PDA

View Full Version : Activated Carbon for Filtration System

Robert . Payne
08-16-2016, 11:58 PM
Hey SMC,

Was curious if anyone knows the specific type of Activated Carbon that is best for laser fume extractors. We're down in New Zealand and buying replacement carbon from our filter unit supplier is too costly (shipping 30KG overseas is well over $750).

We probably cut about 75% bamboo/woods and 25% acrylic/plastics -- hardly ever touch anything else.

Any help or comments about previous purchases from members appreciated!

Cheers,
Robert

Samuel Espy
08-18-2016, 3:01 PM
I understand you want to order locally, but here is a link (http://generalcarbon.com/vapor-filtration/gc-4x8s/) to the 4mm Coconut Shell Granular Activated Carbon that Mike Geiger (sales engineer at GENERAL CARBON CORP.) suggested when I described my intent to use it in my DIY laser-engraver filtration system. It works well for me, but I mainly engrave rather than cut so YMMV. Hopefully the general info. helps some.

--Samuel

Robert . Payne
08-18-2016, 10:26 PM
Hey Samuel,

Thanks for your commends, that's exactly what our local company has recommended. I don't really think it matters much whether you engrave or cut for the carbon stage of a filtration system ( unless you're not running pre-filters! ).

Our filter system goes Bag Filter -> F8 Deep Pleated Box Filter -> HEPA Filter -> Carbon.

The supplier of our system and the replacement filters say theirs is virgin extruded bituminous coal but it's really hard to know what the difference there is!

Have you been using the Coconut Shell Carbon for awhile?

Samuel Espy
08-18-2016, 10:39 PM
I mentioned that I mainly engrave because the smoke/fumes/particulate emitted when lasering wood is proportional to the amount of material vaporized/burned/removed. Therefore cutting emits much more than engraving. I have used it for over a year, but with very few average hours per day usage as external issues have prevented me from launching my business yet. Good luck.