PDA

View Full Version : To you Festoolies, what hand tools do you keep/use?

Matt Lau
08-19-2016, 3:12 PM
I'm mostly a neander dude, but I've been recently charmed by the convenience of power tools (my Makita track saw, Fein dust collector, Mirka sander).
I'll be getting more Festool or Festool-like tools (integrate well with tracks and integrated dusk collections).

With a track saw and bandsaw, I'm not very likely to pull out my Diston D-8 to rip a board.
Likewise, I'm not too likely to pull out my Miller's Fall eggbeater when I have a Bosch drill or drill press at hand.
I'd like to get rid of stuff that I don't use too much, and keep stuff that makes me happy.

What hand tools do you guys keep and find most useful?

-Matt

ps. Strangely, I've found a router plane to be irreplaceable with a regular router (even my dental handpiece).
For very delicate inlay (like rosettes in a guitar, or an endcap), it's really hard to beat a very sharp chisel, some scalpels, and a router plane.

Rich Riddle
08-19-2016, 3:17 PM
I would guess many of us who are not primarily Neander types would have quite a decent collection of hand planes, chisels, and other tools.

Mike Wilkins
08-19-2016, 3:31 PM
My Lie-Nielson low angle block plane and a Dozuki pull saw. Despite having plug-in tools all over the shop, hand tools get a workout on each and every project.

Prashun Patel
08-19-2016, 4:23 PM
The answer depends on how only you like to work.

In general festool does everything after jointing and planing. Your bandsaw can do the tenons and dovetails the festool arsenal does not yet do. I guess block and shoulder planes and chisels would be useful to clean that stuff up.

Erik Christensen
08-19-2016, 5:44 PM
coming from the electric side of the hobby - I use power to get it close and hand to make it perfect.

My hand tools are saws (fine & fragile cuts not safely done with CMS or RAS), planes - esp my shooting plane & chisels.

Jim Becker
08-19-2016, 9:19 PM
The answer depends on how only you like to work.

In general festool does everything after jointing and planing. Your bandsaw can do the tenons and dovetails the festool arsenal does not yet do. I guess block and shoulder planes and chisels would be useful to clean that stuff up.
This. Individual needs are going to dictate what you "need" to keep around, what you "should still keep around, despite reduced need" and what you know you will not likely use again. That said, it may be a mistake to get rid of much because the one thing about good hand tools is that you can use them at any time and almost anywhere. That could be a factor sometime in the future and replacing things will be far more expensive than keeping the good stuff you have now.

Marc Burt
08-19-2016, 10:09 PM
I guzzled the cool-aid pretty hard over the past few years but theres no replacing a pair of back saws. My jointer plane still sees a lot of use as well. My smoothing planes generally don't see a whole lot of use anymore.

Matt Lau
08-26-2016, 12:37 AM
Thanks for all the input!

I guess that my eggbeater and spring drills will have limited utility.

Mike Cutler
08-26-2016, 1:55 AM
All of them.;)
I've never gotten rid of a hand tool because I have a machine that does the same work.
The most useful hand tools to me are chisels, scrapers, and block planes.Maybe I'm a weirdo? :p