budget improves and I can afford something better .

Two current options

older Laguna LT16 $450 "italian model" - certainly seems to be lacking all of the modern amenities by the looks of the photo vs current models
Grizzly G0513X $875

The griz price doesn't seem fabulous for the saw costing about $1100 new
Laguna price seems maybe gloat worthy if nothing is wrong with it

Should I race to the Laguna and see if it checks out?

Marc Burt
08-19-2016, 10:12 PM
$450 for a 16" band saw around these parts...that sucker would already be in my shop and you'd be asking me to tell you the story of how I scored it again.

I wouldn't pay that for the used 17" grizzly. Too much money. I have grizzly equipment, including their 19" bandsaw, so i'm not a grizzly basher. But that's just not a very good price IMO.

Pat Pollin
08-19-2016, 10:27 PM
that is my thinking too thanks Marc

Bill Adamsen
08-19-2016, 10:38 PM
if 3-phase doesn't deter you, there is (was?) a large (900SR) Meber not far away in Southwest Mass.

Mike Kees
08-20-2016, 11:45 PM
I have been looking at bandsaws a lot lately, pretty sure that the laguna you are looking at is built by Meber. The little slope at the top on the back edge of the saw is a meber thing. Anyways for that price I would run not walk... Buy that baby.

Frederick Skelly
08-21-2016, 8:01 AM
Unless it's a long way away, it seems foolish not to go look over that Laguna. :D

Erik Loza
08-21-2016, 8:42 AM
I have been looking at bandsaws a lot lately, pretty sure that the laguna you are looking at is built by Meber...

Yes, it is a Meber. Good saw, well built. It appears to be missing the fence but there are aftermarket options available there. Assuming there is nothing mechanically wrong with it, $450 is a good deal.

Erik

Curt Harms
08-21-2016, 9:19 AM
Yup, high for the Griz. The 0513X has cast iron wheels but still.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0513?utm_campaign=zPage

The Laguna on the other hand -- For $450, you could add some amenities if you feel they're worth the $ after purchasing and using to see what's really necessary.

Pat Pollin
08-21-2016, 11:57 AM
thanks for the encouragement.
Called the owner and bought it sight unseen as I couldn't make the trip til later in the day. Super nice guy held it for me til end of day when I got there , apparently holding off numerous phone calls in the meantime.
tool gloat thread coming soon

Same seller has listed a (blue) Jet 3 hp cabinet saw with Xacta fence and Incra setup for $1000
but I don't need a table saw upgrade quite as badly as I needed the BS. $1000 for a cabinet saw is not quite as hot a deal as the bandsaw was I am guessing.

Rich Riddle
08-21-2016, 3:53 PM
You made a wise decision, congratulations.