PDA

View Full Version : Mini Gloat

Bernie Weishapl
09-27-2005, 9:12 PM
Well the new Marvel 60 single speed router with a speed controller made it in today. I also ordered 3 bits with 1/2" shanks. One is a drawer lock bit, mitre lock bit both with setup blocks and a angled trim bit. They said the angle trim bit with the bearing cuts cleaner than any others. So will try it. In the picture with the bits are 3 90 degree squares. Suppose to be very accurate. We will see they were on sale.

Either Friday or Monday the rest of my order will make it in. It is a Grizzly G0555 bandsaw with riser kit. I looked at a lot of bandsaws and when you have to buy a fence, a mitre gauges, riser kit, etc. they get quite expensive. I read the reveiw John Hart put on SMC. My Delta BS150 will be used for small sawing and my lovely wife likes it so much better with the 1/8" blade and cool blocks than the scroll saw. She likes the 1/8" and 1/4" blades doing her craft wood. So we are keeping it.

Kinda cool both working in the shop.

Bernie

Scott Donley
09-27-2005, 9:39 PM
THATS A MINI GLOAT? My perspectve must be way off. Congrat's Nice score!

Corey Hallagan
09-27-2005, 11:23 PM
Bernie... Mini Goat?? 3 1/2 HP ROuter, Router Bity's and a brand new Griz BS is a mini gloat. That is a bonafide gloat my freind! Congrats on all Bernie. I envy you on that new band saw. You sand bagged on us, you never mentioned a new BS was in the works. Very cool. Let us know how the router works Bernie and I am interested in how those lock miter bit sets work. They say that the set up blocks make a pain in the butt set up a breeze. I have considered getting a set for box work.
Congrats,
Corey
P.S. what is that other thing, a new square? Btw, I agree pretty cool that you and the wife are both working in the shop. Wish I could get my wife on the scroll saw!

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2005, 12:25 AM
Thanks Corey and Scott. I appreciate it.

Corey it got to be where when one of us was on the bandsaw the other needed it. With the 1/8" timberwolf blade she would rather use it than the scroll saw. She says it is so much easier to move wood around on it and the wood doesn't jump around on her. So we were sitting and watching TV last Saturday night and she said why don't you get you the bandsaw you want and I will use the Delta on my crafts. She said to try and keep it under $600. I got it with the riser kit, freight, and lift gate for $562.20. Delta and Jet would have been $750 to $850 by the time you got the riser, fence, mitre and freight. So it came as quite a surprise to me also Corey and of course I would never agrue with the boss.

Also Corey I talked with the guys at MLCS and they told me that the mitre lock bit was excellent for making boxes and drawers. The setup blocks I got with it he said I could be setup in a couple of minutes. One edge goes thru flat and the other vertical on it edge.

Yes they are squares Corey. I got a 4", 6", and 8" on sale. They are suppose to be precision. He said a lot of guys buy them and use them to check there carpenters squares with them, square there table saws, bandsaws, etc. I forgot how accurate he said they were but my carpenters square is off when compared to these.

Thanks again guys.

Bernie

Jim Knauss
09-28-2005, 4:02 AM
Congrats on the new tools! Let us now how that router performs I might be in the market. If your wife uses the bandsaw for scroll type work, look into a Carter roller guide. I have one on my G0555 and LOVE it!
Good luck with new tools,
Jim

Tony Falotico
09-28-2005, 6:27 AM
Interested in hearing your thoughts on the G0555 with the riser attached. BS is my next (and probably last) major purchase, the G0555 w/ riser is on the list of possibilities.

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Jim these Grizzly's G0555 now come with upper and lower bearing blade guides as a standard option. I don't know if they are Carter or not but the people that have these units that I spoke with said they are great and are easily adjustable. As for the router I will let you know. They had some single speeds with a speed controller on special along with brass guides for $139. Not sure how many they had and how long the special would be on. I like the idea of the speed control out where I can adjust it without having to go under the table to do it.

Tony I went with this unit because of options that came with it for the money. You get the fence and mitre plus the cost of the riser kit is about half of what Delta and Jet wants. Budget was one thing my lovely account reminded me of when I was looking. I only saw a couple of bad reviews on this saw and the ones I did see most were shipping or Amazon problems. I think there was one about being built in Tiawan but what isn't any more. I will let you know when it arrives and I can put it thru it's paces.

Thanks again.

Bernie

Andrew Ault
09-28-2005, 11:47 AM
I have the Grizzly G0555 with a riser block. It works as well as any 14" bandsaw I've ever used and better than one I used to have. It is easy to adjust and everything is well made and assembled. The tension release is a nice feature and the roller bearing blade guides are easy to adjust and work well. I am satisfied with the purchase. Someday I'd like a big bandsaw, but I'll probably keep this one too.

The riser block is a piece of cake to install. I did it by myself - just held the top in place with one hand and put the bolt in with the other. With a helper it would be even easier.
- Andy

Greg Narozniak
09-28-2005, 11:50 AM
I have one on my G0555 and LOVE it!
Good luck with new tools,
Jim
Ditto to what Jim said. Great Bandsaw I am very happy with mine!

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Thanks Andy that is good to know. My lovely helper can surely put the bolt in for me. Someday like you I will get a monster to work with.

Bernie