PDA

View Full Version : Hope Easy Arm Hollowing Jig from England

Steven Ruffin
08-19-2016, 7:54 PM
A couple weeks ago I posted a question or two regarding the JT Turning "Gizmo" hollowing jig. Things have changed since then. Instead of purchasing the overly expensive "Gizmo", my research led me to a guy named "Simon Hope" in England. His web site address is www.hopewoodturning.co.uk. Simon is producing a hollowing jig that will literally blow your socks off. If the Gizmo is said to be built like a "TANK" then the "Hope Easy Arm Hollowing Jig is built like a "NUCLEAR SUBMARINE"! I just received mine today via UPS (ordered it last Saturday) and all I can say is "WOW". And by the way, it was half the price of the G----. If you are looking for a serious professional style Hollowing Jig I urge you to visit his web page. Simply Awesome!!

Roger Chandler
08-19-2016, 8:33 PM
After having visited the page you reference for Hope Woodturning, I think he has an interesting hollowing rig. To me it looks a good bit like the Monster rig I have, only the articulating arms have a different connection/bearing surface to each other. Saying it is built like a tank....well, depends on how much you have been around other systems. I do not think it is any sturdier, if as much, as the Monster system. Tank, or nuclear submarine, might be a bit of hyperbolie, but that is not saying it is not a good system.

The Kobra system is much more heavy duty, and I also believe the Gizmo probably is as well.......as much as I can tell from the pics on his website, anyway. Again, that is not to say that is is not a good system......it probably is a fine system, but it really resembles the Monster Articulated Rig that many of us have already in our shops.

After you get to use it for a bit, and have a few hollow forms under your belt with it, then please write a review for the SMC turners......we enjoy hearing about new products, and how they work in the real world environments of our shops/studios. Most would especially be interested in the depth of hollowing capability without encountering chatter.

Interesting rig, Steven..........thanks for the heads-up on it!

CHARLES D Richards
08-20-2016, 6:46 AM
Steven,
In case you are interested (or anyone else) Mike Waldt did a review on the Hope system on his channel. Here is the link https://youtu.be/mmeorXX4VZ4.

Bill Blasic
08-20-2016, 7:47 AM
I recently did a review of the Elbo Tool now being manufactured by Tim Yoder. The review is for more More Woodturning Magazine (the September issue). Looking for a very nice hollowing system at a very good price check it out or read the review. I have or have had most hollowing systems out there and was surprised by this system which has been around for quite awhile.

Mark Greenbaum
08-20-2016, 2:39 PM
Has anyone done a review of the Harrison Specialties Simple Hollowing System, yet. I purchased his golf club deep hollower about 3 years ago, and it can be very aggressive due to the nature of the cutter, and also the round shaft.

http://www.harrisonspecialties.com/simple-hollowing-system-for-woodturning-fully-articulating-arm-for-wood-turning-lathe/

No affilliation, just curious.

Steven Ruffin
08-20-2016, 6:57 PM
Roger chandler,
The reason I mentioned the Gizmo was because I had one and sold it. At the time I posted this message I was reconsidering buying it a second time with reservations. I posted my comments regarding the Hope jig simply because I was overwhelmed at the superb construction when it arrived and was unpacked. The terms I used ("Tank', Nuclear Sub) was to give those who may have an interest some idea of how well it was made. It wasn't intended to stir up negative opinions due to someones inferiority, even if they like the small light weight monster hollowing jig. It was simply an attempt to provide information. Take a Chill Pill Dude!

John Keeton
08-20-2016, 7:33 PM
Steven, as a long time owner of the Monster Hollowing systems, both articulated and captured, I thought Rogers comments were appropriate. As for your advice to "Take a Chill Pill, Dude" - not so much.

An actual review with objective observations and comparisons would be more helpful.

Bill Blasic
08-21-2016, 8:38 AM
Just for kicks I checked out the Hope and converted to US dollars. With laser and two cutting bars it comes in at just a hair under $500. When I got my Monster it was around $400 with a bunch of cutters. The Elbo with laser runs about $330. The Gizmo, best that I can find is about $700. I have both Monsters and Alan Trout's Pro-Rail Hollowing System (which by the way none of these systems can compare to but you have to pay for quality) and I use them all. I have never had the pleasure of using the Hope but I really doubt that it would be an improvement over the Monster. If your budget is small I still would suggest the Elbo a good tool for the price.

Doug Ladendorf
08-22-2016, 10:57 AM
It's a shame this took an immediate left turn to someone else's preferences. I didn't know about the Hope system and glad to know of it when I get to the point of researching one of these. It doesn't look much cheaper when all parts are included, but it does look to have a very nice fit and finish. Thanks for posting about it.

Doug

Steven Ruffin
08-22-2016, 2:11 PM
Doug Ladendorf,
Thanks for your feedback. It helps to know there are some objective people in this game.
Steve