PDA

View Full Version : Wood gloat

Dan Forman
09-27-2005, 11:04 PM
A few weeks ago, a co-worker mentioned that her husband was looking to find a new home for some wood that had been taking up too much room in their basement over the last 15 years. Upon calling him, he said it would take him a couple of weeks to get around to digging it out, and he would call me when he did. Nothing was said about price at the time, and we left it that I would come by and see if there was anything there to my liking.

Last night the call came, and he mentioned some quantities of quarter sawn white oak, butternut, and walnut. So today I went over to check it out, and there was some very nice stuff. When I asked his price, he said to just take it free of charge, as anything I left would go to his friend as firewood. :eek:

Sooo, being the solid citizen that I am, I agreed to save this generous man the anguish of seeing that fine hardwood go up in smoke, and contributing to global warming. Taking the hardship of storing (and using) this wood upon myself, I shouldered the responsibility and came home with about 15 bf of black walnut, 30 bf of QS white oak, 60 bf of butternut, (4) 6' x 11" roundnose particle board shevles, and a few 2x4's. So it looks like I'll have some material for a few Christmas gifts this year.

Sorry to the pic police, but I didn't have time for pics, but will be using some soon, and will post the end result.

Dan

Corey Hallagan
09-27-2005, 11:28 PM
That just isn't fair! Man what a haul. Is this all rough sawn lumber? Great haul either way. Congrats.

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2005, 12:05 AM
Boy what a haul. Hope to see some great pictures of some great projects.

Bernie

Vaughn McMillan
09-28-2005, 1:51 AM
Dan, I feel terrible about having you shoulder all the responsibility for sparing anguish and preventing global warming yourself, and I'd like to help. Feel free to send some of that wood out to me. I'll make sure it doesn't end up in any fireplaces. ;)

- Vaughn

Dan Forman
09-28-2005, 7:26 AM
Corey---The walnut is 1" rough, the oak is 7/8" planed but with some rough spots, and the butternut is 3/4 planed with some rough spots as well. I guess that would bring the butternut bf figure down some, as I had previously calculated it as 1" thick. The butternut is really beautiful once cleaned up, but does get squirrely when planing, hand or otherwise. I have had the same problem with black walnut as well, sort of a mini-tearout or scaley areas where the grain changes direction. In the short piece I was playing with, the grain went one way half of the board, and the opposite direction the other half. I think most of it will end up being milled down to a half inch or so and used for smaller items, or it would make really nice panels in cabinet sides or doors.

Vaughn---Thanks for your kind offer, but once such a hardship is taken on, I would find it a bit disingenuous to shirk it and lay it off on some other fellow, so I fear I have no option but to contine to soldier on and bear the suffering the best I can. ;)

Dan

Lynn Sonier
09-28-2005, 9:15 AM
Having dropped $168 at the lumber yard yesterday for 6 boards, color me green with envy. Nice haul!!

Jason Tuinstra
09-28-2005, 10:43 AM
Dan, congrats on the gloat! Nothing says "Oh happy day" like free wood! Man, I can't imagine burning walnut :eek: