PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Place(s) to Live

Rich Riddle
08-17-2016, 9:15 PM
When stationed in Whidbey Island I always foresaw returning one day; absolutely loved it. After spending two weeks in the San Juan Islands and the Pacific Northwest, I know that plan changed. We encountered a 70 year old man in a bikini bottom on a hike and it was accepted as normal. There were more nuts than we could count.

Anyway, these days I am thinking Virginia or Kentucky with somewhere warm for winter. What about you?

Roger Feeley
08-17-2016, 9:41 PM
+1 on the San Juan islands. We just moved to Virginia to be near family. If it weren't for that, we outdoor in the San Juana's. Think Hawaii but with seasons. Never above 90. Never below 20. Generally glorious.

Jerry Bruette
08-17-2016, 9:45 PM
Rich

Virginia and Kentucky are warm in the winter.

Joe Bradshaw
08-17-2016, 9:55 PM
RTP area of NC. It has everything you could want.
Joe

Michael Weber
08-17-2016, 9:56 PM
+1 an Juan islands. Weirdness doesn't bother me. Also Victoria, British Columbia which is practically the same place.

Matt Day
08-17-2016, 10:04 PM
Rich

That's what i was going to say!

Mike Henderson
08-17-2016, 10:30 PM
There's no place better than California (or as we often call it, Paradise). We have great weather and you can drive from wonderful sandy beaches to snow on the mountains in a very short time. We have outstanding natural attractions such as Yosemite and the Sierra Nevada mountains. The population is diverse - you will see people from all over the world on the street. We have some outstanding restaurants of all types of cuisines. If everyone had to spend six months in California before they could move someplace else, we'd have standing room only.

It's the nearest thing to Heaven on Earth.

Mike

Rich Riddle
08-17-2016, 10:49 PM
Well to an old man's bones, it's cold in Kentucky and Virginia in the winter. What is the RTP area of North Carolina. Michael if you like weirdness, then the Pacific Northwest is for you. Every day we thought we couldn't be shocked, we were....perhaps they were there in the 1980's in my youth. Heck, back then, maybe I was weird.

Wade Lippman
08-17-2016, 11:00 PM
Rich

The warm areas are hellish in summer.
The only good weather is coastal California, but it is way too crowded.

Any place is a huge compromise. Except for the taxes, I like upstate NY. Winters are okay if you ski, and the summers are as nice as anywhere.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-17-2016, 11:01 PM
I prefer where I am currently living.

We have four seasons with relatively mild winters. Most winters we get little or no snow. Within 100 miles of here I can hunt everything that is legal in the lower 48 except antelope (pronghorn). I have to drive a couple hundred miles to SE Idaho to hunt pronghorn. There are 8 ski areas/resorts with a 4 hour drive with some as close as 90 minutes. We live at the confluence of two major rivers with associated water sports including sailing, white water rafting, kayaking and jet boating. We can fish for several kinds of trout, salmon, small mouth bass, channel catfish and even sturgeon. We have most of the major retail stores including Costco here in Lewis-Clark Valley and Spokane, WA is only 110 miles away if necessary.

In the Valley, we have two fine hospitals, one of which is a regional medical and trauma center. Locally we can receive cancer treatment and even have an invasive cardiologist for diagnosis and some invasive treatments.

Located less than a mile from our home is a regional airport serviced by Delta and Horizon/Alaska airlines with flights connecting to the rest of the country via SLC or Seattle.

A respected state college resides here with 2 universities within 30 miles, (Washington State University and the University of Idaho) .

We have a variety of restaurants,2 microbreweries in the Valley along with several wineries.

Best of all, it's a blue collar community and we don't have the high population like major metropolitan areas with the associated problems.

James Baker SD
08-18-2016, 11:16 AM
as an amateur astronomer, somewhere with dark skies (far away from large cities), high elevation to be above the clouds and moisture. Parts of New Mexico would work well for my INTERESTS. Then there are my NEEDS, I cannot breathe worth crap, so near sea level is mandatory, near many medical facilities is mandatory, bye, bye dark clear skies. Then there are my wife's NEEDS, she travels a lot and reasonable distance from a big airport is mandatory. Life is full of compromises and you try to make to best of it. East of San Diego ended up a reasonable balance meeting the needs, with a hint of the wants.

Al Launier
08-18-2016, 11:30 AM
Charleston, SC was recently chosen as the best place in the world to live. Well, I guess many may agree with that as it is a beautiful area. I have relatives in Mount Pleasant, part of the greater Charleston area, whom we visit for Christmas week. It is abeautiful location, but the "Low Country" is not for me. I particularly do not like the "evevation" style homes and especially do not like the summertime temperatures & humidity near the ocean.

I have lived in New Hampshire most of my life and enjoy the four seasons, but from what my daughter tells me, who has lived there, I would also recommend Utah as did Ken because of the four seasons with mild winters. If there is one thing I can't stand is living in "dense pack" areas.

John K Jordan
08-18-2016, 11:38 AM
I've lived in Tennessee for almost 46 years now. I have lived in Kentucky, Iowa, Pennsylvania.

There are people settling in Tennessee from the cold north and the dry west. Property prices are extremely low compared to many areas. I bought a 27 acre farm with three outbuildings and a timber frame house for less than an older house on a small lot in many places in the country. Taxes are low. Gas prices are always way below what I see listed as the national average. Winters are mild. Summers are humid. My brother in Ohio said our growing season is about two months longer than his.

Like much of Kentucky, TN is central to many things - much of the eastern US is within a day's drive: Outer Banks Beaches, SC, Florida, Penna. For big city fix Atlanta GA, Nashville, Asheville NC, Lexington KY, Greenville SC are close. The Great Smoky Mountains is in the back yard. Lots of waterways and TVA lakes for watersports, plenty of hiking, biking, dirt biking, camping, are within a short drive. Good universities. Excellent medical facilities. Lots of culture, museums, theater, galleries. Art and craft is a huge focus: John C Campbell, Arrowmont, and Appalachia Center for Craft are located in and near TN.

Unlike many parts of the country, wood is widely available and cheap or free. Of course, this is also true in VA, KY, and NC and other southeastern states.

JKJ

Jim Laumann
08-18-2016, 12:38 PM
Well to an old man's bones, it's cold in Kentucky and Virginia in the winter. What is the RTP area of North Carolina. Michael if you like weirdness, then the Pacific Northwest is for you. Every day we thought we couldn't be shocked, we were....perhaps they were there in the 1980's in my youth. Heck, back then, maybe I was weird.

RTP = Research Triangle Park = Raliegh/Durham/Chapel Hill area

Matt Meiser
08-18-2016, 12:49 PM
Weather is definitely a compromise almost anywhere. I was in southeastern VA in mid June and eastern NC in early July and the humidity both places was hellish to me. I bet the winters are a lot nicer though. Minneapolis is really nice, but holy cow is it cold in the winter. We were there for Thanksgiving last year and it was about like our average winter day here.Most years our winters aren't too bad and our summers aren't too hot. We have long periods that are kind of dreary though in the spring and fall. Don't forget your natural disasters--hurricanes, fires, tornadoes, floods...seems like everyone has something.

The rest of it is all personal preference. Some prefer to live 50 or more miles from the nearest Walmart (I tend to gauge "remoteness" of a town by distance from Walmart...if you don't even have a Walmart nearby, you are probably pretty remote.) Some want to be within walking distance of anything they could ever want. Some want recreation, some shopping, some arts, etc.

My wife and I talk about moving somewhere different after our daughter graduates from high school (which she started this week :eek::eek::eek:.) I want to be in an economically diverse major metro area with a lot of different things to do as well as any services and shopping we would want. A hub airport will be important as will weather we can live with. We're thinking we'll try-before-we-buy by renting which should also let us live cheaper through the college years. If we don't like it we can try somewhere else. I'd be interested in trying urban living where we could walk to restaurants and basic shopping. It would be VERY different from where we were 2-1/2 years ago.

Erik Loza
08-18-2016, 1:42 PM
I loved the Central Valley of Northern California but the cost of living and crowding caused me to leave. I love Austin except for three months during the summer. We are thinking od buying a small cabin somewhere in the mountains of CO or NM as a summer retreat, to get out of the heat.

Erik

David Helm
08-18-2016, 1:43 PM
My favorite place is this 1.5 acres upon which I live. Big trees, large pond, beautiful house, excellent shop, large vegetable garden, wife's studio in very quiet countryside, but only ten minutes from town. And the PNW has the best year round weather of anywhere in the lower 48. I also have to say that those of us in the Northwest think the rest of the country, with a few exception, is very weird.

John Blazy
08-18-2016, 1:50 PM
I so agree with everyone, because your individual favorite place has personal meaning to YOU. Not to mention that I would love to live in California, lower southern states, etc.

But so few people know of the Caribbean clear waters of . . . wait for it . . . Northern Michigan. I live in Ohio (brown water capital), but I designed my glass bottom boat specifically for the Traverse City area of the northwestern part of the lower peninsula. Family has had a cabin there since the fifties.

This pic below is not to show my boat, but look at the color of the water. 50 ft visibility, sand bottom on most of the lakes. Two of the top ten most beautiful lakes in the world are an hour from each other. Ive seen shipwrecks and fossilized coral through the windows, and cant get enough. Live there? You bet. FL in winter though. Maui preferred.

Peter Kelly
08-18-2016, 3:04 PM
Todos Santos, Baja California Sur Mexico. Amazing scenery, weather, food and people. Close to La Paz and Loreto and not overly touristy.

http://i.imgur.com/FfO0qng.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9OWqz1l.jpg

I love NYC too. Just so damn expensive these days.

Jim Becker
08-18-2016, 3:12 PM
Unfortunately, we can't make any weather assumptions for most places anymore...things have become somewhat predictable. I always thought I might want to move someplace else someday if I'm ever able to retire post the younger's college education which starts a year from now, but I'm not so sure anymore. Professor Dr. SWMBO doesn't prefer "hot" and I don't prefer "cold"...and we get both here. LOL Perhaps my mind will change over time as well as with what decisions our daughter's make for settling in the future.

Erik Loza
08-18-2016, 3:20 PM
Todos Santos, Baja California Sur Mexico. Amazing scenery, weather, food and people. Close to La Paz and Loreto and not overly touristy.

http://i.imgur.com/FfO0qng.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9OWqz1l.jpg

This forum needs a "Like" button.

Erik

Jim Koepke
08-18-2016, 3:49 PM
I loved it when we lived in California. It got a bit crowded in our area so we moved to a more rural part of Southwest Washington state.

Weird doesn't really bother me. Portland, OR has "Keep Portland Weird" signs around town. They may be weird, but most of the time they are just having a beer festival, or a naked bike ride.

jtk

Peter Kelly
08-18-2016, 3:51 PM
Erik - it's an easy flight from DFW to San José del Cabo, Todos Santos is a straight shot about 90 min up México 19 :cool:.

Rich Riddle
08-18-2016, 5:35 PM
Erik,

Fill your tub with warm water and use a projector to transfer the view to your bathroom walls. Then call for a nice cold drink just like you would down in Mexico.....

Mike Henderson
08-18-2016, 5:35 PM
For retired people, remember that Medicare doesn't cover you outside of the US. So while retiring to Mexico sounds nice, think about how you're going to get health care.

If you retire close to the US border, you can drive to the US for care.

Mike

Erik Loza
08-18-2016, 6:00 PM
Erik - it's an easy flight from DFW to San José del Cabo, Todos Santos is a straight shot about 90 min up México 19 :cool:.

Erik,

Fill your tub with warm water and use a projector to transfer the view to your bathroom walls. Then call for a nice cold drink just like you would down in Mexico.....

Funny, we are going back down to Tulum for the umpteenth time, early in 2017. I don't know that I would want to live there but it's best beaches I've ever been to...

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/erikloza/Tulum/Ourfrontporch.jpg

Baja is on our list, too, Peter.

Erik

Rich Riddle
08-18-2016, 6:15 PM
Mike,

Last year I had a few medical issues when in Mexico. There was doctor there licensed in Mexico and the USA. He practiced in both countries. He was more than happy to see a patient inside Mexico and bill through his practice in the USA. Not sure of the legality on his part, but he did just fine.

Brett Luna
08-18-2016, 6:30 PM
I grew up an oil company brat, then served in the USAF for 20-plus years, so I've lived a few places: MS, AR, OK, TX, LA, AL, CO, South Korea, FL, NC, Germany, and now Alaska. I really enjoyed living in Louisiana during 5 years of my youth and a bit more in the USAF...good hunting, fishing, food, etc.

RTP area of NC. It has everything you could want.

I was stationed down the road in Goldsboro for 11 years and when it came time to retire, I considered living in the RTP...I worked in health care administration for the latter part of my career...or in Ashville, since I loved the Blue Ridge area. But Alaska won out. I'm where I want to be. I tried for years to get stationed here but never drew the lucky ticket. I got Germany instead, which was another of my dream assignments. I loved it there but not quite enough to live there. So when they asked me where I wanted to retire, I told 'em they were finally sending me to Anchorage, Alaska.

Funny thing is, I had been here only once, for one night, in December of 1980. I was on my way to South Korea aboard a C-141 and we stopped overnight at Elmendorf AFB, in Anchorage. I got off the plane. It was dark. There was snow on the ground. I grabbed a bite, checked into my room, and hit the hay. When I got up in the morning, it was still dark. There was still snow on the ground. I got on the plane without having seen much of anything and didn't come back for another 18 years later, to the month. So I've been here for just about another 18 years and I don't regret moving here for a minute.

The scenery is grand to be sure. I live at the foot of a mountain at the edge of a national forest and mountains at almost every compass point. On a clear day, we can see Denali, about 130 miles away. Moose are more common than stray dogs. Sure, the winters are dark but the northern lights are not to be missed and summer days of 19-plus hours can be glorious, when it isn't raining...and sometimes, even when it is. Even during the drudgery of my daily work commute, I never tire of the views.

The people are something else, too. We're very diverse in the usual ways that diversity is measured: race, ethnicity, national origin, you name it. Last time I heard the statistic mentioned, 99 languages were spoken among the children in the Anchorage School District. We're also pretty diverse in personalities: friendly, independent, adventurous, quirky, in addition to the cantankerous, colorful characters you may have heard about.

It doesn't hurt that Alaska was recently placed #2 in a recent ranking of Freedom in the 50 States, by the CATO Institute. That and *cough* bigger than Texas.

Mike Null
08-18-2016, 6:45 PM
I'm a Buckeye. But the dumbest thing I ever did was leave California to go back to Ohio when I was discharged from the Corps more than 50 years ago.

I fit right in with the wierdos; I love the food, the geography and the weather.

Wayne Lomman
08-18-2016, 6:52 PM
Tasmania. I have lived and worked all over Australia and this is where we chose. It is affordable, has spectacular scenery, a variety of climate zones, the weather is never boring, the cleanest air on the planet which is fact, not hyperbole, peaceful and a freedom from officialdom that is so good. And, the quality of food, beer, wine and cheese is top of the tree. Speaking of trees, it's woodworker's paradise. Cheers

Ken Fitzgerald
08-18-2016, 7:05 PM
I grew up an oil company brat\....MS, AR, OK, TX, LA, AL, CO, South Korea, FL, NC, Germany, and now Alaska. I really enjoyed living in Louisiana during 5 years of my youth and a bit more in the USAF...good hunting, fishing, food, etc.

Brett, I am proudly oil field trash, myself. I grew up in some really obscure places like Rock Springs,WY, Laramie, WY, Kemmerer, WY, Blanding, UT, Craig, CO, Flora, IL in the 50's and 60's. I skied Steamboat Springs in 1960 when it was a one horse cow town. The skiis were wooden with leather straps. A friend and I took his toboggan off a couple small ski jumps there.

Frederick Skelly
08-18-2016, 9:38 PM
I grew up an oil company brat, then served in the USAF for 20-plus years, so I've lived a few places: MS, AR, OK, TX, LA, AL, CO, South Korea, FL, NC, Germany, and now Alaska. I really enjoyed living in Louisiana during 5 years of my youth and a bit more in the USAF...good hunting, fishing, food, etc.

I was stationed down the road in Goldsboro for 11 years and when it came time to retire, I considered living in the RTP...I worked in health care administration for the latter part of my career...or in Ashville, since I loved the Blue Ridge area. But Alaska won out. I'm where I want to be. I tried for years to get stationed here but never drew the lucky ticket. I got Germany instead, which was another of my dream assignments. I loved it there but not quite enough to live there. So when they asked me where I wanted to retire, I told 'em they were finally sending me to Anchorage, Alaska.

Funny thing is, I had been here only once, for one night, in December of 1980. I was on my way to South Korea aboard a C-141 and we stopped overnight at Elmendorf AFB, in Anchorage. I got off the plane. It was dark. There was snow on the ground. I grabbed a bite, checked into my room, and hit the hay. When I got up in the morning, it was still dark. There was still snow on the ground. I got on the plane without having seen much of anything and didn't come back for another 18 years later, to the month. So I've been here for just about another 18 years and I don't regret moving here for a minute.

The scenery is grand to be sure. I live at the foot of a mountain at the edge of a national forest and mountains at almost every compass point. On a clear day, we can see Denali, about 130 miles away. Moose are more common than stray dogs. Sure, the winters are dark but the northern lights are not to be missed and summer days of 19-plus hours can be glorious, when it isn't raining...and sometimes, even when it is. Even during the drudgery of my daily work commute, I never tire of the views.

The people are something else, too. We're very diverse in the usual ways that diversity is measured: race, ethnicity, national origin, you name it. Last time I heard the statistic mentioned, 99 languages were spoken among the children in the Anchorage School District. We're also pretty diverse in personalities: friendly, independent, adventurous, quirky, in addition to the cantankerous, colorful characters you may have heard about.

It doesn't hurt that Alaska was recently placed #2 in a recent ranking of Freedom in the 50 States, by the CATO Institute. That and *cough* bigger than Texas.

Sorry Brett, but when I think of your lovely home, all I can think of is
COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich Riddle
08-18-2016, 9:49 PM
Brett, I am proudly oil field trash, myself. I grew up in some really obscure places like Rock Springs,WY, Laramie, WY, Kemmerer, WY, Blanding, UT, Craig, CO, Flora, IL in the 50's and 60's. I skied Steamboat Springs in 1960 when it was a one horse cow town. The skiis were wooden with leather straps. A friend and I took his toboggan off a couple small ski jumps there.
Ken,

I remember when Steamboat Springs was much smaller, but not a one horse cow town. Just for clarification you were talking the 1950's and 1960's, right?

Brett Luna
08-18-2016, 11:57 PM
Brett, I am proudly oil field trash, myself.

I can't make that claim. My dad was a white collar Texaco (marketing or distribution, I think) and every time he got a promotion, we moved.

Sorry Brett, but when I think of your lovely home, all I can think of is
COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The flavor of cold varies a lot here. The interior and north slope get really cold but places like Fairbaks also see 90s in the summer. I think of Anchorage as a somewhat colder, slightly drier version of Seattle.

Mark Blatter
08-21-2016, 12:26 AM
There's no place better than California (or as we often call it, Paradise). We have great weather and you can drive from wonderful sandy beaches to snow on the mountains in a very short time. We have outstanding natural attractions such as Yosemite and the Sierra Nevada mountains. The population is diverse - you will see people from all over the world on the street. We have some outstanding restaurants of all types of cuisines. If everyone had to spend six months in California before they could move someplace else, we'd have standing room only.

It's the nearest thing to Heaven on Earth.

Mike

I have visited many places in CA and would live in San Diego, if it was still the 1950's. Other than that, my favorite place is still Montana. Western Montana around Flathead Lake, central Montana around Helena, or eastern around Billings. All are great. It is still the Last, Best Place, or as a friend from New York calls it, God's Country. I was just in Helena and Bozeman this past week visiting two of my daughters and was again reminded of how great a place it is....few people and lots of open space. Dry now, but to sit and watch the three rivers of the Missouri flow past, knowing that in about 45 - 60 days (taking out the time spent in lakes) that water would be entering the Gulf of Mexico is pretty wild. We spent a day at Hauser Lake and were one of about 10 boats on the lake.

Yes the winters can be a bit cold, but that is God's way of telling those from sunny climes to go home. Plus, no sales tax. You buy a $1 item, you pay $1.

I have lived in WA, UT, MT, FL, CO and RI. Plus I spent 6 months in OK. I will take Montana over all of them. I have to admit though, that the Olympic Peninsula, or around Bremmerton, Port Townsend, etc. would be a great second choice.

Stewie Simpson
08-21-2016, 12:49 AM
Australia; we have the right controls in place to protect our citizens.

Rick Potter
08-21-2016, 1:46 AM
There is no place like home...click, click, click.

Rich Riddle
08-21-2016, 9:46 AM
There is no place like home...click, click, click.
Rick, I grew up on Kansas and even lived in SW Kansas where they keep Dorothy's home (it's in Liberal). There is no place like Kansas but I will never live there. Flat as a pancake, scientifically proven.

Art Mann
08-21-2016, 10:23 AM
I just finished a 2 week tour of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and thought it might be a great place to live. However, I had second thoughts driving towards Copper Harbor and seeing a sign beside the road that said they had a record snowfall of 315 inches (IIRC) in a recent winter. Even that kind of weather might be fun for a little while.

Rich Riddle
08-21-2016, 10:33 AM
I just finished a 2 week tour of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and thought it might be a great place to live. However, I had second thoughts driving towards Copper Harbor and seeing a sign beside the road that said they had a record snowfall of 315 inches (IIRC) in a recent winter. Even that kind of weather might be fun for a little while.
We vacationed to Copper Harbor two summers ago and went to Isle Royal in August. We saw those signs. It dropped down to 36 degrees at night on the island, in August. They close up the first week of September because of looming snow. The return boat ride had terrible waves. While the UP looks beautiful, it's summer last about two days. That might be why only two percent of the citizens of Michigan reside there.

Jerry Bruette
08-21-2016, 11:20 AM

You have to remember that 315 inches is lake effect snow, same thing that Buffalo,NY gets every winter, go 50 miles to the south and the snowfall totals are alot less.

We vacationed in Savannah,GA a couple years ago in September and thought the apologies for the temps in the 70's were funny, we told everyone we were more than pleased it wasn't any hotter.

Dave Anderson NH
08-22-2016, 12:50 PM
27 years ago my wife and I were able to mover over the border from Mass to NH. Being in southeastern NH means a half hour drive to the seacoast for beach lazing, swimming, or sea kayaking. An hour to 1 1/2 hour drive puts us up in the White Mountains for the appropriate season sports of hiking, backpacking, whitewater kayaking, rock climbing, ice climbing, or skiing of any type. Lakes for fresh water sports are plentiful. The hunting and fishing are quite good. We enjoy the 4 seasons and particularly like living in a small town of which has grown from the 1800 people of 27 years ago to the 4900 of today. I have a small lot of 2 acres and only the house across the street is visible though in winter I can see 2 others when the leaves are off the trees. We like the small town atmosphere and the extra amenities of a city are only half an hour away. The only ways I'll move out of our house are on a gurney or in a rubber zipped bag.