PDA

View Full Version : sawing duh moment

Phil Mueller
08-16-2016, 8:43 AM
I must admit I was close to giving up on handsawing. I really wanted to get away from using a contractor saw to rough out lumber. So, having slipped down the slope and acquiring a few dozen saws and learning to sharpen them, I sawed and sawed and couldn't keep to a line. Sometimes moving left, sometimes moving right. I started to question my saw set, stance, and everything else that seems to go into good sawing. I bored my family watching sawing YouTube videos on the family room TV. Everytime I went into my little shop, I would stare at my saw till and wonder what am I going to do with these now?

Well, I made a saw bench and it made a complete difference. Sawing at workbench height (even crawling up on the workbench) apparently just wasn't working for me...too much upper body movement or something.

I know, I know. It's been a recommendation here on umpteen threads, but I resisted one more piece of "furniture" in my small shop. Well, turns out it's worth every square foot of space. On one hand, I'm happy my sharpening/setting skills are fairly sound. On the other hand, I went through a lot of frustration for lack of a simple saw bench.

Point being if you're new to sawing and having a tough time, don't hesitate to build a saw bench. Duh!

James Waldron
08-16-2016, 10:14 AM
Dovetails next???

Congrats on making progress. Always a happy thing.

Nicholas Lawrence
08-16-2016, 10:20 AM
It made a big difference for me too Phil. Glad it is working for you.

Dave Anderson NH
08-16-2016, 12:24 PM
Yes it does make a difference, particularly in ripping. As for the few square feet of floor space it takes up, consider it multi-purpose. I use my saw bench, horror of horrors, as a bench and a seat.