PDA

View Full Version : Question about prescription cards

Louis Brandt
08-16-2016, 2:50 PM
Hello,

My wife and I are both on Medicare, (only Medicare, not Medicaid) but we don't have a prescription card. We see ads indicating that pharmacies such as CVS and Walgreens offer prescription cards free, and they claim big discounts on FDA approved drugs. But this seems too good to be true, so I'm skeptical.

Do any of you have such cards, and if so, are they beneficial? Do you really get discounts, or is this mostly hype?

Thanks,

Louis

Jerome Stanek
08-16-2016, 3:12 PM
we check Good RX to see what our scripts would cost that way. Sometimes they are way cheaper

Rich Riddle
08-16-2016, 3:17 PM
We signed up for the Walgreen card but in all honesty it rarely, if ever, offers lower prices. In contrast, we received a card from both the VFW and AARP that sometimes lowers costs. Those didn't cost us anything, so if you are eligible call one of those organizations and ask for one.

Jay Jolliffe
08-16-2016, 3:29 PM
Don't you have to join AARP to get the card...I get info all the time from them & I've never seen the free med card..

Mike Henderson
08-16-2016, 3:38 PM
You'd have to check this but I believe Medicare Part D prohibits discounts. You'll notice that when you see an advertisement for some drug, they'll often say that they offer a card which will give you a rebate on your part of the drug costs. But that only works for insurance and not for Medicare.

The reason the drug companies offer those rebates is that there's a big markup on the drug so they make a lot of money from the insurance payment for it. The insurance companies attempt to discourage you from using the drug by having a big co-pay. So if the drug company eliminates the co-pay, you'll use their drug instead of a cheaper alternative, maybe generic. You generally don't care how much your insurance company pays. It affects you, but only indirectly.

The Medicare people were wise that that racket and made it illegal for drug companies to give Medicare recipients a rebate for the co-pay.

Mike

Rich Riddle
08-16-2016, 3:44 PM
I suppose you do have to join or send me a pm for one of our extras.

George Bokros
08-16-2016, 4:19 PM
We signed up for the Walgreen card but in all honesty it rarely, if ever, offers lower prices. In contrast, we received a card from both the VFW and AARP that sometimes lowers costs. Those didn't cost us anything, so if you are eligible call one of those organizations and ask for one.

My wife and I have the Walgreens card and we save substantially on our prescriptions. I just refilled one of my prescriptions, I paid $15 for 90 days supply and the regular price is over $200. Not sure why Rich sees no savings on his scrips.

The Walgreens card costs us somewhere around $40 for the two of us.

I suggest calling Walgreens and asking what your specific prescription would cost you using their prescription plan and what it costs to join the plan for a fair accurate comparison for your specific situation.

Louis Brandt
08-16-2016, 5:10 PM
Thanks George (and all who responded). We'll check into that.

Rich Riddle
08-16-2016, 8:55 PM
George,

Our cards were free. Perhaps we are discussing two different types of cards.

George Bokros
08-16-2016, 9:52 PM
George,

Our cards were free. Perhaps we are discussing two different types of cards.

I am not aware of plan at Walgreens that has free cards but I suppose it is possible. I was wrong on the cost of our Walgreens plan it is only $35 for the two of us.

Jerome Stanek
08-17-2016, 7:39 AM
I am not aware of plan at Walgreens that has free cards but I suppose it is possible. I was wrong on the cost of our Walgreens plan it is only $35 for the two of us.

Have you checked what that drug would have cost you on Good RX. My sil had a drug that would have cost her $600 and her card would let her get it for $125 but through Good RX she paid $40

Rich Riddle
08-17-2016, 7:56 AM
My wife just shook her head at me. Apparently I have been using a Walgreen's loyalty card and thought it was the prescription card. Their loyalty cards are free though.

Joe Tilson
08-17-2016, 8:02 AM
Because I am on Medicare, I cannot get any discounts on drugs. My doctor has given us cards and my wife has no problems, but because of medicare I get no discounts at all. She is still working and has company insurance.

Be careful of RX cards they may not be accepted in all states.
We got one that was accepted in Kansas only. We live in South Carolina(long way to travel for savings).

Rich Riddle
08-17-2016, 8:07 AM
Considering the OP is on Medicare and looking for discount cards, why would you not be able to use discount cards if you are on Medicare? Now I am confused, as if I wasn't before this.

George Bokros
08-17-2016, 8:18 AM
Have you checked what that drug would have cost you on Good RX. My sil had a drug that would have cost her $600 and her card would let her get it for $125 but through Good RX she paid $40

Two things. One, GoodRX does not list the dosage I take, I am taking a very small dosage (I take .125mg and their smallest listed is .375mg) and what they list the lowest price is $103.83 with their coupon compared to my $15. I doubt any place will beat the $15 price.

Thanks for the tip though Jerry.

CORRECTION: Found my dosage and the cheapest price is mail order at $16.20 so for saving $1.20 I will buy locally.

Jay Jolliffe
08-17-2016, 8:33 AM
So far I'm lucky that my insurance pays for all me meds. I had to take one for twelve weeks every day over the winter & the cost was $96,000....Glad I had insurance

Bert Kemp
08-17-2016, 9:49 AM
I'm kinda confused also as my medicare copay for my prescriptions is $7 or less and one of mine regular cost is $600 a month I pay $7

Kurt Kintner
08-17-2016, 2:21 PM
I have a prescription for a med I've been taking for 3 years.... It always cost me $9 for 90 thru Humana...
my doc just sent in a renewal, and Humana called me and said its now $439 for 90 .....I checked Walmart's website and they sell it for $4 for 30 .....

Jerome Stanek
08-17-2016, 2:56 PM
My drugs cost me $4 for 90 pills and $10 for 90 without a card if I use my card it costs me $25 for each