PDA

View Full Version : Split in side of baby cradle - need suggestions on how to repair

Jim Laumann
08-19-2016, 4:47 PM
All

I built this cradle in 1981 for the birth of my daughter - it was her first bed. I had a few hand tools, a table saw, a 3/8" drill, orbital sander and sabre saw. I wasn't in shop class in high school, so I had to learn to do the wood working thing the hard way.

The cradle (pics below) wasn't a thing of beauty, the finish leaves a lot to be desired - but it was/is functional and I did some things right when I built it.

After my daughter got to be old enough, the cradle became a toy box in her room, until she out grew that function, then it was moved in to the basement for storage. Fast forward to now - my daughter will be a mom in another couple of months. She wants the cradle for her baby (flavor as yet unknown), so I've got to get this thing fixed.

Here are the pics.....

342587 342588 342589

The picture preceding this sentence shows the problem - the side is split at a glue line - the yellow things are pieces of yellow stickies I attached to show the location of the split. It's very narrow.

Other than the split, the balance of the cradle is tight - no other cracks or splits. I am certain that I'd ruin it if I were to attempt to pry things apart to get a glue dispenser nozzle in to it. Biscuts didn't exist back then, and I know I didn't have a dowel jig, so it was butted and glued.

Fixes that have come to mind are:

- Use a nail gun and toe nail the crack - but odds are that w/ my luck, the nail would blow out the side of the panel, and I'd only get one in there at best.

- Try to pocket screw it (ie Kreg jig), but I'm not sure I could get the jig positioned and locked in place on the inside of the hood. And then I'd have to fix the scar from the pocket hole.

Bottom line - I'm not thrilled with either of these ideas. All suggestions are welcome.

Many thanks

Jim

Erik Christensen
08-19-2016, 5:37 PM
I suggest you will have to live with it as any fix will not be likely to last and has the risk of making things worse. You built the crib with the ends with grain running vertically and the sides with grain running horizontally :)

another way to look at it is - you are very lucky that it lasted as long as it did and the crack is not worse than it is

lowell holmes
08-19-2016, 6:03 PM
I considered using a pocket screw to pull the pieces together, but that might cause another split to occur.

Pocket screw joints are incredibly strong.

Barry Trosin
08-19-2016, 6:22 PM
If this were mine to fix, I would try to open the split ever so slightly so you can get some glue into the joint. one method to get glue into a tighter joint is to put a bead of glue along the split and use your shop vac on the opposite side of the joint to suck the glue into the joint. After you get glue in the joint wipe off any excess and use a strap around the whole thing to pull it tight.
The resulting joint will not be as strong as a pocket screw fix, but it will not leave a visible scar either and i would think it is plenty strong.

just my 2 cents

Mel Fulks
08-19-2016, 6:27 PM
That wood is pretty soft, so I think you could put a wedge knife blade in it and smush it a little more open. Then cut a thin approximately matching sliver (on the edge of a wider piece) and glue . Trim off with sharp knife trying not to use sandpaper which would needlessly add scratches. Add a little stain. And remember it is a rather small blemish on an heirloom .

Wayne Lomman
08-19-2016, 7:57 PM
Barry is on the right track here. If you don't have a shop vac handy, you turn the crib on it's side and rub glue into the joint with you finger until it comes out the other side. Vac is better and easier though. Cheers

Cary Falk
08-19-2016, 8:23 PM
I would put glue in the joint with a syringe and then clamp it with ratchet straps

John Aperahama
08-19-2016, 8:24 PM
Can try to vacuum glue in etc but unless it is going to collapse just leave it . It adds to the patina or history of what has become a family heirloom warts and all.

Floyd Mah
08-19-2016, 9:36 PM
Leave it alone. Looks fine the way it is. Any repair will detract from what it is: an original piece of handcrafted furniture.

dennis davidson
08-19-2016, 9:42 PM
Agree with gluing. Force the glue into the crack with your finger then alternately clamp & release. Do this multiple times and capillary action will draw the glue into the crack

lowell holmes
08-20-2016, 1:46 PM
Agree with gluing. Force the glue into the crack with your finger then alternately clamp & release. Do this multiple times and capillary action will draw the glue into the crack
That is a good tip. Thanks for posting it. I would never have considered using capillary action to glue the joint.

Mike Henderson
08-20-2016, 2:49 PM
That is a good tip. Thanks for posting it. I would never have considered using capillary action to glue the joint.

You can also use a little bit of air. Open the crack as much as you can, then put glue on the opening. Then use an air hose with low pressure and blow the glue into the crack. Do this several times and you'll have glue on the whole surface to be glued.

Mike

lowell holmes
08-20-2016, 7:06 PM
You can also use a little bit of air. Open the crack as much as you can, then put glue on the opening. Then use an air hose with low pressure and blow the glue into the crack. Do this several times and you'll have glue on the whole surface to be glued.

Mike
Another new tip for me. It's been a good day.:)

Scott DelPorte
08-20-2016, 9:13 PM
Hi Jim,
I think the best way to repair your split will also depend on the type of glue that you used when you originally bonded the two pieces together. Not all glues bond really well with dried glue residue on the joint.
Thanks
Scott

Tom Ewell
08-20-2016, 11:19 PM
As long as the cradle is in safe shape structurally, could just leave as is.
Try some of the above mentions.

Or figure out a way to make it a decorative element if you need to actually 'fix' it. (do on both sides for symmetry)
Small beaded contrasting strip glued into a routed channel (inlay) as example, small veining bit to 'enhance' the split and re-stain.
Small butterfly or heart shaped' Dutchman contrasting wood, could even soften the edges of the insert and leave just proud of the inlay cut.
Applied scroll work or similar to bridge the joint. etc.

Jim Laumann
08-24-2016, 1:27 PM
All

Thanks for the input...

Erik - Orientation of boards grain - wow - completely missed that one - but it never entered my mind back then - I was just looking for the best utilization of my lumber. I did find the original pattern and instructions - guess what - grain ran both ways in them too.....

Scott - Original glue - best as I can recall - was either white (ie Elmers) or some variety of yellow glue.

Will likely try glue w/ the shop vac or compressed air.

Thanks

Jim

Peter Aeschliman
08-24-2016, 7:01 PM
Jim,

I think Erik is correct. I can't tell for sure in the pictures, but it appears that the back piece of the cradle is glued in or otherwise attached via joinery to the sides, and the grain is running in opposite directions.

As soft as Pine is, I'm pretty shocked that the splits aren't worse, given that the wood is expanding and contracting in different directions.

You might be able to re-glue it, but I suspect that will not be a permanent fix.

lowell holmes
08-24-2016, 7:19 PM
I've thought about it. I would cut sticks of wood 3/8" X 1" X 6" long and inlay them vertically on each side about 1 1/2" from the front of the hood.

A neat job would look good and stabilize the piece.

Chris Padilla
08-24-2016, 7:31 PM
If that joint was a previous glue joint then there might likely still be glue residue in there and therefore gluing with yellow/wood glues won't do diddley. Epoxy might be your only hope but I would just leave it be. Structurally, it all looks good.

Malcolm McLeod
08-24-2016, 7:42 PM
I've thought about it. I would cut sticks of wood 3/8" X 1" X 6" long and inlay them vertically on each side about 1 1/2" from the front of the hood.

A neat job would look good and stabilize the piece.

Just to expand on Lowell's idea (et. al.), try to glue as best you can, strap to clamp until dry (and hold), and then router each side for a bow-tie key inlay or other suitable shape for the impending occupant.

Roger Feeley
08-25-2016, 5:08 PM
If you want to force the glue into place, I would use vacuum on the other side to draw it.

Roger Feeley
08-25-2016, 5:09 PM
If it were mine, I would celebrate the battle scars and use butterfly inlays. Sort of like the crack in the Liberty Bell. Just go with it.