PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Singers/Bands

Rich Riddle
08-19-2016, 8:33 PM
Many of you won't know who I like, his name was Jim Ed Brown. Johnny Cash was also good. I feel old when listening to their old songs. How about you young ones?

Peter Kelly
08-19-2016, 9:22 PM
https://youtu.be/n8CzFVm1Yio

Johnny Cash covering Nick Cave & Bad Seeds.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-19-2016, 10:06 PM
If I could only hear one let it be the Beatles.

More than that, throw in some Motown, the Doobie Brothers, Rare Earth, CCR, Chicago, Beach Boys, .....the list could go on.

Sam Force
08-19-2016, 10:20 PM
Listen to a lot of Dylan, Young, Stones, but listen more to Joe Bonamassa

Rich Riddle
08-19-2016, 10:41 PM
I guess deep voices are easier for my old ears. Some of these new voices border on being able to shatter windows.

Paul Wolf
08-19-2016, 11:22 PM
Ken, Credence Clearwater Revisited (aka Credence Clearwater Revival sans John Fogerty) is playing a free concert in my town this Sunday evening. I can't say I was a huge CCR fan, but am looking forward to hearing some good music none the less.

Mike Null
08-19-2016, 11:41 PM
I go back a long way but for my money Nat King Cole was the best of all male singers. But I have a lot of favorites. One thing I was consistent about, I never caught on early. It was a couple of years before I caught up with the Beatles and many of the others.

Patrick McCarthy
08-19-2016, 11:43 PM
Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits - anytime, any day, 24/7

Allison Krause and Union Station

the late Eva Cassidy

Bruce Page
08-19-2016, 11:59 PM
I'm not a big fan of the oldies - I grew up with them so most bore me now. I have hundreds of CD's including the complete Beatles catalog, I just don't listen to them much anymore. My tastes are always changing.

Going through my library, a few of my favorites are:

Alison Krauss
Bill Medley
Dave Matthews Band
Diana Krall
Diane Birch
Ed Sheeran
Edsilia Rombley
Gavin DeGraw
Grace Potter
Jeffrey Foucault
Josh Kelley
Joss Stone
Keb' Mo'
Rodrigo Y Gabriela
Sara Bareilles
Susan Tedeschi
Tab Benoit
Tyrone Wells

Prashun Patel
08-20-2016, 1:22 AM
I can't pick one. Been listening to a lot of Bowie this year.

Sadly(?) podcasts have replaced a lot of my music and book time.

Jerry Thompson
08-20-2016, 7:25 AM
ZZ Top, Stevie Ray Vaughn, John Lee Hooker, CCR, Janis Joplin, Ray Charles, Willie Nelson, Buddy Guy.

Charles Wiggins
08-20-2016, 7:32 AM
My dad, Bobby Joe Wiggins, who is no longer with us
Mac Powell of Third Day
Randy Phillips, Shawn Craig, and Dan Dean of Phillips, Craig, and Dean
Chris Daughtry of Daughtry
Bebo Norman

I could spend the rest of the day adding folks, but those are my top go-tos right now.

Wayne Lomman
08-20-2016, 8:06 AM
In no particular order, Cold Chisel, Jimmy Barnes, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, David Bowie, Icebound to pick some highlights. As I already commented in the tribute to the battle of Long Tan, Cold Chisel are Australian to the core. Jimmy Barnes singing Working Class Man is unsurpassed in a totally different way to Led Zep's stairway to heaven, Floyds wish you were here, Eagles seven bridges road, Bowie's China Girl, or Stevie singing lead in Rhiannon. Also, I nearly forgot, Knoppfler's guitar and Freddie singing Bohemian Rhapsody. Cheers

Stan Calow
08-20-2016, 10:42 AM
Van Morrison.

Barry McFadden
08-20-2016, 11:28 AM
I'm stuck in a time warp....love listening to and watching old videos of groups like The Drifters, The Box Tops, The Cascades, The Chi-Lites, The Chordettes, The Coasters, The Crests, The Shangri-Las, The Platters...etc...(love those leisure suits and hair doos).....

Jerome Stanek
08-20-2016, 11:40 AM
Phil Oches
Bob Dylan
Weird Al
Simon and Garfunkle
Arlo Guthrie
CCR
Janice Joplin
Paula Abul

and more

Mike Null
08-20-2016, 11:58 AM
Bruce

The only one on your list I recognize is the Dave Matthews band. I never heard of the others. One of us just ain't with it.

I should note that one of my favorites, Pete Fountain, just passed. May he rest in peace. The Mills Brothers were special and were from a little town not far from where I grew up. I like Patsy Cline, Willy, The Carpenters, and a lot of the stuff from the 50', 60's and 70's. I have Glenn Miller on a flash drive in my car.

Rich Riddle
08-20-2016, 12:14 PM
Bruce,

My guess is that the people who "are with it" might laugh at many of our choices. I haven't seen too many modern bands/singers mentioned. I am also one caught in a time warp. Not much new stuff on the radio interests me. As a matter of fact, most of the time the satellite radio in the truck is on the sixties or seventies channels.

Bruce Page
08-20-2016, 12:24 PM
Mike, Rich, the beauty of online music services like Pandora is being exposed to new artists, I listen to it all the time while working in the shop. Whenever I hear something I really like I'll write it down and buy it. It's been years since I've listened to over the air radio.

Mike Null
08-20-2016, 12:42 PM
I like Pandora as well but I rarely have any sound in my office. I have Delbert McClinton (that's what I call "mood" music) on my Pandora along with a few others.

The only time my car radio is on is if I can find a football game I'm interested in.

Greg R Bradley
08-20-2016, 1:14 PM
Bruce

The only one on your list I recognize is the Dave Matthews band. I never heard of the others. One of us just ain't with it.

I think its you since Bruce has Alison Krauss, Bill Medley, Diana Krall, Diane Birch, Grace Potter, and Susan Tedeschi on his list.

Art Mann
08-20-2016, 4:16 PM
It is remarkable that so many members have the same tastes in music that I do. We must all be hippy refugees.

On the other hand, I think Tommy Emmanuel is the best acoustic guitar picker on earth. His Youtube videos are just extraordinary.

Bruce Page
08-20-2016, 4:27 PM
It is remarkable that so many members have the same tastes in music that I do. We must all be hippy refugees.

On the other hand, I think Tommy Emmanuel is the best acoustic guitar picker on earth. His Youtube videos are just extraordinary.
I saw Tommy live here at the Kiva Auditorium a few years ago. He is truly a gifted artist. I have a double CD of his that's half acoustic and half electric. An excellent CD.

Mike Null
08-20-2016, 5:18 PM
May years ago Les Paul and Mary Ford would come to a supper club in Dayton, Ohio for a 3 day gig. Paul was a just plain Bill kind of guy and a couple of times I had a drink and conversation with him during his breaks. We were not previously acquainted.

ken masoumi
08-20-2016, 9:08 PM
Does any body like Cher? lol or is willing to admit it?
JK.

Barry McFadden
08-20-2016, 9:16 PM
JK.

Great "If I Could Turn Back Time" video!!

Brent Cutshall
08-20-2016, 9:25 PM
Bob Seger, Creedence Clearwater, a little bit of John Denver, and who don't tap their foot at some AC/DC. Bob says it like it is.

Bruce Wrenn
08-20-2016, 10:49 PM
Love the fifties and Boogie music, both available on you tube. I Heart Fifties online, and local station has program on Saturday afternoon called "Bandstand" which is mostly fifties, with some early sixties. My all time favorite is the Fat Man (Fats Domino.) Gotta listen to some Arthur Smith Guitar Boogie before shutting down for the night.

Terry Kilgore
08-21-2016, 4:14 AM
How about the Moody Blues, Guess Who, Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, Kansas, REO Speedwagon.
Terry

Curt Harms
08-21-2016, 7:55 AM
I had an earworm yesterday - The song was stuck in my head but no idea of title or artist. Kelly Clarkson "Behind Hazel Eyes". That took some sleuthing.

Dan Fogelberg (gone too soon) & the Wilson girls - Ann & Nancy (Heart).

Tom Stenzel
08-21-2016, 5:55 PM
When we were dating my wife to be picked concerts like Hootie and the Blowfish, Mary Chapin Carpenter and the like. I picked bands like Dave Edmunds and the Ramones. No, I still can't figure out why she married me.

Basically a roots rock/rockabilly fan. Johnny Cash is a hero. Also a long time John Fogerty fan both with CCR and after. The one guy I remain amazed at is Jeff Beck. I was listening to Loud Hailer earlier today.

-Tom

Prashun Patel
08-22-2016, 6:58 AM
I love these threads because i can finally tell how old each of us is here! I heard somewhere that we tend to love the music we heard when we were 19 years old and all else pales to it.

By that standard my favorites are 90s British alt rock like the stone roses and the smiths. But my guilty pleasures will always be popdisco from that time like the pet shop boys and erasure.

Wayne Lomman
08-22-2016, 8:39 AM
Ken, I don't mind Cher. I also liked her movie Moonstruck. However, the great female vocalist love of my life is Stevie Nicks. No-one comes close to her. The other female vocalists I love are Suzi Quatro, Carly Simon and Chrissie Amphlet (RIP). Cheers

Rich Riddle
08-22-2016, 9:34 AM
Prashun, if you were 19 in the 1990's, that makes Rod Sheridan about your age. We'll have to see what music he likes. Being Canadian, it might be fringe music.

Mike Hollingsworth
08-22-2016, 10:44 AM
Listen to a lot of Dylan, Young, Stones, but listen more to Joe Bonamassa

Joe is da bomb!

Howard Garner
08-22-2016, 11:07 AM
I am off in left field.
Give me some good Piedmont Blues ala Rev Gary Davis, Pink Anderson and others
Throw in some 40's and early 50's and I would be fine.
A little jazz now and then.
But I can do without country and acid/hard rock. I could not name any of today's singers
But then I am old old guy (74)

Rich Riddle
08-22-2016, 11:26 AM
Howard,

Interesting music choices. I had to look up a few of them. I only like old country singers, not the new pretty ones. At 74, you aren't that old in this crowd. It's more how you take care of yourself. The older I get, the older that old gets.

Paul McGaha
08-22-2016, 12:36 PM
My preferences are:

The Beatles.
The Rolling Stones.
Motown (The Temptations, The Four Tops, The Supremes, Marvin Gay, Stevie Wonder)
Elton John
Dire Straights.
Van Morrison
Linda Ronstadt.
Bruce Springsteen.
Steve Winwood.
Joe Cocker (especially the Mad Dogs and Englishmen album).

I guess mainly classic rock and soul music.

PHM

Howard Garner
08-22-2016, 2:06 PM
Well I also listen to some vintage country. Bob Wills, etc. That Texas Swing does get to you.

Bert Kemp
08-22-2016, 2:59 PM
Just Last night my next door neighbor asked if I heard of Home Free. Nope never did but when I got home googled them and they have a ton of songs on You Tube Their ACappella and awesome to listen to. They do a lot of older country with some newer stuff .

John Lankers
08-22-2016, 10:51 PM
Suzie Quatro, Slade, Pink Floyd, Zappa, AC DC ... to name a few of my favorites, sometimes Country depending on the mood.

Mike Null
08-22-2016, 11:12 PM
I am presently watching my PBS channel doing one of those awful fundraisers but in between the begging they are playing some great '50's music. Patti Page, Pat Boone, 4 Aces, Crew Cuts, Rosemary Clooney, Gogi Grant, 4 Coins, 4 Lads.

I remember when I was a kid my uncles would gather around the radio to listen to the grand old opry. Their favorites were Hank Williams, Roy Acuff and Ernest Tubb.

I also can't name any of today's singers or groups. I graduated high school in '55.

Chris Padilla
08-23-2016, 12:02 AM
Robert Plant.
Dolly Parton.
Alanis Morrisette.
John Denver.
Axl Rose.
Ozzy Osbourne.
Aretha Franklin.
Michael Jackson.
Freddie Mercury.
Adele.
Paul McCartney.

Dave Lehnert
08-23-2016, 12:21 AM
JUDAS PRIEST

I have been to most if not every concert here close to the area since the 1980s.
Hard to believe they are in their 60's and still going strong.

https://youtu.be/KG2bM-kTWsg?t=34s

Stan Calow
08-23-2016, 2:38 PM
I heard somewhere that we tend to love the music we heard when we were 19 years old and all else pales to it.

Prashun I heard it as being related to the music we heard when first dating, so there's a link to that coming-of-age thing.

Stew Hagerty
08-23-2016, 2:51 PM
Just like Bob Seger, I Like That Old Time Rock & Roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQswfILThsY

Styx, Come Sail Away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5MAg_yWsq8

REO Speedwagon, Ridin The Storm Out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVFgEBq0EKM
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVFgEBq0EKM)
Southern Rockers - Molly Hatchet, Dreams I'll Never See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxBzUZ1q7Vw

More Southern Rock - The Outlaws, Green Grass and High Tides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIaS_vYIQ_A

And finally, for something completely different, Scottish Musicians - Clann An Drumma, The Gael:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0d5o7-6X9U

Dave Lehnert
08-23-2016, 6:32 PM
Just like Bob Seger, I Like That Old Time Rock & Roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQswfILThsY

Styx, Come Sail Away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5MAg_yWsq8

REO Speedwagon, Ridin The Storm Out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVFgEBq0EKM
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVFgEBq0EKM)
Southern Rockers - Molly Hatchet, Dreams I'll Never See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxBzUZ1q7Vw

More Southern Rock - The Outlaws, Green Grass and High Tides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIaS_vYIQ_A

And finally, for something completely different, Scottish Musicians - Clann An Drumma, The Gael:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0d5o7-6X9U

Thought it was funny this past spring there was a church festival here in Cincinnati that had Molly Hatchet in concert.
http://www.saintals.org/fest/

Evan Ryan
08-23-2016, 7:17 PM
Sadly(?) podcasts have replaced a lot of my music and book time.

Any chance you're a "best show" fan, Prashun?

Ole Anderson
08-23-2016, 9:09 PM
In my younger days I had to have music on all the time, pop and rock. Then I graduated to country. My wife and I found we both liked Collin Raye and attended many of his concerts. We were gifted a cruise next month where he is the attraction. Now, more often than not, in the car I just listen to news radio and am happy to just have silence. At home very seldom have any music playing anymore. With Sirius XM I tend to go with the newer country tunes but really like the Blue Grass channel. On my iPOD, I have about 1500 tunes, a wide mix of 60's folk, Christmas, Christian, Bach, Josh Groban, Allison Kraus, Collin Raye, Garth Brooks, Sugarland, some Beatles to name just a few. iPod mainly for long road trips.

Chris Parks
08-23-2016, 11:36 PM
Ted Hawkins, he sang Corrina Corrina title track in the movie and had a very unfortunate life that was cut short.

John Fogarty, Hot Rod Heart is an awesome song

Dire Straights

Neil Young

Duane Eddy

I might be a child of the Forties but I have grown bored with the early rock music for some reason. YouTube is a constant source of good music whatever your taste.

Mark Blatter
08-24-2016, 12:07 AM
To say the least, my taste in music is eclectic. I listen to all of the following, but the first few are my favorites;

John Denver
Neil Diamond
Gordan Lightfoot
The Carpenters
Chip Davis/Bill Fries (Anybody know what band this was?)
Del Shannon
The Platters
John Coltrane
Dave Brubeck
Frank Sinatra
Grover Washington
Candy Dulfer
Carly Simon
Simon & Garfunkle
Johnny Cash
Marty Robbins
Don Edwards
Bread

Not much of a fan of hard rock, but soft rock I enjoy. Some jazz, country (the old stuff) and ballads.

Wayne Lomman
08-24-2016, 8:33 AM
Stew, Clan An Drumma clip was good! You can't beat pipes and drums. They are a bunch of hard men. Speaking of pipes, ACDC use them well in 'Long Way to the Top'. Cheers

Chris Padilla
08-24-2016, 1:48 PM
oooh...Marty Robbins and The Man In Black, Johnny Cash! Fabulous singers!

Stew Hagerty
08-24-2016, 4:29 PM
Thought it was funny this past spring there was a church festival here in Cincinnati that had Molly Hatchet in concert.

Well that must have been one heck of a revival! I am quite sure their first album got more play time in my room when I was in college in NE Indiana than any other.
I saw them the first time in 1978 with the original lineup including Danny Joe Brown, along with 38 Special & The Outlaws. What a concert that was!!!

Stew Hagerty
08-24-2016, 4:34 PM
Stew, Clan An Drumma clip was good! You can't beat pipes and drums. They are a bunch of hard men. Speaking of pipes, ACDC use them well in 'Long Way to the Top'. Cheers

Aye, they did at that. I have traced 3 side of my family tree back to Scotland. In fact, they all 3 trace back to the same Highland Clan - Clan Ross.
I've got 3 Kilts myself and enjoy going to the various Highland Games around the Midwest. I've never tried to learn to play the pipes, but I do love listening to them. Clann An Drumma played at one of Indiana Highland Games. They were incredible, and they sure gave one heck of a show!

Stew Hagerty
08-24-2016, 4:39 PM
To say the least, my taste in music is eclectic. I listen to all of the following, but the first few are my favorites;

John Denver
Neil Diamond
Gordan Lightfoot
The Carpenters
Chip Davis/Bill Fries (Anybody know what band this was?)
Del Shannon
The Platters
John Coltrane
Dave Brubeck
Frank Sinatra
Grover Washington
Candy Dulfer
Carly Simon
Simon & Garfunkle
Johnny Cash
Marty Robbins
Don Edwards
Bread

Not much of a fan of hard rock, but soft rock I enjoy. Some jazz, country (the old stuff) and ballads.

Mark, after seeing your post I realized that I had missed one of my all time favorites in my list. Neil Diamond. I fell in love with his music back in high school in the '70s. I played his Hot August Night album over & over. What a voice he has. And it's not just a great voice, it's so distinctive. you instantly know when he is singing. My wife & I went to Cleveland to see him in concert a number of years ago. What a performer, truly one of the absolute best!

Bruce Page
08-24-2016, 4:44 PM

the late Eva Cassidy
Eva's cover of Fever blows me away every time I hear it.

Rich Riddle
08-24-2016, 4:56 PM
Dave,

We look over St. Als on the Ohio from the farm. I didn't know they had Molly Hatchet in concert.

Mark Blatter
08-25-2016, 11:33 AM
Mark, after seeing your post I realized that I had missed one of my all time favorites in my list. Neil Diamond. I fell in love with his music back in high school in the '70s. I played his Hot August Night album over & over. What a voice he has. And it's not just a great voice, it's so distinctive. you instantly know when he is singing. My wife & I went to Cleveland to see him in concert a number of years ago. What a performer, truly one of the absolute best!

Stew - I had the chance to see Neil Diamond in Billings, MT in 96 or 97. It was great and a fun concert. His voice was a little tired at that point, but he still had most of his ability. I see that I left off one that I listen to a fair bit as well, James Taylor. He has that similar style as John Denver, Gordan Lightfoot and most others that I like.

Bill Jobe
08-25-2016, 12:21 PM
Bob Dylan...in that order.

Garth Almgren
08-25-2016, 1:12 PM

I was able to see Allison Krause and Union Station at the Chateau Ste. Michelle Winery a couple years ago, and it was a wonderful concert. I don't usually think of her when I think of my favorites, but I do love her music.

My wife and I are going to see Heart, Joan Jett, and Cheap Trick together at the White River Amphitheatre tomorrow, and that should be fun. Ann and Nancy Wilson would definitely be in my top 10 favorites list.

Larry Browning
08-25-2016, 1:35 PM
I mostly listen to what used to be called progressive country, Willie Nelson, Jerry Jeff Walker, David Allen Cole, Pure Prairie League, Emmylou Harris, Etc.... I guess my favorite artist is Jackson Browne though (Got to seen him in concert last year, I just wish he had done more of his old stuff). I also like Tom Petty, Jimmie Buffet, and of course Bob Dylan. Lately, I have really gotten into The Zac Brown Band, (Chicken Fried, Toes), Those guys are really talented! Also Chris Stapleton is another really talented guy.

Bill Jobe
08-25-2016, 2:54 PM
I was able to see Allison Krause and Union Station at the Chateau Ste.

I think Allison Krause has one of the greatest voices in music today. I'd love to see her.
Quite a while back my son was not happy with her because her colaboration with (I think) R. Plant was holding up a Led Zeppelin reunion.

Bill Jobe
08-25-2016, 3:39 PM
I used to consider Arcade Fire to be right up there near Dylan, but their latest album took them way off in another direction. While in Hati they joined in a voodoo séance and apparently incorporated bits of that kind of thing in their current music.

Here's there 2007 ACL show. Don't give up on it after the frontman's wife's quirky song a few songs into the show.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sfVkwyACtxo&itct=CBEQpDAYACITCPaSluKj3c4CFdcTTgodntsFJzIHcmVsY XRlZEir5e37uf3vt1o%3D

Bill Jobe
08-25-2016, 3:48 PM
Ok, that ain't the way it was originally aired. Different lineup and songs not on the original show.

Bill Jobe
08-25-2016, 4:15 PM

Have you seen this performance?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DRurccWvJiS8&ved=0ahUKEwil87HAr93OAhUBR2MKHQIsBtMQyCkIHTAA&usg=AFQjCNHVSaOADFtEu1O6D640mbZzn6BkyA&sig2=m3bKKkQfQWH9r-0N25UDDw

Stew Hagerty
08-25-2016, 4:22 PM
Stew - I had the chance to see Neil Diamond in Billings, MT in 96 or 97. It was great and a fun concert. His voice was a little tired at that point, but he still had most of his ability. I see that I left off one that I listen to a fair bit as well, James Taylor. He has that similar style as John Denver, Gordan Lightfoot and most others that I like.

I got to see John Denver in-the-round here in Fort Wayne in 1976ish. He was so very good. One of a kjnd, never to be replaced.

Stew Hagerty
08-25-2016, 4:27 PM
Have you seen this performance?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DRurccWvJiS8&ved=0ahUKEwil87HAr93OAhUBR2MKHQIsBtMQyCkIHTAA&usg=AFQjCNHVSaOADFtEu1O6D640mbZzn6BkyA&sig2=m3bKKkQfQWH9r-0N25UDDw

I love that song. That performance must have been from the late 70's ('78 if I had to guess).

Bill Jobe
08-25-2016, 4:35 PM
I love that song. That performance must have been from the late 70's ('78 if I had to guess).

Nov. 25, 1976.

It's a take from The Band's "The Last Waltz "

Rich Riddle
08-25-2016, 6:18 PM
Do you folks listen to music over the whirl of tools in the shop?

Bruce Page
08-25-2016, 6:40 PM
Do you folks listen to music over the whirl of tools in the shop?

Music is always playing in the background.

Stew Hagerty
08-25-2016, 7:06 PM
Did anyone say Led Zeppelin?

https://youtu.be/OxPnGzTI1EE

Stew Hagerty
08-25-2016, 7:07 PM
Nov. 25, 1976.

It's a take from The Band's "The Last Waltz "

Hey, I was close

Bill Jobe
08-25-2016, 8:29 PM
Hey, I was close

Being a Dylan fan I've read some things
about his backup musicians. According to what I've found Robbie Robertson made the decision to break up and he and Diamond were the only 2 people on the planet that knew Neil was going to perform. It's been said "Dry Your Eyes" was co-written by Robbie and Neil. Robertson gets a lot of grief for basically appointing himself leader of The Band.
Also, he was one of Dylan's favorite guitarists. Robertson left Dylan because, he said, he wanted to go another direction with the guitar.

He is good, I have to admit. Much of BOB was his work.

And then there's Charlie McCoy. Look up his volume of work with Dylan and others. He played just about every instrument made on HW61 on til around 1970.
Where would Desolation Row be without his melodic guitar work. He compiled that in a very short period of time.
It wasn't til about the 500th time I listened to that song that I noticed his work during Bob's 2 harmonica solos. Incredible sound. He even gives you a small taste of it during the lyrics " Then they take them to the factories".

Wayne Lomman
08-26-2016, 7:11 AM
Stew, I am with you on Led Zeppelin. Stairway to Heaven is the greatest song of all time in my opinion. As for music in the background, I have the radio on a classic rock station 10hours a day. Oh, they do broadcast Australian Rules Football on the weekend as well. Go the Sydney Swans! Cheers

Stew Hagerty
08-26-2016, 1:04 PM
Stew, I am with you on Led Zeppelin. Stairway to Heaven is the greatest song of all time in my opinion. As for music in the background, I have the radio on a classic rock station 10hours a day. Oh, they do broadcast Australian Rules Football on the weekend as well. Go the Sydney Swans! Cheers

Classic rock is just about the only music the comes out of my speakers.
How did you like the Zeppelin video I posted?

Rich Riddle
08-26-2016, 3:58 PM
I am noticing the pattern that many woodworkers listen to older music.....it might be that we are old.....say it isn't so.

Stew Hagerty
08-26-2016, 4:45 PM
I am noticing the pattern that many woodworkers listen to older music.....it might be that we are old.....say it isn't so.

We're not old... We're "Classic".

Rich Riddle
08-26-2016, 5:16 PM
We're not old... We're "Classic".
Stew,

That makes me feel better, like a comparison to the wife's 1965 Mustang.

Stew Hagerty
08-26-2016, 5:34 PM
Stew,

That makes me feel better, like a comparison to the wife's 1965 Mustang.

Exactly, except I feel more like a '68 Z-28. Vroom, Vroom!
In reality though, I'm probably more like a Nash. LOL

Chris Padilla
08-26-2016, 5:53 PM
I dunno. Being a teenager of the 80s, I heard that Motley Crue is now considered classic rock! Boy did that make me feel old! LOL!

Chris Padilla
08-26-2016, 6:03 PM
Did anyone say Led Zeppelin?

https://youtu.be/OxPnGzTI1EEI missed that the first time through! Pretty sweet! I set up Spotify to play hours and hours of Zeppelin when I'm in the shop. Can't get enough!

Wayne Lomman
08-26-2016, 6:40 PM
Stew, the Led Zeppelin clip was great. you can't have too much of their music. Did I mention that my eldest son is a piper? His pipes have been passed down through my wife's family for longer than anyone knows.

I'm not great at posting links but there are two from Cold Chisel that bring me to tears every time.

Flame Trees which is written about Grafton in New South Wales which is my wife's birth place and my spiritual home which I am unlikely to see again.

Khe San which is about Vietnam Veterans. I was not there myself but many of my mates were.

Cheers

Mike Henderson
08-26-2016, 6:55 PM
I've been listening to a lot of Barbra Streisand lately.

Mike

Bruce Page
08-26-2016, 7:03 PM
I've been listening to a lot of Barbra Streisand lately.

Mike
I have her duets album on right now.

Stew Hagerty
08-26-2016, 7:13 PM
Stew, the Led Zeppelin clip was great. you can't have too much of their music. Did I mention that my eldest son is a piper? His pipes have been passed down through my wife's family for longer than anyone knows.

I'm not great at posting links but there are two from Cold Chisel that bring me to tears every time.

Flame Trees which is written about Grafton in New South Wales which is my wife's birth place and my spiritual home which I am unlikely to see again.

Khe San which is about Vietnam Veterans. I was not there myself but many of my mates were.

Cheers

Speaking of Vietnam...
Joe MacKenzie of Clann An Drumma wrote this in honor of his uncle. It was featured in the movie We Were Soldiers.

https://youtu.be/WWoWR_zzaLE

Wayne Lomman
08-26-2016, 7:32 PM
Stew, I'll turn into a waterworks if I listen to much more like that. Indescribably heartfelt music.

By the way, Khe San is so iconic in Australian music that a pub rock band will not be tolerated if they can't cover it on demand. They will end up on the street with guitars and amps on top of them. This is fact. Cheers

Stew Hagerty
08-26-2016, 8:48 PM
Stew, I'll turn into a waterworks if I listen to much more like that. Indescribably heartfelt music.

By the way, Khe San is so iconic in Australian music that a pub rock band will not be tolerated if they can't cover it on demand. They will end up on the street with guitars and amps on top of them. This is fact. Cheers

Well this little ditty by Chuck McBerry aught to cheer you up.

Enjoy:

https://youtu.be/UGUifVf0D-E?list=PL6F946B772C120E2A

Bill Jobe
08-26-2016, 10:40 PM
JK.

She can sing anything well.
Don't suppose you caught her performance on Johnny Carson when she sang and danced in the top of a huge spike high heal? At the end she jumped up in the air and slid head first through the high heal, out the toe and landed on her feet. It happened so fast my recalection is weak. But it blew me away.

Mark Blatter
08-26-2016, 11:53 PM
Here are a couple of videos that you likely have not seen. The first is of the Piano Guys. They filmed this one about four years ago on the top of a desert rock cliff in southern UT. Used a helicopter to lift the baby grand piano to the top. They have some incredible other videos too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgovv8jWETM

Nobody has mentioned another favorite genre of mine, Broadway tunes like this one;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjfmP7h3gBw

The list of great music from Broadway plays is just too long to try and list, yet my two favorites are Les Miserables and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51f9uEYGeKw&list=PLC805BF8932938306

Wayne Lomman
08-27-2016, 8:11 AM
Stew, now I can toddle off to bed happy!🍻

James B Lee
08-27-2016, 5:56 PM
Rory Gallagher
Eric Clapton
Buddy Guy
Son Seals
Albert King
Johnny Winter

Jim Andrew
08-27-2016, 8:44 PM
My son JD is on tour right now with "The Boxmasters" band. They are doing some state fairs, etc. They made the list of the 30 best bands in Rolling Stone magazine, a couple years ago. Their sound is something like 60's British invasion rock and roll.

Mateo Panzica
09-05-2016, 9:50 PM
For complex glue-ups, I put on Led Zeppelin's "In My Time of Dying". At something like 12 minutes, it gives you a good sense of where you are on your open time... much better than keeping an eye on the clock.

Kevin Womer
09-06-2016, 8:46 PM
Grew up with the 80's my kids and wife like that genre. I like Pink Floyd, Eagles, Counting Crows and many bands like the previous. I also like Johnny Cash and a lot of country. I guess I don' care for classical, but have never given it a chance to be fair. There really isn't much I won't listen to or give a try.

Sherry Canon
09-06-2016, 11:45 PM
I like listening to Jazz and blue's :
Among the Jazz singers my favorites would be: Louis Armstrong and Frank Sinatra, Among Blues : Jessie Smith and Eric Clapton.

Reed Gray
09-17-2016, 10:51 PM
Hmm, missed this thread....

In no particular order, singers... Roy Orbison, Roger Miller, Lady Gaga, Linda Rhondstat, Grace Slick, Redhead Express (if you like Allison Krause, you will like them), Pentatonix, Home Free (bass singer had 5 octave voice), Imelda May (for whoever liked Les Paul and Mary Ford, check out Jeff Beck Rock and Roll Party, tribute to Les Paul), Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole, and others that I can't remember at present.... Oh, Sexto Sentito, 4 young women from Cuba, more jazz type, but angel voices...

Sexto Sentito:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clMg33x1_e4 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clMg33x1_e4)

Pentatonix and Dolly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYCoyUxY2HY

Home Free and the Statler Brothers, No idea why Elvira Mistress of the Dark is not in this one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgm9gZs1hYw

Guitar, well, Jeff Beck....

I am lucky to have a PBS station locally with all volunteers who 'play what they want to play', every thing from Sons of the pioneers, old swing, blues, world beat, I never turn it off. Heck, they even let me come in and co host a couple of times after their fund raisers...

robo hippy

Thad Greiner
09-19-2016, 3:34 PM
Not unlike many of you, I've always felt Zeppelin to be the best rock and roll band ever.

I listen to a lot of indie rock, lesser known/new artists, often with folk influences. Probably my favorite, and it's not even close, would be The National. They have a mix of harder rock song and soft as well, often with horns and violin mixed in as well. A few members of the band just helped produce a huge 5-CD compilation of Grateful Dead covers as well (Day of the Dead).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfySK7CLEEg