PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a light trim nailing solution

John Loftis
08-16-2016, 10:33 AM
Every time I lug my 'portable' compressor to a jobsite, I grumble about it. It's heavy, and awkward, and deafeningly loud (older Porter Cable two-wheeled unit). And I generally am just tacking in a little trim or putting up a piece of crown. I'm curious about other solutions. I need something that has at least enough power to drive 30+ nails, say 18 gauge, 1 1/2" long, into hardwood/case goods.

I'm intrigued by something like this, but the one reviewer said it froze up after each use: https://www.amazon.com/Interstate-Pneumatics-WRCO2-K2-Regulator-Paintball/dp/B0098ZB3VS/ref=sr_1_12?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1471356525&sr=1-12&keywords=interstate+pneumatics

I guess there are also battery powered nailers, which have two big disadvantages that I can think of. First, you are tethering your gun to a specific battery technology, and batteries seem to become obsolete after a year or two. Second, you can only use 1 particular gun with a given battery. So I wouldn't be able to use my existing guns or switch from an 18 gauge to a 23 gauge nailer.

Does anyone have experience with different options? Or have other ideas? I guess I could buy a tiny compressor, which would be much lighter but would still be pretty loud (and would probably cycle frequently)...

Cameron Hood
08-16-2016, 10:46 AM
For jobs that don't take a lot of nails, I just use an air tank--the ones that you fill with air at the local garage and carry back to that tire that is low. It is light because it doesn't have a motor or compressor, they usually store up to 125 pounds of pressure and they last quite a long time. I have used one tank to put up crown mouldings in two or three rooms before the pressure went down to the point where I needed to fill it again.

John Loftis
08-16-2016, 10:57 AM
For jobs that don't take a lot of nails, I just use an air tank--the ones that you fill with air at the local garage and carry back to that tire that is low. It is light because it doesn't have a motor or compressor, they usually store up to 125 pounds of pressure and they last quite a long time. I have used one tank to put up crown mouldings in two or three rooms before the pressure went down to the point where I needed to fill it again.

Clever idea. I guess I could fill up a tank like that using my big compressor at the shop and then take the small one to the jobsite. Something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Hyundai-HHT5GAT-Inflation-Tank-5-Gallon/dp/B00N4SWHIS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1471359379&sr=8-6&keywords=air+tank

Jamie Buxton
08-16-2016, 11:11 AM
I use the smallest Senco compressor. I think it is the PC1010. It is light enough to carry easily -- 20 pounds -- and small enough to move around customer homes without danger of dinging anything. It is also quiet. It comfortably drives trim nails and staples.

Jerry Wright
08-16-2016, 11:25 AM
You might look at gas cartridge nailers. Had a large upstairs picture window installed. The installer used one for the trim. Don't know the brand, but I see there are several makes.

Michael Cole
08-16-2016, 11:28 AM
I have a Rolair Air Buddy that is very light and seems to work. Also have a little larger California Air Tools compressor that works well. It is quite a bit heavier than the Rolair however.

Rick Potter
08-16-2016, 12:13 PM
Plus one on the little Senco. Unbelievable quiet for an oiless . Mine has lasted 10 years, and is only now taking longer to cycle, but still useable. $100.

Tom Ewell
08-16-2016, 12:31 PM
I use the Craftsman version of the little Senco, takes a while to initially load up but using all of my pneumatic finishers (pinner through 15g) has been no problem as long as the nailing cycle is not too rapid with the bigger guns.

Always leave it on the truck tucked under a shelf, pretty long life (10+) so far only have had to replace the drain valve a couple of times.

Jim Becker
08-16-2016, 1:45 PM
The small Husky compressor I use "in the house" for portability while using my guns for trim work, etc., is pretty compact and lightweight. It's not been bothersome at all and it's light enough that I have no problem sticking it up on top of my finishing cabinets (well above my head) when it's not actively in use. It will run a lot with the 15 gage gun, but is pretty reasonable with 18 gage brads and my pinner.

glenn bradley
08-16-2016, 5:55 PM
Dad has the little Senco as well. Very light, very quiet, not quick to recover but, we are talking light use right?

John Loftis
08-16-2016, 6:08 PM
Easy enough! Just ordered the little Senco for $90 on Amazon. Thanks all for the feedback.

I'd never heard of the gas cartridge Paslode guns... man that's cool.

Jared Sankovich
08-16-2016, 6:37 PM
You will really like the senco.

Jason Roehl
08-17-2016, 6:25 AM
I read somewhere once about using a CO2 tank, properly regulated, of course. Lots of stored energy there in a 4# or 5# tank, and quite inexpensive to fill. I have a 4# tank for my kegs at home, and I get it filled at a local fire protection place for about $10-15.

Charles Lent
08-17-2016, 4:31 PM

That depends on how many nails you will need to drive. You may just want to leave the compressor in the truck near the job and carry the air tank back and forth to where you are driving the nails. Run an extension cord out to the truck location to run the compressor. It's lighter than the compressor and easier to pack up when finished. My 5 gallon sized tank will drive about 30 brad nails with a Porter Cable brad nailer before the pressure falls to where it won't drive the brads completely in.

They also make small tanks to hang from your belt that come pre-charged, probably with CO2 (carbon dioxide) to run small nailers. Ivcan remember seeing them about a year ago, but wasn't interested for my use. They would cost more, but with the carbon dioxide in liquid form in the tank there would be many more shots available from a much smaller tank, but at an added expense of whatever these pre-charged tanks cost.

Charley

John Blazy
08-17-2016, 5:45 PM
I loved my Paslode Impulse cordless nailer, precisely for installs without compressors. The little meth-acetylene gas tank had a hell of a punch. Worked great for many years. And when the fuel cells ran out, I tossed them into a bon fire for fun fireworks (propellent surrounds the bag of fuel for constant pressure).

Wayne Lomman
08-17-2016, 6:47 PM
I use a paslode impulse as well. One for framing and one for finishing. Both are great to use and 100 percent reliable. I keep the air powered framing nailer for hard wood framing and an air pin nailer for stainless brads on window beads. Cheers