PDA

View Full Version : My Lathe is almost here....

keith strohpaul
09-27-2005, 7:30 PM
Well, I finally order the starter kit from PSI, made a trip to Woodcraft and picked up a couple of additional items, so I should start turning within the week. Any comments or suggestions that would help me in the "Practice" phase of my new found hobby would be greaty appreciated....

Don Baer
09-27-2005, 7:50 PM
Hi Keith,
There is going to be a Pen Turning class at the Rockler store your area on the 28th. I think that that would be a good place for you to start. Check out their web site to get the details.

Oh and welcome to the creek.

Keith Burns
09-27-2005, 8:26 PM
Other than attending a class and doing a little reading, practice, practice, practice ! I started by putting a block of wood between centers and turned to get a feel for the tools and what they would do. Don't get discouraged if your first pieces don't turn out. Good luck and remember to post pictures !

Earl Eyre
09-28-2005, 1:28 AM
I'm totally repeating the last couple posts but I just want to emphasize them in bold. I turned for 1 1/2 years before taking a class. Even though I read and watched videos, I learned far more in that class than I learned on my own. Then I took another class from a world class turner (Christian Burchard) and learned 200% more than I knew before! That class -- three days worth -- cost way more than all the tools and lathe at that point, but it was worth every penny. So take classes, get in a club, you won't regret it.

Earl